Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with.

Well like the topic says, I am gonna take a welding class this coming up semester as an extra class for units to stay under full time student status, and to help when it comes to making custom piping for myself. The classes they offer are as follows.

Basic Arc Welding Theory
Basic Shielded Arc Welding Practice
Basic Oxyacetylene Welding
Advanced Oxyacetylene Welding
Advanced Arc Welding Practice
TIG, MIG and FCA Welding Theory
TIG, MIG and FCA Welding Practice
Pipe Welding Practice

Any ideas as to which class to take?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (AB16A2T)

basic arc welding theory

Rob
Old 11-25-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (rjardy)

Hmm... Basic Arc Welding Theory it is, I have a feeling it'll be a while before I get to weld though, that is alright. As long as I get down what I need to. Anyone else?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (AB16A2T)

Up
Old 11-25-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">basic arc welding theory

Rob</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? I would think he should take the MIG theory one. I took arc and oxy and (just because they come first in classes before tig and mig) and I'll problem never do that again. I wish I would of been taught MIG instead. By the way...how the hell is there shielded arc, anyone? I've never even heard of it
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (sporkcrx)

arc is the base of all electrical welding....
note the THEORY part of it all. Thats the basis of everything, good stuff.
Rob
Old 11-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why? I would think he should take the MIG theory one. I took arc and oxy and (just because they come first in classes before tig and mig) and I'll problem never do that again. I wish I would of been taught MIG instead. By the way...how the hell is there shielded arc, anyone? I've never even heard of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

sheilded arc is when you use a sheilding gas like argon. Mig like you weld unless you use flux core is a sheilded welding.

Rob
Old 11-25-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just take the TIG course.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:32 PM

Yea but the MIG one is theory also. Do you have any pics of a arc welder w/ a shield? I never knew you could do that!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:46 PM

They have practice courses also, but I think it would be better to start with the basics and then work my way up to other classes, and might benefit me better than just going out, buying a welder and having at it. Save in materials cost etc.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:37 AM
New User

Dude, if youa re going to be using a MIG, take the MIG course. If youa re going to be using the TIG, take the TIG course. Each method requires very different welding practices and skills. Take the one you will use the most.

I vote Basic Sheiled Arc Welding Theory. It'll cover MIG and flux cored I am sure.

After that, jump in the practice courses or the TIG stuff.

randy
Old 11-26-2003, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

GTAW
GAS tungstun ARC welding! You have never heard of tig welding? funny..
Mig is arc principals as well.
ARC= electricity! get it?

Rob
Old 11-26-2003, 03:55 AM

I would take the "TIG, MIG and FCA Welding Practice"

if all you are welding is charge pipe, you wont need to know the stuff they teach in the theory class... the will prolly cover different joints, some metalurgy, stuff about the different types of welding, and codes/strength testing and whatnot...

with just doing charge pipes, a "practice" class will improve your welding a lot... you will leave able to weld nicely... a theory class wont improve your skills much, just your knowlege
Old 11-26-2003, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (Phoenix GSR)

Thats true but in my mind its just best to get basic knowledge of ARC (electric) welding. Kinda like a start from the bottom. I guess it depends on how much you want to learn and how in depth you think you need to get. It is science, so...
If your going to just weld charge pipes and stuff, do what the others say i suppose, it makes more sense. But if you want to have a full grasp on welding and the science that goes allong with it, I would start from the bottom. HTH

Rob
Old 11-26-2003, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IVe got an ARC welder ill sell you for $150. Get some scrap metal, weld it up, get good.
Then, when youre ready, Ill pry have my Lincoln SW 175 f/s for your to learn on
If you have good guidance, ie, maybe some videos from a "Welding/fabbing Forum" ( ) you will learn in NO time flat.
&lt;---- who has never had any kind of instruction....EVAR!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
&lt;---- who has never had any kind of instruction....EVAR! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whoa!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (Tinker219)

I would go right for the tig coarse if they will let you.. it would be nice to learn the "proper" way instead of the way that works. I have dreams of being certified someday.. Just to say I am..
Old 11-26-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking a welding class, which one do the welding pros recommend I start with. (Overblown-Teg)

Okay i guess I am the only one interested in theory and the applied science of welding

screw it just buy a welder and weld.....

Rob
Old 11-26-2003, 04:59 AM

nah that stuff is cool but if I was chosing one coarse it would be a hands on one with a little class room stuff. One nice thing about theory is when you buy one of those fancy welders with all the ***** on it you actually will understand what your doing when you change things..
Old 11-26-2003, 05:17 AM

Hmm. I think I may take you up on your offer on that ARC welder, but I am probably going to start with the Basic Arc Welding Theory class just to get some idaes going for me, than jump to either Basic Shielded Arc Welding Practice or TIG, MIG and FCA welding theory or practice, probably start with practice. Then also buy that ARC welder from Tinker and start welding away on scrap while I take my classes.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> By the way...how the hell is there shielded arc, anyone? I've never even heard of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

shielded arc is another name for stick welding. the full name is shielded metal arc welding. done with a consumable rod that is covered in flux. the flux melts with the arc and has to be chipped off the weld when you are done.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sheilded arc is when you use a sheilding gas like argon. Mig like you weld unless you use flux core is a sheilded welding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are correct that the gas provides a shield but that is not usually what is refered to by shielded arc welding.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RGAZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I vote Basic Sheiled Arc Welding Theory. It'll cover MIG and flux cored I am sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not likely that a course in Basic Sheilded Arc Welding Theory will cover anything but stick welding. I see how it would be easy to think this from the name but in the welding industry the different processes are very distinct.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (racerxadam)

I gotcha, thanks for clearing that up. Yea, do the mig course. Nothing is more worse than chipping off flack from arc welding and having it go into your shirt or something
Old 11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

If given the choice I would probably say screw the college course and go for a vocational course. Around here you can take an adult education class through a union or vocational school. I know the union it would probably be around $600-$700 for maybe 9months of classes for 2 nights a week and you learn theory as you go.

Its good the college actually has welding courses though. You really don't see that anymore but since you have to choose one, I'd go with one of the practice courses and go talk to the teacher(s) involved with the class to determine which class would be best.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Redlineracer)

Oxy/Acet is for real men

i heard, anyway
Old 11-30-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Re: (Redlineracer)

I think that sounds like a good idea, I should probably approach and find the teachers invovled with the classes and see what their input would be on the matter.