Notices

Supercharger reliablity?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger reliablity?

I know they don't put out as much hp as turbo's but how much more reliable are they compared to a turbo? JRSC kit vs. Turbo kit?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharger reliablity?

Originally Posted by Midwest_Ridaz
I know they don't put out as much hp as turbo's but how much more reliable are they compared to a turbo? JRSC kit vs. Turbo kit?

Well there are less parts so there are less things to go wrong. Superchargers get really hot so you need to worry about detonation. You should get hondata or some good engine management to go with it and get it tuned by a pro. That can be expencive but at that point you will have a reliable set up. But nothing can compare to a well thought out turbo set up. Since honda's have small displacement motors, superchargers don't make as big of a difference as they would on say a V8. So after all that money is spent on a reliable SC setup you could more than afford a reliable turbo setup that makes more power. Superchargers have instant power so you may like the power delivery of an SC over turbos bigger numbers. It's up to you!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my blower works great and makes power
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really like my jrsc hatch .Like was said before though they do have intake temp issues especially if you up the boost .Lht makes and aftercooler set up for the jackson racing s/c but they dont come cheap .Hondata is a must ,stronger mounts, stronger clutch ect ect .. Its not the cheapest route going supercharged but man it sure makes one fun DD .Properly set up a supercharger will smoke many cars especially light to light .The biggest issue I have had so far is a couple of belts but once I started running the poly v belts /goodyear gatorbacks the problems pretty much diminished .Although the belts do take a beating at high rpms .
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated earlier, it all depends on your HP goals. if you looking for just a little more up and go, the JRSC would be the most reliable, hands down, there would be no point to turbo the car for 40-50 more pony's, the amount of money spent on parts and labor on a reliable low HP turbo kit is just not worth it. now, if you plan to seek more power later on down the line...reliability will start to go down regardless of which setup you choose but the turbo route would be the way to go as it may be cheaper and easier in the long run for the upgrades.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks for everyone's opinion and comments. I really appreciate it.