Notices

Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:04 AM
InTegRed81

Default Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering?

Hey guys, im new at this honda-tech thing and had a Q about turbo. I got a 97 gs-r and havent really done anything to it for awhile. I've been wanting to put a turbo in my teg and just wanted to know which one. I dont want to custom make it, just a bloton kit that i can rely on HINT THE WORD "RELY". Ive been reading about the XS-engineering turbo that was made for the teg and made 330hp or a 420 hp kit. Does anyone have this kit? anyways what about the greddy kit? I hread sooooooooooooo many ppl who didnt like it but i think its just bc it didnt give that much hp for them. Im not lookin for a full blown racing kit, just want to race it now and then and manly for everyday driving. I know so many ppl who got the GEN III kit and love it, but my friends blew up on him and that just changed my mind. I really like how the XS turbo kit gives 330hp on something like 9-12 psi, not sure forgot, using 540cc injectors, etc, etc SO what to get? XS, Greddy, Gen III, swift-performance, anymore? IF u can post me up that would be great thxs for the help. Oh and if i posted this in the wrong place then just tell me that i did instead of posting ****. THX OH if you have any of these kits how do u like it and not just bc u have it. Does the Gen III come wit everything or is there still things needed like the XS NEEDS ALOT AND SO DOES THE GREDDY. I dont mind some changes to make to the car( extras), BUT I NEED MY AC IN CALI!!!!!! OH is the GEN III emissons friendly? in cali. Hows the Fmax? does anyone have it?

Modified by InTegRed81 at 8:25 AM 7/16/2004

Modified by InTegRed81 at 4:27 AM 7/17/2004

Modified by InTegRed81 at 4:32 AM 7/17/2004

Modified by InTegRed81 at 7:39 PM 7/17/2004
Old 07-16-2004, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disclaimer: Some of the following information may be wrong. Some may be right. =P

First off, you're more than likely not going to have a long lasting engine if you plan on making 300+ hp and driving it daily. The Greddy kit seems to be a good reliable kit because of a few things: It's a small turbo, you retain your AC and PS, the manifold and downpipe are very restrictive(keeping power to a safe level), and its emissions legal in CA. The part that sucks is the fuel management it includes...the blue box. Ditch it and go with Hondata or something. You'll make a good bit more power with a good tuner.

There are of course kits out there that will make more power...nearly any other kit will. Drag, RevHard, MaxRev, Full-Race, etc. The difference in those kits are mainly the manifolds and accessories that they include. All of these kits include turbos(lots of T3/T4e's) larger than the Greddy 18G and will make much more peak HP.

BTW, if you haven't had a "fast" car before, you should probably start with a low amount of power first. Decide if you like boost(haha), and get some supporting mods such as LSD, better clutch, tires before upgrading to something larger.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:59 AM
InTegRed81

Default Re: (Nihilation)

thx for the help. do u have the greddy on yur ride, bc yur specs show greddy, and if so how u like it, enough power?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's in the process of being installed now. I'll let you know when its on & tuned.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The XS engineering is actually a great setup to use because of the fact that it is a COMPLETE kit w/ a GT Dual ball-bearing turbo that is made for efficiency. I first had my Greddy setup in 2000 on my GS-R, and though I made close to 300whp daily (and drove it hard for 3 years) I was still wanting more and the Greddy is not the greatest for upgradability in other hardware parts (though the turbo is great to 400hp).

The fact that you have nicely upgraded injectors, and have the possibility to upgrade to Power FC for Full tunability, makes it a great kit to start off with. I've ordered and setup up several of them in the past, and all have had awesome results. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it..
Old 07-16-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (InTegRed81)

if you piece your setup together it'll still be around the same ballpark. They use RevHard manifolds, and you can probably find those used for cheaper or you can opt with the InlinePro mani. GT BB turbos aren't that expensive. You can go with a GT28R or a GT28RS or just stick with any of the Precision SC turbos, which RevHard sends with their kits anyways. Hondata is a cheap and precise engine management solution. It requires OBD1 conversion, but so does the PFC. Research abit more make some more contacts and you can put together a cheaper and maybe even better setup than what XS offers. Since you're new use the search option and you will realize that a simple setups can be achieved with relatively little money. GOOD LUCK!

Remeber the parts you need are simple.
1 Exhaust: Manifold + Turbo + Downpipe
2. Oil Feed / Return
3. Intercooler + Tubing + BOV
4. Intank Fuel Pump + Injectors
5. Monitoring Devices
6. Engine Management
7. Clutch Upgrade. You will smoke your stock one

You're Done!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:28 PM
InTegRed81

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (mamaboy)

thx for the info. really helpful, i dont want to bet every car on the road, but sick of the %^&*ers that always blow there blowoff beside just bc i have a exhast " them damn bastrads thx for the idea!!!

Modified by InTegRed81 at 4:22 AM 7/17/2004
Old 07-17-2004, 06:39 PM
InTegRed81

bump
Old 07-18-2004, 08:16 PM
InTegRed81

back up top
Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the Full Race Stage 3 AC kit on my car and I love it. its driven daily and i put out 420 at 13psi. If you have any questions at all about it, feel free to hit me up.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (Full-Race Henry)

420 @ 13psi WOW!!! what compression is that on?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (TURBO4drTypeR)

bump because ive been curious about this kit too, and no one ever talks about it.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump........ anyone know where i can purchase the XS kit?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (slooogsr)

the moo pointer is killin me!!!!

http://www.xs-engineering.com
Old 07-20-2004, 10:39 PM
InTegRed81

bump back up
Old 07-20-2004, 11:33 PM
InTegRed81

hey i was lookin at the fullrace website thats on yur page there and was wondering what kinds of upgrades or engine mods are needed for the stage 2 or 3 or 97 gsr. i current have nothing on there, but soon change all the rods, pistons, retainers, etc. is the stage 2 better or stage 3 for the gsr?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the moo pointer is killin me!!!!

http://www.xs-engineering.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, the obvious choice but i was tryin to find a place with maybe a better price tag......... thanx
Old 07-21-2004, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (TURBO4drTypeR)

Ive gotten a bunch of questions about my setup and what i have done. So here it is, and if you have any questions at all, Please feel free to contact me:

-Full-Race Stage 3 AC kit
-Full-Race T3/T67
-LS-Vtec 81.5mm 9:1
-GSR Head
-Hondata
-72lb injectors
-3bar map sensor
-Walbro 255hp

Pics of the car:
http://www.full-race.com/images/gallery/ac_kit/

91 octane @ 13psi

Old 07-21-2004, 04:56 AM

Wow thats a big gain from opening the ecutout. Does your's run through your factory exhaust.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (FOrSfEd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow thats a big gain from opening the ecutout. Does your's run through your factory exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, it was a apexi ws 2.25" catback
Old 07-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Henry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, it was a apexi ws 2.25" catback</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was wondering why the big jump before and after........ that is sick! they would never see it comin.......
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Thanks for answering! I dont know what to say except much props to you and that is just awsome!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hondata is a cheap and precise engine management solution. It requires OBD1 conversion, but so does the PFC. Research abit more make some more contacts and you can put together a cheaper and maybe even better setup than what XS offers. Since you're new use the search option and you will realize that a simple setups can be achieved with relatively little money.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

OBD I conversion is NOT needed w/ the Power FC for its full tunability, and due to demand on the GT28RS, the price is not that low. In fact, on my particular Power FC, I've removed my jumper harness entirely and I'm using the EK9 version of the software WITH boost map sensor that comes with it.

The XS engineering kit also doesn't have clearence issues regarding the wastegate and the hood for DC2 Chasis, while Rev-Hard, while still quality, has had these issues. There are some remedies to fix this, but they do cost a little extra.

If you're worrying too much about decent cost, then yes, there are always CHEAP alternatives. But when you're a first time boost head, and not as mechanically inclined w/ a daily driver, cheap is definately NOT the way to go. Go for reliability and your power goals...
Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Henry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, it was a apexi ws 2.25" catback</TD></TR></TABLE>

So do you run 2 different maps - 1 w/ecut and 1 without?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering? (swlabhot)

Could we possibly get this thread back on topic and about xs-engineering's turbo kit and not a advertisement for full-race? Full-race is great but not what this thread is about....

Quick Reply: Street turbo for integra gs-r XS-Engineering?