Notices

symptoms of bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 11:09 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default symptoms of bad fuel pump?

i think my stock fuel pump might be goin bad...

signs of running lean on spark plugs... bogging and stuttering...

what are some signs of a fuel pump goin bad and how can i check it out? would it pop a check engine light if it was goin bad?

thanks in advance...
Old 11-15-2002, 11:14 AM

Default Re: symptoms of bad fuel pump? (dlplayboy)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=322801
Old 11-15-2002, 11:15 AM

You'll probably end up hearing alot of buzzing...cutting on and off...if so, that's causing the bogging....Maybe not enough fuel is going in. Also, might be your spark plugs? Are you running on all 4 cylinders? Check those and let us know whats up
Old 11-15-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Re: symptoms of bad fuel pump? (Esone3)

Just for the record, my fuel pump sounded mint. I must have clicked it on and off 20 times before i checked pressure...and everytime it spooled up fine...pretty strange. I would expect it to stutter..but it just held a constant 10 psi..that's all it could do.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:08 PM
New User

You'll probably end up hearing alot of buzzing...cutting on and off...if so, that's causing the bogging....Maybe not enough fuel is going in. Also, might be your spark plugs? Are you running on all 4 cylinders? Check those and let us know whats up
are you referring to the inline fuel pump? its buzzing normally. its the stock fuel pump im worried about. whats the best way of testing to see if the stock fuel pump is running up to par? im goin to try to get a fuel pressure guage and hook it up to the fuel line hooked up to the fuel filter as soon as i get one.

EDIT: im going to test for spark again to make sure im running spark in all four cylinders.

[Modified by dlplayboy, 2:15 PM 11/15/2002]
Old 11-15-2002, 03:42 PM

Well there's a fuel line going to the FPR correct? Take off the fuel line and see if fuel comes out...If there is fuel, then your fuel pump is fine. My car isn't starting right now..After checking the pump, the plugs, my ingiter, all that **** (and everything was working properly) I found out that my injectors aren't spraying...all 4 of them just sit there..so now I gotta figure out why it's not sraying..Maybe the wiring?
Old 11-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i don't know how many of you run N2O setups with aftermarket fuel pumps but i'll ask anyway. i've been having fuel delivery problems ONLY when injecting N2O on my DP kit. i've been through everything and either checked, cleaned or replaced it, except for the fuel pump (which is a Walbro 255HP) and the fuel line from the solenoid to the IM fitting.

the motor runs fine N/A, but occasionally the CEL for the O2 sensor will come on during deacceleration like getting off the highway or slowing down for awhile.

i've replaced the O2 sensor as well. this problem started out of nowhere. everything was running great and i check under the hood almost everyday to make sure it all looks good. it's a fuel problem only when injecting. it doesn't matter what the fuel psi is at, or the injection size, or the ignition timing, or the cam timing. the injectors were cleaned by RC 18K miles ago and work fine. the fuel filter was changed at the same time.

the fuel pressure won't budge from about 50/51 psi even with the FPR adjustments or a stock FPR. ignition system is fine and fuel system overall seems to be fine. wiring harness and ECU are stock and work fine N/A. the problem is only while injecting N2O but i'm down to either the pump or maybe a clog in the line from the solenoid to the IM. but then why does the CEL for the O2 sensor come on randomly without injecting.

i've even gone to the extent of ripping the entire IM and DP stuff apart to look for clogs or damaged lines etc. everything is in perfect shape. the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump not maintaining pressure while injecting so therefore it leans out. the cylinders lean out more as you go up in #. #1 plug isn't too bad, #2 and #3 are worse and #4 starts to melt the plug electrode. the detonation starts after a gear or so of injecting, then it all goes to hell.

thanks for any input if someone has had similar problems.

later
Old 11-15-2002, 05:39 PM
New User

Well there's a fuel line going to the FPR correct? Take off the fuel line and see if fuel comes out...If there is fuel, then your fuel pump is fine. My car isn't starting right now..After checking the pump, the plugs, my ingiter, all that **** (and everything was working properly) I found out that my injectors aren't spraying...all 4 of them just sit there..so now I gotta figure out why it's not sraying..Maybe the wiring?
thats weird... you might have a short somewhere or a blown fuse.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:29 PM

Yeah..I think it's the relay..Imma change it right now...Good luck with your problem though...Hope everything works out.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:35 PM
New User

Yeah..I think it's the relay..Imma change it right now...Good luck with your problem though...Hope everything works out.
cool. thanks. let us know if you get your problem taken care of.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:20 AM

Default Re: symptoms of bad fuel pump? (sweet)

hey i don't know how many of you run N2O setups with aftermarket fuel pumps but i'll ask anyway. i've been having fuel delivery problems ONLY when injecting N2O on my DP kit. i've been through everything and either checked, cleaned or replaced it, except for the fuel pump (which is a Walbro 255HP) and the fuel line from the solenoid to the IM fitting.

the motor runs fine N/A, but occasionally the CEL for the O2 sensor will come on during deacceleration like getting off the highway or slowing down for awhile.

i've replaced the O2 sensor as well. this problem started out of nowhere. everything was running great and i check under the hood almost everyday to make sure it all looks good. it's a fuel problem only when injecting. it doesn't matter what the fuel psi is at, or the injection size, or the ignition timing, or the cam timing. the injectors were cleaned by RC 18K miles ago and work fine. the fuel filter was changed at the same time.

the fuel pressure won't budge from about 50/51 psi even with the FPR adjustments or a stock FPR. ignition system is fine and fuel system overall seems to be fine. wiring harness and ECU are stock and work fine N/A. the problem is only while injecting N2O but i'm down to either the pump or maybe a clog in the line from the solenoid to the IM. but then why does the CEL for the O2 sensor come on randomly without injecting.

i've even gone to the extent of ripping the entire IM and DP stuff apart to look for clogs or damaged lines etc. everything is in perfect shape. the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump not maintaining pressure while injecting so therefore it leans out. the cylinders lean out more as you go up in #. #1 plug isn't too bad, #2 and #3 are worse and #4 starts to melt the plug electrode. the detonation starts after a gear or so of injecting, then it all goes to hell.

thanks for any input if someone has had similar problems.

later
Holy crap! I had a very similar problem. The only difference is that I blew a valve, rebuilt the head, and then melted a piston. I was running a 75 shot wet shot at the time. I noticed the melted plugs after the disaster. I was using NGK BKR7E's. After putting in a used motor I haven't touched the n20.

[Modified by sando112, 8:26 AM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-19-2002, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: symptoms of bad fuel pump? (sando112)

holy crap! I had a very similar problem. The only difference is that I blew a valve, rebuilt the head, and then melted a piston. I was running a 75 shot wet shot at the time. I noticed the melted plugs after the disaster. I was using NGK BKR7E's. After putting in a used motor I haven't touched the n20.

[Modified by sando112, 8:26 AM 11/19/2002]
you were using the Walbro 255 pump or another pump?

i was also running the NGK BKR7E's gapped at .035". timing was fine and fuel pressure was fine on my setup. pretty much everything was fine but i kept melting or blowing the #4 plug for no apparent reason (other than improper fuel delivery).

it really pissed me off so i ripped everything apart and replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one. same thing was going on but the car was much faster til the cylinders leaned out. now i have a new fuel pump sitting next to me which i'm gonna install in a few minutes to see if that's the problem.

i haven't successfully used my N2O system for the past 4-5 weeks and it sucks!

Old 11-19-2002, 08:41 AM

you were using the Walbro 255 pump or another pump?

i was also running the NGK BKR7E's gapped at .035". timing was fine and fuel pressure was fine on my setup. pretty much everything was fine but i kept melting or blowing the #4 plug for no apparent reason (other than improper fuel delivery).

it really pissed me off so i ripped everything apart and replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one. same thing was going on but the car was much faster til the cylinders leaned out. now i have a new fuel pump sitting next to me which i'm gonna install in a few minutes to see if that's the problem.

i haven't successfully used my N2O system for the past 4-5 weeks and it sucks!
I had the stock pump. I would think it's past due after 143,000 mi. I have a a BBK (Walbro) 255lph sitting in my trunk now too. Some people said that the fuel might have puddled in the intake manifold. How far away did you have your injector nozzle from the intake manifold? Also, I was thinking of replacing the solenoids as well to discount any blockage in the system.

The fastest time/mph was a terrible 15.3@94 mph with a 2.5~60 ft. before the big bang.

[Modified by sando112, 12:44 PM 11/19/2002]

[Modified by sando112, 12:45 PM 11/19/2002]
Old 11-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with a DP kit you don't have to worry about nozzle installation or mounting, it's all in a plate that only bolts in one way with one line input for the N2O and one line input for the fuel. there is no puddling in the intake tract, i only use it at higher rpm usually after the high cam activates so there is enough velocity.

i installed the new Walbro 255HP yesterday and it's alot better. with the 75 shot i still had a few specs of piston/valve on some of the plugs but none melted or anything. then i started playing with the jet sizes and i think i ran out of N2O so i gotta get the bottle filled tomorrow. i'll see what happens then.

BTW, fuel solenoid is brand new and the N2O hasn't been used for very long, maybe 2 months or so. lines also look good, no blockage.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:33 PM

so how's everything going with the fuel situation? Any changes?
Old 11-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i changed out the Walbro 255 for a new one and it seemed about the same but i gave it a few runs then ran out of N2O. i got the bottle filled the next day and started injecting again to see what happens. it seemed to work ok but only for 4-5 second intervals, about 1-1.5 gears. then all of a sudden in stopped working alltogether so i popped the hood and found the microswitch hanging by the wires. the NOS bracket for the switch broke off. so i made my own bracket to hold the microswitch in place and went out again. also while all this other stuff was being fixed i replaced my B&M FPR with a stock Teg FPR.

i was driving along and some stock BMW was screwing around so i flipped the switch in 2nd at 5k and the tires broke loose, shifted into 3rd and they were still spinning, then i shifted into 4th and got traction (only doing about 85 MPH ). the motor sounded fine so i tried it again down the road and the same thing happened. i was like what the hell is going on. BTW i had the 100 shot jets in.f

i got to where i was going and checked the plugs, 1-3 were about perfect and #4 was starting to melt. so i decreased the N2O jet to a 75 shot and ran 900-950psi.
after that i only took a couple short runs and the #4 plug looked better, though it looked like it was still not getting as much fuel as it should. i haven't used the N2O system in the meantime. i might try it tonight and see how the mixture is.

i don't know if it's 100% fixed yet.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:33 PM

It says "SX" on the side..............