Notices

supercharger compression ratio

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger compression ratio

ok i was looking into turbo-ing my car this spring. let me first say before i go into anymore detail about my idea...IF YOU ARE GOING TO FLAME ME JUST LEAVE. this is just something i thought up in my head and was wondering if anyone had tried it.

OK. that being said here we go. I read somewhere that a higher compression ratio with low boost is more efficient than low compression high boost. my thought was that i could build a block with something like 11.5:1 compression, then supercharge it. i thought with that sort of an all motor set up, power would be created in the lower end of the power band, then the supercharger has no spool. so i would be making much more power in the lower end with less turbo lag and all that jazz.

my question to everyone is....will this work? I think the thing i would run into would be detonation, but could a good tune alieviate that?

again, this is just an idea of mine. If you are going to flame, this isnt the place, however if you think this wont work tell me and explain why. Just looking to get some ideas, just wanted to have a little different set up than most other people, thanks for the input and answers in advance

peace guys
Old 01-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: supercharger compression ratio (99electron_blue_si)

sure it would work, people turbo rsx-s's and they have like 11:1 comp. stock. you just need to tune it properly.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right... but i mean would it be a worthwhile venture? the supercharger and the high compression should give instant low end power, so it should be better out of the hole and in autocross situations. thanks for hte input
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 PM

So are you turboing your car or going with a s/c? Anyways sure you could do it, but is it a good idea compared to going with a lower c/r? No. Since you will be on pump gas, if you want to make a decent amount of power and have it be safe your going to want lower compression like 9:1. If you just want to be different, then go for it.

If you want low end power you need to look into getting a RWD V8 car with big tires, not a honda. Hondas are all top end, so trying to get a lot of low end power or torque out of them is useless. "Instant low end power" will only hurt you out of the hole because you won't have traction. When drag racing or auto crossing your rpms will be up high anyways, so low end power won't matter.

Oh and this idea of yours is gay. Of course I am going to flame you when you specifically say not to flame lol... If your don't want to get flamed then don't post.