Notices

Stupid idiot blew his civic turbo please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid idiot blew his civic turbo please help

Hey... would really appreciate a quick response on this if anyone knows what the problem is

I turbo'd my civic last month and it lasted that long... i run it on the quarter mile.... no problems at all.
But the other day i blasted it a bit too hard... i was doin like 100mph in third silly me. And its not been properly tuned.
wen i got to 100 it lost power... i felt it go. Now its idling rough and almost cutting out and smoke an oil is coming out of the valve cover breather. What is the problem?!? i though it could be just the head gasket but theres no water in the oil... i thought that was what happened when the gasket went. can someone please shed some light on this... thanks in advance
Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stupid idiot blew his civic turbo please help (civic_turbo_wannabe)

you'll probably need some new pistons
Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

probably cracked a piston or ring land, rings are probably toast too, causing you to lose compression.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chimmike)

Yup, check your compression. My guess is it will lead to some bad news.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sp00led)

You said it wasn't properly tuned. Was it ever tuned at all? X2 for some new pistons.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (neoc03)

wow you deserve a blown engine
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ketchup!)

id say comp and leakage test, but napalm it and pull off the head and see.

does it idle like a wrx?
if so see above comment.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stupid idiot blew his civic turbo please help (civic_turbo_wannabe)

Why would you drive it hard without being tuned?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ketchup!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ketchup! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you deserve a blown engine </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
* B A N N E D *

100 mph in 3rd? talk about being boost happy! lol
Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been there done that, now its time to learn. You definetly broke your ringlands or melted your pistons if they were forged. Go ahead and pull the head to start the rebuild. Have fun
Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sr420Det)

Hi idiot, i too was once an idiot and did the same thing, in my case it was a melted piston do a compression check, your number will probably be horrible, i bet its cylinder #3, then pull the head off and see what ya did.

p.s. i hope this was not your daily driver
Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

Not to jack this form but how can you guys tell that he melted his piston or cracked his ringlands ? Means how can u tell just from what he described as smoke and oil from the breather filter... Not trying to sound stupid just trying to learn
Old 07-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16bri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to jack this form but how can you guys tell that he melted his piston or cracked his ringlands ? Means how can u tell just from what he described as smoke and oil from the breather filter... Not trying to sound stupid just trying to learn</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is just the most likely problem, there could be others though. The only way anyone will know for sure is once he opens it all up and takes a look see.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

With out a doubt and I understand that i'm not a total noob lol I myself did build my 450whp civic lol I just ment it more as if he in fact melted a piston or cracked a ringland why and how woul he be blowing oil and smoke out of this filter. If he cracked or melted a piston and oblviously fried his rings wouldent he be buring a lot of oil meaning a lot of blue smoke from his exhaust ?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With out a doubt and I understand that i'm not a total noob lol I myself did build my 450whp civic lol I just ment it more as if he in fact melted a piston or cracked a ringland why and how woul he be blowing oil and smoke out of this filter. If he cracked or melted a piston and oblviously fried his rings wouldent he be buring a lot of oil meaning a lot of blue smoke from his exhaust ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smoke coming out of the breather on the valve cover is because of the excessive blow by he's getting.

I don't think he meant his intake filter if that's what you're confused on.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16bri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to jack this form but how can you guys tell that he melted his piston or cracked his ringlands ? Means how can u tell just from what he described as smoke and oil from the breather filter... Not trying to sound stupid just trying to learn</TD></TR></TABLE>

i used to have my valve cover vent open, one day i asked my engine builder if i had to worry about it, he said "only if you blow up your motor" which i did and sure enough damn near 1 quart of oil shot out of there an all over my engine bay, so i am basing my ish on past experience and the fact that OP says he was not tuned and now his car runs like crap now which is probably becuase A: he has no compression B:he is running on less than 4 cylinders.

anywho, what else could it be? its not like his crank broke...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

no tuning watsoever. thats the problem.

pistons/rings. you have a pretty good blowby.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 PM

Default Re: (ralph11sec)

when will people learn? if you cant buy the proper engine management and have it tuned,dont even try boosting the car UNLESS you like to rebuild the engine once a month if that...i bet you have cracked ringlands,melted piston or both,atleast hopefully youve learned your lesson this time around,have fun rebuilding!!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Cracked Ringlands
-Cracked Sleeve
-Blown HG

The last of the options is what you should be hoping for...the others are less than fun to deal with
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

My diagnosis-
HG=coolant in/on oil-pull dipstick and see
OR
HG=oil in/on coolant-oil is lighter than coolant, collects under radiator cap check it

RINGLANDS, PISTON=smoke under/out of valve cover-compresion forces is out
through the valves and seals into head
CRACKED BLOCK=loss of compresion-start saving, your going to need it
VALVES=smoke under/out of valve cover-compresion is to much for the valves and they buckle under the weight

YOUR MOTOR=all the above-screw boost and H-it
Old 07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well thanks for all the input

It was tuned but only with a guestimated crome map... yes i was stupid for driving it so hard but i had confidence in it after driving it on the track.

I have nearly got the head off... what am i looking for when i do get it off? how will i know if the ring lands are [freak]ed?

Anyways ive ordered new pistons and rods and when there in i will be taking it straight to a proper tuners! What psi can someone recommend? ive got vitara pistons and eagle rods?

Aswell... i had uprated the head... crower cams, springs and retainers but stock valves. How will i know if ive busted the valves?

ps. I have deffinately learnt my lesson... but these things have to happen to learn
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (civic_turbo_wannabe)

Boy some people never get any smarter do they?Why would you order new pistons before taking the motor apart.That's just as stupid as running w/o a proper tune.Get the engine apart and find out the damage you did then you order parts.I almost guarantee you did damage to the cylinder walls.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_turbo_wannabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ps. I have deffinately learnt my lesson... but these things have to happen to learn</TD></TR></TABLE>No they don't happen to people who actually think before they act.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Re: (Fkned)

any updates?...just curious to see the damage done
Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotrod99)

So many untuned honda's out there when we have programs like Crome, WHICH IS FREE. I can't understand this. That's not a matter of money at all, just lazy.

Quick Reply: Stupid idiot blew his civic turbo please help