Notices

Street tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street tuning?

hello i have been using the search bar and reading... and i have been reading about peoples turbo and tuning problems, but no one posts about the aftermath of it.

so i have an eg coupe with a d15b swap and i just put a T3/T4 turbo kit on it. Now I have 450cc injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump and running the chrome chipped ecu with just a base map.

now of course my car runs like crap. really rich. i understand that a basemap is just to get you by to get it tuned. now i have heard from a buddy that you can get your car "street tuned" im not quite sure what this is or if anyone still does it.

i wanted t get some opinions from you guys. im on a budget so i dont quite have the money it takes for a dyno tune right now. what you guys think about street tuning/what is it?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Street tuning?

oh okay thanks for the reply. i was going to have a local tuner shop do the street tune. i just wanted to know the effectiveness of the street tune. my car is just a daily driver.

i just wanted something that would get me up hills faster.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you figure you need a thousand dollar gauge to street tune a car? I've been street tuning cars for 6 years without. Single problem. Granted there not tuned to make maximum power and I disclose this to all my customers but you can street tune with just a wideband and knowledge of ignition timing. If you don't know anyhjng about tuning then it's a very potential danger to the engine The efi classes help out and alot of triL and error lol. But I've yet to pop an engine even when pushing them. And all this has been done on a simple 200 dollar aem wideband and conservative ignition timing to keep things safe
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dang how much does it cost to do street tuning? and do you know anyone that does it in the seattle area? or washington at all?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure about that are but if ou go into the LST thred an ask in there you should get a couple replys. Some people from your area have turbo setups tuned out there

when I street tune I charge 225 with my own wideband or 200 if they have a wideband for the first three hours and 50 for each additional hour. Usually doesn't go past 3 hours though bu every place is different
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think this will affect you but It also depends on the power you're going to run. It's hard to tune 30psi on the street due to traction issues. Some people say they'll only tune to about 300whp on the street
Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not looking to go that high in hp. another question i have is. if I found someone who is running the same turbo set and and his is tuned, could i just copy his map chip and run it in my car?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a start and will prop run better than you are right now but every car is different. Chances are you'll still need a tune
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by l0nest4rr
im not looking to go that high in hp. another question i have is. if I found someone who is running the same turbo set and and his is tuned, could i just copy his map chip and run it in my car?
Even tho you have the same setup, every engine runs differently and has different fuel and timing needs. You would need to get your car tuned in order for it to run to its full potential. There is nothing wrong with street tuning. It is not as intricate as dyno tuning but it will definitely get the job done. I went 11.5 with a street tune and my car ran great for over a year until I got rid of it.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. well im having a dang problem now. having a hard time finding anyone in the seattle area to street tune. everyone want to dyno tune only so they can charge an arm and a leg to get your car tuned.

im not trying to be cheap but i would rather just pay for a street tune cause that would be enough for me to be happy.

and i do understand that every car runs different but a while ago a guy i know just copied a tuned map on his setup and his car ran fantastic. only thing is now for me is to find someone with a tuned chip and find someone to copy it, because not anyone wants to copy because they are losing out on money they could of charged someone to dyno tune thier car.... any help any one? i would pay for shipping and all for a copy of a chip... but then you have to run the risk of getting robbed....
Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean run the risk of getting robbed
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like if someone from outta state was like "yeah i"ll compy my tuned chip and sell ya a copy" then sends me a blank chip....
Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats why you find a reputable shop who has a reputable tuner on hand.. Just because your town doesnt have one, you will have to drive and stay out of boost to where ever the place is.
Dont try to cheap out on this important step as it will decide your engines future.

If you search this forum, theres a thread for tuners in every state.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ yeah thats why im trying to just get a street tune. because for what im trying to run i hear its a respectable way to go if your just building a daily driver and dont wanna pay a ton for dyno tune.

i mean i know that dyno tune is like the way to go if you plan on running you car a ton on the track but i have no intentions to run my car on the track, as i am not interested in quarter mile times.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is street tuned and I did a couple dyno pulls on a mustang dyno to see what i was making....IMO 254whp on a mustang dyno isn't bad at all. especially since it's street tuned which like stated is safe and not pushing the engine to its limit like a dyno tune would........my tuner does excellent work which is why he is the only tuner in my area that I will allow to tune my car.....I've seen many other cars in my area that are in fact dyno tuned and not impressive to me at all. For example most of the cars around may make more power than mine, but driveability in their cars suck....they won't idle at all and being that most cars around here are tuned on Dynojets which from what I'm told are not necessarily tuning dynos cause they don't put enough load on the engine to adjust ignition timing correctly.

bottom line is I like street tuning cause how it's tuned on the street is how it's going to drive on the street, plus having a reputable tuner my car runs excellent except for the little burp you can feel if you are in between maps but it's more driveable than most cars in my area and with 1000cc injectors without an injector driver my car idles exactly like stock at about 750-800rpms and very little fluctuation which is due to fluctuating timing
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ nice. thank you for some positive reenforcement
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ghostriderinnc
I was wanting to do my own street tuning as well I asked the guy at church automotive in california he told me if I wanted a street tune that was as good as a dyno tune the gauge would cost me about a thousand dollars to do it right. If you guys are doing accurate street tunes I'm all for it. I hate trusting someone I don't know with my car. I had a tune recently by a really respected tuner. I checked my plugs and the cars running lean as hell. Could someone list exactly what parts you need to do your own street tuning.
Wideband and what else do you need. I assume a good AF meter any suggested brands come to mind whats the easiest program to street tune with hondata chrome neptune ect. This would make a awesome DIY sticky if someone would be kind enough to go into depth on street tuning cars.
The wideband is the AFR meter.

Im also in Socal and have been street tuning for 6 years now. And turbos are my specialty.

Give me a call if you need a accurate street tune. 951-263-8834
Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And if cross reference AFR's with an EGT gauge your probably even better off. Plus like people say you get an accurate feel for heat levels as well as the extra load from air resistance.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostriderinnc
I was wanting to do my own street tuning as well I asked the guy at church automotive in california he told me if I wanted a street tune that was as good as a dyno tune the gauge would cost me about a thousand dollars to do it right. If you guys are doing accurate street tunes I'm all for it. I hate trusting someone I don't know with my car. I had a tune recently by a really respected tuner. I checked my plugs and the cars running lean as hell. Could someone list exactly what parts you need to do your own street tuning.
Wideband and what else do you need. I assume a good AF meter any suggested brands come to mind whats the easiest program to street tune with hondata chrome neptune ect. This would make a awesome DIY sticky if someone would be kind enough to go into depth on street tuning cars.
lol thousand dollar gauge, the dude just didn't want to lose a customer. my tuner does my car with a wideband that has some kind of digital readout controller and his own personal built tuning ecu hooked up to chrome gold, it's really awesome watching him make adjustments while sitting behind the wheel
Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i wish you guys that could street tune were closer to where I lived
Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

read up on the process of street tuning a car, its actually not that hard to street tune A/F.

I taught my friend how to do it as I watched him, some programs are much easier than others
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where would i get started? prices and such...
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS3 mods ehh.. hmm.. PM me the mods u do please.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, it would appear there are a bunch of misinformed people here.

Lets start with the 1000 dollar gauge. There is a guage that costs $1000 that is in fact better than dyno tuning. That guy was not as full of **** as you think. The software to record the gauge output is $4500.

Now lets cover the car that's running lean after a reputable tune or whatever. You checked your plugs, but do you know know what you are looking at? Are you on pump gas? Do you realize to get the most accurate reading on plug AFR you have to rip on it and kill it immediately? Otherwise, you have to look deep. The porcelain area around the electrode will be your low load reading if you let it idle. A lean idle is ok, so don't trip. Get a wide band in the car before you start spending more money.

Turbo LS, I'm sure you are doing a fine job of keeping them together. You just have to be careful, if you fly blind on the street, you can over fuel and have the timing to deedadee and do turbo damage from high EGT's.

I have lost about a year of my life on the dyno. With street tuning, I can assure you if the timing curve is on point you got lucky. If it is in the right range, you are good at reading plugs.

There in no such thing as a conservative tune... It's either right or its not.

For the comment of driveability on the street after dyno tuning, that depends on the shitbox you call a dyno, and the time and knowledge of the tuner running the shitbox on the shitbox. Sorry, I have seen way too many honda problems. Also used "the best dyno" (dyno dynamics), which was also JUNK. You should always check the Car on the street after the tune. That is the fun part, RIGHT?

For anybody wanting to learn how to tune, you must know how the motor works first. The rest is just trial and error. If you ask Someone that is too smart to show you something you might get an answer you don't understand. Thanks Dave Blundell! I still don't understand the equation you told me 2 years ago, but its ok!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by l0nest4rr
nice. well im having a dang problem now. having a hard time finding anyone in the seattle area to street tune. everyone want to dyno tune only so they can charge an arm and a leg to get your car tuned.

im not trying to be cheap but i would rather just pay for a street tune cause that would be enough for me to be happy.
were you dropped on your head as a child?

Quick Reply: Street tuning?