Notices

Stock vs Forged internals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs Forged internals?

I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine, its taking forever since I have to work and do it on my time off but I'm finally half way there.

I got everything out now I'm a little stuck. do you think a boosted B16A at around 250hp will be oke as a daily driver on a re-sleeved (with stock sleeve) block? or would it be too much I've read a lot of people running a lot higher on stock and that's it depends on how good the tune is but, as its my daily I'm not sure to go forged or stock pistons.

For Forged pistons and rods would CP Pistons Eagle Rods be good? and they says it fits all the B16 series engine except B16B but it says 99-00 B16 now im pretty sure mine is older a lot older, would these still fit?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:11 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: Stock vs Forged internals?

Stock at 250 is fine.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would there be a problem if I put rods with the length of 134.3 instead of 134.0? would this cause the piston to hit the valves?
Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always believed they were the same rod but were too lazy to say .3. Anyhow, .3mm is only like .012" and there is at least .020 in an undecked block so no piston to head contact there. Your motor builder is really the guy to ask, might get misleading info like mine.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a set of 81.5 srp forged pistons for sale cheap
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

why re-sleeve with stock sleeves?

If the current sleeves aren't damaged then doing this serves no purpose... If they are damaged and cannot be fixed with an overbore then your best financial move would be to buy another stock bare b16 block
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your power goals, there is no need to even install ARP head studs...that block (provided its in good shape) will easily handle250whp in stock form
Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could do nippon cast pistons. You can order them machined for use on stock or after market rods. They are similar to stock pistons but have thicker ring lands. To me its a good in between choice stronger then oem but less expensive then forged.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

^^ Interesting, but too much work for something the stock engine can do with no additional benefits. I never understood switching out one cast piston for another in a turbocharger application.. what, for "lowering compression?".. Unnecessary.

Stay stock, tune well, drive on.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think is how I look at it.

Every honda piston is made with the same cast material, correct? There is a thread out there called "highest horsepower on a stock block" There are ls/vtec setups, gsr, and b16 setups pushing 600+whp, all with cast pistons. Call me ignorant, but if these setups can handle this kind of power (who knows how long, and every setup is different), why can't mine? I personally, will not push over 500whp with my coated NPR pistons (made with a different cast which absorbs heat better than honda's cast)

But in the end, if he is only pushing 250whp, keep it stock... the block can handle 300whp+ easy, if anything, do arp rod bolts and arp head studs.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
Think is how I look at it.

Every honda piston is made with the same cast material, correct? There is a thread out there called "highest horsepower on a stock block" There are ls/vtec setups, gsr, and b16 setups pushing 600+whp, all with cast pistons. Call me ignorant, but if these setups can handle this kind of power (who knows how long, and every setup is different), why can't mine? I personally, will not push over 500whp with my coated NPR pistons (made with a different cast which absorbs heat better than honda's cast)
But see, you answered this question yourself immediately.(highlighted). You aren't them.. and they aren't you.. so why take the risk? What... just to prove something to someone else you don't know? I don't know how often you plan to tear this engine apart to save a "couple of bucks", but it makes no sense to tear it apart just to put in another set of cast (regardless of type/company or whatever your definition of "heat absorption is..*shrug* ) if the plan is to make better power at a later time. You do it once, and correctly with a planned setup, you'll never have to ask that kind of a question again.

As for using Headstuds and rod bolts for this power level... again.. completely unnecessary as long as the engine is in good mechanical health, and hasn't been separated. Save that money for better tune and continued mechanical health.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
But see, you answered this question yourself immediately.(highlighted). You aren't them.. and they aren't you.. so why take the risk? What... just to prove something to someone else you don't know? I don't know how often you plan to tear this engine apart to save a "couple of bucks", but it makes no sense to tear it apart just to put in another set of cast (regardless of type/company or whatever your definition of "heat absorption is..*shrug* ) if the plan is to make better power at a later time. You do it once, and correctly with a planned setup, you'll never have to ask that kind of a question again.

As for using Headstuds and rod bolts for this power level... again.. completely unnecessary as long as the engine is in good mechanical health, and hasn't been separated. Save that money for better tune and continued mechanical health.
Best response in whole thread. Thread over.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple thousand bucks
Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^what the **** are you even talking about?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
^^ Interesting, but too much work for something the stock engine can do with no additional benefits. I never understood switching out one cast piston for another in a turbocharger application.. what, for "lowering compression?".. Unnecessary.

Stay stock, tune well, drive on.
ah i guess its like the vitara phenomenon, offers a more than stock but VERY budget minded.

ive often thought about giving those nippons a try on stock ls rods/arp replacement studs. while it may not really allow me to run more power, it might be more forgiving at the same power level...just throwing ideas out there
Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by blackeg
ah i guess its like the vitara phenomenon, offers a more than stock but VERY budget minded.

ive often thought about giving those nippons a try on stock ls rods/arp replacement studs. while it may not really allow me to run more power, it might be more forgiving at the same power level...just throwing ideas out there
The Vitara solution, well, it was what it was, and its going away, now that the notion of lower compression being "better" is out of the window.

I guess I don't understand How it can be "more forgiving", especially for the effort brought to tearing it down..

Seriously. I don't understand...