Notices

Supercharged Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged Del Sol

Hey guys I have a 1993 del sol si with a 1.6 liter SOHC Vtec i was wondering about how much horsepower i would get with a jackson racing supercharger with 6Lbs. of boost i don't want you to tell me to swap my engine because my insurance will drop me if i do so if you are going to tell me to swap it please don't waste your time.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (spacemanspiff)

How about a greddy or apex turbo kit? You will get better performance and also have the potential for more power down the line. With the Jackson, your potential is very limited.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (tony1)

Well the SOHC VTEC is a good motor to turbo. I'm just not a fan of superchargers. My little brother had a turbo on his SOHC Del Sol making about 250hp.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (LSDelSol)

I kinda wanted a supercharger because it is hard to find a good turbo that will be legal in california and i thought it would be better for daily driving
Old 12-29-2002, 07:08 PM

Is Greddy legal again yet?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Greddy kit in CARB legal.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be disappointed with the performance.

Recently I drove a Del Sol (D16Y8) equipped with a JRSC and it felt like a fairly anemic V6. Sure, there was a good bit more low end torque, but certainly not worth the $$$$. I have a 6G hatch "converted" to a D16Y8 (head and tranny) with a home made turbo kit that cost less than $600 using components from a 97 Eclipse GSX. There is absolutely no comparison. My car (at 7 psi) blows his off the road from anywhere in the rev band. CARB legal? Dunno, don't care. They don't do smog testing in the sticks...
Old 12-29-2002, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (fsp31)

What would i need as far as fuel and ignition if i went with a turbo
Old 12-29-2002, 08:57 PM

I believe the D16 Greddy kit comes with a fuel/timing curve management unit (FCU) and a boost dependent fuel pressure regulator.

That should cover any fuel and ignition needs for about 7psi.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (LSDelSol)

the greddy kit for the d16 doesnt come with fpr. it does come with the fcu that piggybacks offa ur ecu to take care of fuel, etc. basically u can pick up a greddy kit for 1500 and put it one with little hassle. the only things you have to decide is what kinda fittings u wanna use for your fuel return cuz i wouldn't trust the rubber hose and bolt on flanges greddy provides. to be safe just get braided ss lines and some fittings for your oil pan. also if you want it to last pick up a bov to get rid of that compressor surge. intercooler is optional and u can decide down the road if you want it or not based on how much u decide to boost.

basically, get the greddy kit and have less hassle, decent power, and boost 5 psi daily with no problems as long as you take care of the car and dont abuse it. good luck with your sohc

-alan
Old 12-29-2002, 10:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (Pengo)

If you have to stay sohc, which i don't know why you would (i went through the same phase though) stay away from JRSC and atleast get the greddy kit, although in order to stay carb certified i believe you cna't run a bov or intercooler so you would kinda be stuck at 5psi. Not trying to be a dick, but save your money for a swap, i went with the sohc greddy kit and regreted it(friend did the same with jrsc and hated it)...
Old 12-29-2002, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (jesse)

Greddy
Old 12-30-2002, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (FredoSP)

One thing w/ the SOHC greddy kit... the DSM SMIC fits nice down in the passenger side fenderwell. Hidden, but probably the perfect solution for that setup when on a budget. The IC's are usually around $100 and require no modifications to fit in the fenderwell. (I guess I should say it didn't on a '96 ex).

I cannot see how a blowoff valve would cause the CARB certification to go away if you were to vent it back into the intake pipe. Although I really don't understand the whole SMOG check thing. We run around w/ open downpipes for months at a time up here. :D
Old 12-30-2002, 04:01 AM
New User

HHMMM, I have been running my jr'ed sc mini-me (z6) without any compalints... hehehe

As far as realiabilty goes it's by the best, the only time mine has been parked, is because I chose so.... If you go back through all the previous post on this forum and others. You will see what kind of issues a turbo can cause.

Also, going with a turbo has a lot stepper/costly leaning curve. Might figure on finding another block for a spare. Espeically if you do not have anyone to help you.

By no means am I slamming them, it's just not the "pie in the sky" they are made out to be. Otherwise there would not be so many posts, on the issues they cause....

Old 12-30-2002, 01:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (88_SC_CRX_Si)

Please tell me what the fastest JRSC car has run. Then tell me the fastest turbo'd honda has run.

exactly.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:42 PM
sak
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (GraphiteAccord)

Please tell me what the fastest JRSC car has run. Then tell me the fastest turbo'd honda has run.

exactly.
He wants to stay CARB legal so it looks like he's not looking for speed, rather just some more kick out of his car. Go JRSC because you will most likely enjor the more usable power compared to the turbo IMO.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (sak)

There have been volumes written concerning turbo vs. supercharger. They both have their good points. If you want a high boost racer go turbo. If you are going to stay under 10 psi go supercharger. I have a jrsc on my ITR, and I love it. The most important thing is to MAKE SURE IT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY. Don't spend the money on the blower unless you can get everything you need to set it up right. (MAP controller, boost timing controller, maybe fuel pump upgrade)

BTW, if there is a boost upgrade pulley available for the Del Sol go ahead and get it now. You will want it in a year, and you'll save the extra installation costs.

If you have any questions on what you will need go to jacksonracing.com and email them. Jim Watts has answered several questions for me. There should also be a dyno result posted there for the Del Sol with a jrsc.
Good luck, and let us know how you project comes out.

[Modified by fredtoast, 4:39 PM 12/31/2002]
Old 01-01-2003, 04:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (GraphiteAccord)

exactly.
I really don't know... hehehe

Can you post them, also how much they are boosting too...?

I don't know what size the crankpully is on a Z6, you can use a Y8's and will give you somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12 psi. I have not put mine on yet, so I can only go by what other peeps have gotton from doing it. However water injection will be required.

[Modified by 88_SC_CRX_Si, 5:08 AM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (88_SC_CRX_Si)

I had this same setup on my car (D16Z6 in 93 del sol SI). Ran 14.6 on stock boost w/ street tires and i/h/e. I later went on to build the motor, add more boost and hit it with an 80 shot of NOS. Ran 12.1 @ 116. When I first purchased the supercharger, it was all I was going to do to the car. Halfway through all of this though, I wished I had done a swap instead.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (XXXRacing)

Guys, boost is boost... If it wouldn't be for those high temps non cooled supers produce, then it'd be a very close match. Ever wonder why the big dogs use superchargers? As in the V8s that run 5's all day... It's because not much heat builds up in 5 secs, but because our cars tend to run 10's or worse in some cases, that's more then enough time for the temps to really go up. Every car I've seen with a supercharger on it (honda wise) going down the track u can see it dust out of the hole and then about halfway or so start slowing down in acceleration. It's the heat. Look at anyone who's sprayed their JR and what their times are. Not bustin anyone out, just my .02. Oscar would make a hell of a lot of money and people happy if he'd once and for all just finish that damn intercooler he was once working on designing. But instead he'd rather make stock 6 psi kits for a PT Cruiser. That was a waste since the Turbo PT is out now. Oh, I'm sorry, am I rambeling again...
Old 01-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (JRSCCivic98)

Guys, boost is boost... If it wouldn't be for those high temps non cooled supers produce, then it'd be a very close match. Ever wonder why the big dogs use superchargers? As in the V8s that run 5's all day... It's because not much heat builds up in 5 secs, but because our cars tend to run 10's or worse in some cases, that's more then enough time for the temps to really go up. Every car I've seen with a supercharger on it (honda wise) going down the track u can see it dust out of the hole and then about halfway or so start slowing down in acceleration. It's the heat. Look at anyone who's sprayed their JR and what their times are. Not bustin anyone out, just my .02. Oscar would make a hell of a lot of money and people happy if he'd once and for all just finish that damn intercooler he was once working on designing. But instead he'd rather make stock 6 psi kits for a PT Cruiser. That was a waste since the Turbo PT is out now. Oh, I'm sorry, am I rambeling again...
Well, just about everything you said is not true. Turbochargers are better than superchargers is just about every aspect. Boost is not Boost! Prime examples of the awesome potential of turbocharging are engines from Formula One's pre-restriction turbo era. At this point of racing history before they were banned to reduce speeds, the development of the four-stroke engine was at its peak. A typical 1500cc (this was the fia displacement limit on turbocharged engines at the time) engine in qualifying trim made more than 1500hp. This power level is a confirmed fact from the contacts in the racing industry, from engineers working for a smaller, less successful F-1 team. If a backmarker team's qualifying engine made 1580hp, how much power did the all-conquering Honda engines of that era make? To put that in perspective, imagine your D15 powered Honda Civic DX making 1500hp!!

In the early 80's a guy named Gale Banks tried to develop a turbocharged Top Fuel Dragster. Even with only 20 percent nitro in the fuel (a 90% mixture was typical at the time), the engine developed so much explosive power that the drivetrains at the time could not contain the power. The team lacked the money to fully develop the concept and soon the nhra banned turbochargers from the top fuel scene before a real, well funded turbocharged team could come upon the scene. Turbocharging's power advantage has lead to turbos being banned or heavily restricted in nearly every class of traditional racing. Only FIA rally racing, and cart indy racers now allow turbos, with heavy restrictions on boost or inlet diameter. Import drag racing is one of the only classes that allows turbos to run unrestricted.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:37 AM

You make some very good points, but I think you lost track of the original question. Why don't you go ahead and tell him how much better nitro methane is than gas?
Old 01-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Supercharged Del Sol (fredtoast)

Do you see the quote in my post???? That means I was referring to that particular reply. Learn how the boards work....
Old 01-04-2003, 09:04 AM

Do you see the quote in my post???? That means I was referring to that particular reply. Learn how the boards work....
I was referring to all of the dragstrip examples in this thread, not just yours. Sorry if I offended. I'll try to express myself more clearly in the future if you promise to take it easy on your punctuation keys. In other words, learn how an ellipsis works.