Notices

SuperCharge

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperCharge

Hey i want to supercharge my civic i got a d16y8 plan on getting a b16 down the road i know turbo is cheaper but i dont care so what would i ned and i plan on buying cams plus I/H/E and estimate how much power im thinking 150 i dont wanna turbo because dont want to mess with internals like pistons also d16y8 has new crank under 1000 miles
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SuperCharge

You can get more reliable power out of the turbo than the S/C and when switching to the b16 it will only require a manifold change to keep the turbo on the b16 and a retune obviously. you can get a smaller turbo that will spool very quickly and give you s/c like powerband. a s/c robs power from the engine to spin it over while a turbo does not. 160 to the wheels on a s/c with a single am is probably over 200 in reality but the s/c is robbing the extra power. The turbo will give you the 200hp reliably and spool well and not take any power away and will do it on less boost too IMO.

You dont need to touch the internals of the d series for 200 or less hp and the turbo will be less stress on the motor in general.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you invest money in a D series specific setup when you're planning to sell it in lieu of a B series..? That doesn't make sense.

If you turbocharge it, you dont necessarily have to mess with the internals. So long as your power goals are reasonable (~220-240whp), the stock engine will work fine without internal modification.

A turbo D series can be faster AND often cheaper than a B series swap...think about it. Also, read the Forced Induction FAQ...it'll explain a lot
Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For d-series you have 2 sc options. Go buy a used Jackson racing sc (jrsc), they arent in production anymore but are easy to install. I know a guy with a jrsc on his ef and he's just been running that without a tune for over a yr. I'd recommend getting I h e and sc, then get your ecu socketed and buy a basemap from phearable.net or someone

Your other choice is fabricating a kit. You shouldn't do this unless you're a pro, but you need to do this if you plan on increasing your redline at any point. The jrsc has flow limitations and a redline for the turbine, not sure what it is.

Hope this helps a little
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The nice thing about a JRSC is you can buy a used one for about the same price you can RESELL it later. Just don't get ripped off, read up on what wears on a JRSC kit.

You can get the same EMS and injectors you'll use on the B16 later, so you won't be loosing money there. The exhaust you can keep for the turbo motor, and the intake/header you can just use cheap ebay crap for now.

For power, it won't make much, but the instant torque will make it faster than most stock NA b-swaps.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks all I'm looking for is just a lil more torque and hondas with turbos here don't win jack races cause we got no tracks so we do more of a cruise on main street and they will race only for like 1/8 mile so turbo wouldnt come in handy plus I'd be like the thrid
supercharged Honda I know of in my city

Last edited by Northern Civic; 03-13-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Civic
Ok thanks all I'm looking for is just a lil more torque and hondas with turbos here don't win jack races cause we got no tracks so we do more of a cruise on main street and they will race only for like 1/8 mile so turbo wouldnt come in handy plus I'd be like the thrid
Haha. then you don't know enough about how turbochargers work to make that kind of a statement really. But...Do you, and good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Hey i want to supercharge my civic i got a d16y8 plan on getting a b16 down the road i know turbo is cheaper but i dont care so what would i ned and i plan on buying cams plus I/H/E and estimate how much power im thinking 150 i dont wanna turbo because dont want to mess with internals like pistons also d16y8 has new crank under 1000 miles
all i read...
Hey can someone else build my motor for me because im lazy to search on this thing called the internet.

im shock the knowledgeable people here actually help these types of people
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep knew this was coming so
1. I'm not lazy I know how to search I can normally find everything but having a hard time with this
2. I live in a city with 50000 people ya pretty small when there is only about 250-500 heavily modded cars
3. No I know how turbos work just wanna be different
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Yep knew this was coming so
1. I'm not lazy I know how to search I can normally find everything but having a hard time with this
2. I live in a city with 50000 people ya pretty small when there is only about 250-500 heavily modded cars
3. No I know how turbos work just wanna be different
Then just say that and avoid all the BS that you're now going to be encountering because you decided to make some ridiculous statements that caused your foot to be inserted in your mouth in your feable effort to be either clever or a smart ***... You'll get more usable and honest feedback when you start being honest with yourself and be realistic in what you're trying to do. In the meantime, I'll be one of the nicer guys and tell you straight what options you have... then you can go and be clever elsewhere until you come up with some better questions, or contributions.

As for superchargers, you can either find

1. Used JRSC (because they are discontinued)
2. Used Vortech Superchargers (again, discontinued)
3. Get Jackson's new Kraftwerks system
4. Get another engine platform and work from there using an LHT intercooler setup.

So, get used to having to find difficult parts, hard to reach resources, and more expensive overall cost... Make sure your "being different" is going to be worth the amount of crap you're going to go through to impress all 50,000 people (who really won't care much as they go on about their daily lives).

Until then....Bye bye....
/thread.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being a owner of jackson racing products, i wouldn't recommend their junk to anyone, even that "kraftwerks" line. Its ashame that none of the more reputable companys in supercharger design make anything for honda's.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering about comptech or cte on the cte site though it's only 08-11 civics no 98 or under I don't think the 08 would work though just curious on what your opinion on those company's I plan on going 8-10 psi because I heard with 12 u have to start doing internals is that true
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you obviously have no idea how anything works, or creates power and in what rpm range it does.

Don't touch a supercharger. Ever....
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM

I was wondering about comptech or cte on the cte site though it's only 08-11 civics no 98 or under I don't think the 08 would work though just curious on what your opinion on those company's I plan on going 8-10 psi because I heard with 12 u have to start doing internals is that true
The opinion is that they can work, if you find your 98 and under USED application. The Jackson stopped worrying about the B-series market and concentrated on the K-series and I-series engine platforms. There's no opinion to state unless you have the actual components, so our opinions are moot... especially when there is a forum dedicated for Roots-style Eaton JRSC users on here.

I know I sound a bit harsh, but until you use Google to search for that JRSC forum, this thread is about over..

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o never thought about it as forum wise ok ill start there thanks for giving me somewhere to start