Notices

Super Tech viton valve steam seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tech viton valve steam seals

has anyone try this super tech viton seals ?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (1fastEK9)

just ordered some
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (lambertincorp)

^^^are they better than the stock ones, or the same

Modified by 1fastEK9 at 12:41 PM 8/4/2007
Old 08-04-2007, 11:50 AM

no idea i would hope they are as durable as oem valve seals
Old 08-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using them with my entire supertech valvetrain.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mike93eh2)

how much do they go for?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (y7turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by y7turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much do they go for? </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ like $30
Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (lambertincorp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lambertincorp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no idea i would hope they are as durable as oem valve seals </TD></TR></TABLE>

I did some research on them and they are stronger than the oem ones
Old 08-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'm gonna put a big baseball bat in everyones front spokes. I ordered these for my delsol build. I talked to the rep of the seals about the issue I'm gonna tell you about, and he assures me it'll be fine, but I'm questioning that.

I ordered the seals for my B16 head, and after finishing my portwork I went to install them. If you notice, even in the pic posted, there are no "exhaust" seals in that set. Exhaust seals have a black ring, and intakes have the white/silver. So what's the big deal about color right? Wrong though.....

The exhaust valves are a different diameter than the intakes. I've actually searched here and found threads about people getting oil leakage on the exhaust valves. I called the rep for the seals (the guy I bought them from on ebay) and he said, the viton's are "stronger" therefore two different seals aren't necessary.

The seals fit, and my valves are installed, but I have to question the one size fits all seal. The stems of the intakes versus the exhausts are certainly different, and the seals are no different. So all I'm saying is, buyer beware, if you have problems you'll be buying some OEM's and replacing them.

Just giving everyone the heads up.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you guys order them from?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (RC000E)

Has anybody ever mic'd the top of valve guides? Im curious what the difference is 1.) I dont see why there has to be a difference in the diameter of the exhaust and intake side. but thats not really the point 2.) Why would Supertech make a part one size when they know there are two different sizes?

I can only guess the spring is "stronger" so they think it will clamp hard enough not to matter.

*5 year edit: Intake and exhaust seals are the same diameter as oem seals 5.5mm. The difference is material. The exhaust side is viton vs polyacrylic for intake.

Last edited by Muckman; 11-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (Muckman)

im using them with my complete ferrea valvetrain and reving to 10000rpm with no issues
Old 08-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (dc2____R)

Why chance it, honda seals work fine?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (tony1)

i was just gonna say that...honda seals FTW
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anybody ever mic'd the top of valve guides? Im curious what the difference is 1.) I dont see why there has to be a difference in the diameter of the exhaust and intake side. but thats not really the point 2.) Why would Supertech make a part one size when they know there are two different sizes?

I can only guess the spring is "stronger" so they think it will clamp hard enough not to matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course I mic'd the valves, hell you can even look in Helm's and it'll tell you they're different. Whether their different isn't an issue...they are. The valve seals are certainly not different.

The rep said it doesn't matter though, so I went with it. If that other person stated he is using them with no issues, well that's good for all of us then.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I say go OEM Honda whenever possible. Nothing beats it.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (Mikey3000)

I ask one of my local shops ( LDL ) and Dennis say they are the same thing than oem, and the viton seals are good
Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah whats wrong with oem honda seals? i never had a problem with mine.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ask one of my local shops ( LDL ) and Dennis say they are the same thing than oem, and the viton seals are good </TD></TR></TABLE>

While I hate to disagree, they are NOT the same as OEM....they are all the same size, and OEM set is not. I'm not trying to pick at this deal, but I've taken metrology in college, as well as engineering blueprinting, I've mic'd them versus the OEM's and they are not the same. I mic'd the valve stems as well, and confirmed the intakes valve stems are different diameters than the exhausts.

So, I can't tell by your statement whether your implying he means "they're the same" in that they'll work as "good" as OEM or they are just the same as the OEM's which use two different sized and colored seals. If the latter is the case, then I'm telling you that person is incorrect.

I want the things to work as much as anyone, because I have them on my head. I thought the purpose of posting was you wanted to ask people who've had them first hand. I gave you the facts, take them as you will, just please don't imply I'm full of it.

Someone posted that they are functionally capable of sealing the stems, so I'll rest a little easier, but I assure you I've heard the opposite from some people using them. All these viton seals are the diameter of the smaller diameter valves, so you must push the larger valves through. Common sense tells you that they should all seal, but I have to question if you won't see an increase in wear on the seal which is being essentially stretched.

I think this may be the cause for some leakage I've seen when searching this site of users of these seals. This was also the basis for the reps arguement citing that the viton seals are stronger and should be able to tolerate the difference.

Modified by RC000E at 8:05 PM 8/5/2007
Old 08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

RC000E&lt;&lt; is not like that bro, I'm not trying 2 say you are fool of it, I respect what you are saying you are right they are all the same size but some how you and other people has been using them without any probems, I just ask Dennis at LDL speedshop here in Vegas the same question, he has being building engine's for over 20yrs and he told me they work the same as the stock one's, I was trying 2 get more info on them
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why chance it, honda seals work fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes bro, you're right, but I already bought some, so I'm giving them a try
Old 08-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, cool....I couldn't tell what you were getting at.

Yeah, I have them in my head, so like I said, I want them to work as much as anyone. Honestly, had I known the fact they were all the same though, I wouldn't have bought them.

I just went with them versus OEM because the viton material is more resistant to heat and wear, and you never truly know about something until you try it first hand.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes bro, you're right, but I already bought some, so I'm giving them a try</TD></TR></TABLE>

on the same note, its still not too late is it? are they installed? can you not resell them most likely? is it not worth even to just cut your losses and go buy the OEM seals just so you dont find out later they dont work so well?

i just try to stick to what is WIDELY known works fine. and the OE's are FAR beyond proven.

chances are..... they will be fine.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Super Tech viton valve steam seals (agrn93ls)

I don't know about the other guy, but I figured I'd try them for the first hand, then if they didn't work it's only about a 1-1.5hr or so job to change them in-car...so it could be worse.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:48 AM

All they are are Fel Pro. Fel Pro has been selling these Viton valve seals forever now and they aren't anything special.

Quick Reply: Super Tech viton valve steam seals