Notices

Stock GSR + turbo - How much boost is safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock GSR + turbo - How much boost is safe?

Here is my setup:
Stock b18c1
GT3255e turbo
short-ram style manifold from spoolinperformance
walbro fuel pump
precision 650 injectors
tial 38mm wastegate
turboxs manual boost controller
3" exhaust with high flow cat, resonator, and muffler

I went to get it tuned yesterday at a reputable tuner (I will leave unnamed for now). He said 12psi was safe and continued to do runs anywhere from 330hp-348hp. I, was pretty skeptical, but figured he knew what he was doing. By the end of the tune there was a slight knocking. He pulled out the spark plugs. Oil in one of the cylinders. Compression test--that same cylinder was off. So now my car is down for a while, but fortunately he is fixing the problem.

So my question for you guys is, was my skepticism accurate? is 12psi too much?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock GSR + turbo - How much boost is safe?

Its not boost, its power. Your engine is nothing but 1 big heater. To much heat (power) and your weakest point will fail.

This is all i can tell you. Friend had a bone stock GSR turbo, 8psi made 328whp, 6.5psi made 313whp. Left it on 6.5psi and it was blown within a month or so.

Another friend, also a bone stock motor GSR turbo, both B18c cars. Greddy kit, 242whp on 10psi. Been running for months, daily drives it. This car was done on a different dyno tho, give or take, 270-280whp on the dyno above. Still not close to the power of the first car.

If what your saying was accurate, 6.5psi would be to much. Alot of factors play in to this. Motor freshness, the tune, maintenance, etc.

If your car were mine, id just do this. Id tell him to start at 8psi. If he didnt, id go somewhere else. Id start at 8. If it made at least 250whp id leave it. Id run it like that for a couple months, then turn it up from there if i felt comfortable. But id probably just leave it. Your car makes maybe 120-130whp stock. At 250whp your doubling the cars whp. Thats alot of power for that motor. Hell a stock evo with a completely forged bottom end make around 240-250whp. And most people dont push them over about 500whp on a stock bottom end. Ive got a bunch of friends that have made more (1 made 554whp, the other 540whp, another 484whp) The only 1 that is still running on the stock motor is the one that makes 484whp.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I just talked to him and he said there was no detonation and the pistons are fine. It is the rings that are messed up...He said because of that, he isn't sure if they will be covering it. He has to talk to the owner tomorrow..
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eh, I'd guarantee you didn't fry or break rings in just one cylinder. If that cylinder has low compression, almost guaranteed cracked piston.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ x2

Of course they wouldnt want to spend the money to fix it.... was in a smiliar situation myself its one of the risks of the hobby
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Eh, I'd guarantee you didn't fry or break rings in just one cylinder. If that cylinder has low compression, almost guaranteed cracked piston.
Well, he said he opened it all up and everything was fine but the rings..I know nothing about engine internals, so I don't know. He's supposed to send me pictures.
Originally Posted by azandford
^ x2

Of course they wouldnt want to spend the money to fix it.... was in a smiliar situation myself its one of the risks of the hobby
This is not something that just happened by chance, right? This was a flaw in the tuning? 350hp and 12psi just seems like WAY too much to me for stock internals. Am I wrong?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should have done NOS.... you can turn it off when your not using it, therefore better on the motor.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on how you drive and take care of your car. heat is the biggest issue..... stock sleeves are rated to around 300whp, but I know guys running 380 using just arp head studs. I have a fully built gsr with endyn block posts and stock sleeves making 420whp and 300tq.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by erkle
I think you should have done NOS.... you can turn it off when your not using it, therefore better on the motor.

^ lol easy vin
Old 04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i ran 25psi made 498/322
Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it all depends on each specific engine and tune. i made 378 on 16psi stock gsr with no issues. if i would have raped the engine before turboing it by running nitrous or just beating on the car with low oil would make a difference. just because it is running "good" now doesnt mean that its not waiting to take a **** on you soon
Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Yeah...its tough to just mess up 1 set of rings. Usually above 10psi, stock honda rings don't hold up for a long period of time. If you're going the poor man's method, get some good rings, arp rod bolts & head studs, and a good head gasket if you plan to stay mostly stock. 1.58 R/S ratio still isn't the greatest for turbo.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

300 hp is where your safe at with a stock block
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quit beating around the bush, it sounds like your tuner blew your car up, fix it and take it somewhere else.

Originally Posted by erkle
you couldnt be more wrong.

PS I made 428whp on my stock block b16 and have no problems and over 100 track passes.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran my b18c5 bone stock bottom end for about a month on 1 bar and it was fine. The turbo blew a seal so I decided to tear down and rods pistons but for that month it was solid.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turbociv910
Quit beating around the bush, it sounds like your tuner blew your car up, fix it and take it somewhere else.

you couldnt be more wrong.

PS I made 428whp on my stock block b16 and have no problems and over 100 track passes.
I agree that the tuner ruined the car. But this post is really old. I think a trial user bumped it. NOS creates heat just like a turbo, thus does the same sort of damage. It only takes a second of overheating to cause damage.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I don't the tuner did anything wrong for say. What was the compression before the tune? Was there a leak down done? How many miles?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I don't the tuner did anything wrong for say. What was the compression before the tune? Was there a leak down done? How many miles?
I can't say it was his fault, but it happened on his time. It is part of the game though. Motors do fail while being tuned. Even built motors.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock Gsr I'd puss out around 350whp same for lsvtec. The 1.6 250-300whp max safe. I use studs and gasket to keep peace of mind. Not oem gasket a cometic and crush the gasket. No issues ever with head gasket

Old post but it's what ever you want I've seen bone stock ls making 430whp for a week lol
Old 10-16-2013, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Its all in the tune IMO. If you have a perfectly healthy engine, you go and boost it and it blows on the dyno or tuning, 90% of the time you or the tuner did something wrong. These motors in factory spec have proven day after day they can take a beating when set up properly.

I ran 19-22 psi daily in my self tuned LS motor on a GT28 for about 2-3 years. I made sure to keep the timing low and the AFR's rich-er. Car made around 300/300.

There is no PSI limit, as was said. The more power, the more stress. The rule of thumb around here is roughly 300-350 tops on stock B series motors before you are starting to skate on thin ice with the physical strength of components.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Its all in the tune IMO. If you have a perfectly healthy engine, you go and boost it and it blows on the dyno or tuning, 90% of the time you or the tuner did something wrong. These motors in factory spec have proven day after day they can take a beating when set up properly.

I ran 19-22 psi daily in my self tuned LS motor on a GT28 for about 2-3 years. I made sure to keep the timing low and the AFR's rich-er. Car made around 300/300.

There is no PSI limit, as was said. The more power, the more stress. The rule of thumb around here is roughly 300-350 tops on stock B series motors before you are starting to skate on thin ice with the physical strength of components.
Yup. It's all in the timing too. Timing has a lot to do with the amount of stress on the rods. The crank is spun by the rods and then transfers that torque to the transmission. Too much power can bend the rods.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen 600 whp on a STOCK B16..held for about 3 pulls on the dyno then had low "ish" compression on one cyl...drove for about 2 months before it got worse and was torn down

dont recommend it though lol
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think the owner needs to know anymore. a noob bumped a old post.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
I don't think the owner needs to know anymore. a noob bumped a old post.
Yes, but this topic comes up far too often.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let the old crusty thread die already lol

Quick Reply: Stock GSR + turbo - How much boost is safe?