Notices

sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem....

im so ******* pissed right now words cant describe.

i just got my car off the dyno at around 930 tonight. its now 1230. i called my buddy up to come check it out. hes got a eg coupe with s2s1 cams and an otherwise stock b16. we went from a roll in first and were DEAD EVEN. this is not acceptible. my car not 3 hours ago made 257 to the wheels. i dont have any idea what is wrong. it has oil. all the ic pipes are on tight. it was just freakin tuned. it makes no sense.

i called the guy that tuned it (really good guy and knows his ****) and he seems to think its the clutch. its the stock clutch with around 60k on it and was slipping pretty bad before i put the turbo on. what i dont understand is even if the clutch is shot, when the car was NA i wouldve still been even with or pulled on this kids car. could a clutch really cause me to be this slow or is there something else wrong? help me out guys.

EDIT: heres the dyno if it helps.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (EK9 BEEZLER)

i one raced a b20vtec ,built head in an si coupe with my 97 prievia and i just pulled away from him all cause of his slipping clutch so thats likley it.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (jdmcrx34)

what the hell kinda dyno is that? what gear was the pull. how big is the turbo? is that sheet just made up? i dont think i've ever seen a dyno sheet that was just a pretty much straight 30 degree angle. most sheet's i've seen starts off kinda low then you can clearly see where it started building boost and clearly see where full boost was reached. what's your complete setup?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (flip1199)

Yeah, kind of unusual dyno. I guess it's a dynojet thing. Where's the tq?

Anyway, who cares. A stock clutch at that power is DEFINITELY a problem. What did you expect? The clutch was slipping before hand, so it's only going to slip even more with more power.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (EnzoSpeed)

[QUOTE=Anyway, who cares. A stock clutch at that power is DEFINITELY a problem. What did you expect? The clutch was slipping before hand, so it's only going to slip even more with more power.[/QUOTE]

what he said
Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (EnzoSpeed)

Stock clutch needs to go bye-bye, especially if there is a hint of slippage at stock power levels. Why is there no torque line on the graph and why is there no measure of RPM, only MPH?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 AM

it looks unusual because it's not rpm but mph.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:43 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (avex)

Yep, clutch needs to be better.

Also, do you happen to have a deltagate wastegate? That power curve looks to me like the boost may be creeping....simply because your max power is right at redline. So if you think about it you are use like 200whp or less for the duration of a race.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (Dunc)

My stock clutch lasted less than a week on boost before it started slipping badly...

I'd be on the freeway and hit the gas, the boost would go up, the RPMs would go up, but the MPH would barely raise... LoL.

Yeah, throw a good clutch in there and take advantage of all the horsepower.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (EK9 BEEZLER)

thanks i feel a little better now. ive got a sprung 6 puck waiting to go in but he leaves for vegas today and wont be back monday. thats also part of the reason for the tune. he just wanted to get the A/F right at 8 psi and make sure i could drive it while he was gone. he only spent like 30 min tuning it.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup you have to replace your clutch, my friend had a brand new oem clutch and only lasted a few days under boost
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 AM

one thing i dont understand and something that hopefully someone on here can explain to me is, why is it that with the shitty clutch the car can put down the power on the dyno but not on the street?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:38 AM

well what's your setup???

with a decent clutch you may have put down more power
Old 10-12-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (LostSolVTEC)

b16b with 3mm headgasket. (comp at 9.3:1)
drag mani/dp
custom 2 1/4 ic piping.
spearco 6 in ic
deltagate set to 8 psi
1st gen dsm bov
t3/t4 .57 exhaust a/r
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 AM

can you not tell that the clutch is slipping when you do a pull?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:58 AM

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (gritsak)

i wasnt doing the pulls. i was busy putting my stock fuel pump in my friends dc2.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 AM

so someone else was driving your car during the said pull with your friend?

it only takes a second to figure out if your clutch is the problem. do a 3rd or 4th gear pull and if the rpms shoot up or fluctuate without the car pulling hard with them, its slipping. but like everyone has said the stock clutch isnt made to hold much power over stock.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem.... (gritsak)

yeah i know for sure its slipping. it slipped before i even turboed the car. and anytime last night when i would shift quick it would slip.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 AM

you need to get that power to the ground,....clutch, lsd, good tires......etc
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (CivicBwoy)

i have an lsd and good tires.

more questions.

should the turbo be smoking? i know its new but it smokes, it looks like it may be a small oil leak or something cause its white smoke i dunno. but it only smokes around the turbo.

also. when running open downpipe, is the car supposed to shoot out a lot of smoke when on the gas?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK9 BEEZLER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9 BEEZLER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an lsd and good tires.

more questions.

should the turbo be smoking? i know its new but it smokes, it looks like it may be a small oil leak or something cause its white smoke i dunno. but it only smokes around the turbo.

also. when running open downpipe, is the car supposed to shoot out a lot of smoke when on the gas? </TD></TR></TABLE>

what color of smoke? The turbo may smoke a little after install if the person who was handleing it had greqase and stuff on there hands. Other than that, it shouldn't . Are we talking about an ebay turbo from xs power???
Old 10-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (mattssi)

smoke is whitish gray. its not a ghetto xs power turbo its a garrett turbo. its a nice quality piece. the a/f was 11.8 across the board. i just got home from eating lunch and when i turned the car on the cel started flashing then i turned off the car and it didnt come back on. so i took out the ecu, took off the steering wheel and im gonna let it chill until i can diagnose what the hell is wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 PM

bump for some more help
Old 10-12-2005, 07:06 PM

a brand new turbo will burn off some stuff when it gets hot the first few times...unless you have any other indications of a leak then i would just keep an eye on it and make sure it goes away.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:19 PM

ive driven it 40 miles now. do you think itll continue to burn stuff off for a while?

Quick Reply: sweet so my newly turboed car is fucked up help me diagnose the problem....