Notices

stock fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stock fuel pump

i have a del sol with a d15 and a t25 turbo on it

do i need a walbro 255? i will be using dsm 450cc injectors.

i hear alot of people recommend the walbro, but according to the following article my stock pump can support up to 300 Hp which is more then enough for my engine.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/f...ems/index.html
Old 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: stock fuel pump

it can support the horsepower range...i'm running a turbo on my em1 and have no problems with my stock fuel pump
Old 07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyracer
it can support the horsepower range...i'm running a turbo on my em1 and have no problems with my stock fuel pump
thanx some ppl sold me on my walbro 255 but maybe i will just sell it now......seems as thogh my stock pump is fine. with my build im probally below 200 HP
Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock should be perfectly fine no need for a 255 yet
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1FASNIGA
stock should be perfectly fine no need for a 255 yet

sorry but the stock fuel pump is around 220 whp maximum any over you will start to lean out even only with dsm injectors they will not even be at a full duty cycle before the oem pump becomes non supportive.

any reputable would not touch any car over 220 whp with the oem pump.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm funny cause my car is running on 550cc injectors with a stock pump and making 320 hp with the a/f running perfect...there was still power to be made but didn't want to push my stock motor to much...
Old 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rickyracer
hmmm funny cause my car is running on 550cc injectors with a stock pump and making 320 hp with the a/f running perfect...there was still power to be made but didn't want to push my stock motor to much...
lets see the dyno sheet. what type of dyno?

really dumb thing to cheap out on.

there are a lot of threads on this allready it been put to test several times the oem pump can not properly support the demand. again if you having your car tuned and they say its good to go i would be a little more conscious of my base map.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are only like a hundred dollars, I would get one for reassurance.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's not about being cheap..but if something works fine..why play with it....

and here is the dyno sheet...car has been running for 3 weeks with no problems....

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol at this thread..... the op and his buddy got together to prove everyone a point....yay for stock fuel pumps!!!

Look dumb ***...if you want to run a stock fuel pump on FI setup go the heck ahead. Who cares what you have done? Plus in the other thread you even said you friend couldnt even take it all the way out on the tach because of the inconsistent a/f ratios .

Then you got together to gang up on everyone who said get a walbro... you know what *** hole get a f-ing walbro and shut up! There a hundred bucks and if your too lazy or to poor to do it then you should sell you car and jump off a cliff

and ricky racer you said you put down 320 that dyno sheet definitely says 280... google image search for the win
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one is trying to prove any points...there just alot of talk of whats need to be changed and what doesn't...most people go out and buy **** that they don't really need..cause it's sopose to be better...and thats not always the case...everyone says but this and buy that.when you really don't have to....
Old 07-23-2010, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FI isnt something to mess around with. Just because its working for this guy who has only had his car running for 3 weeks, claims 320whp but the graph shows 280 doesnt necessarily means its the right thing to do. Why dont you call up tuning shops and see what they recommend before listening to 1 person out of XXX that recommended using your stock fuel pump vs the majority saying just upgrade it.

Ive said it before, if you cant drop coin for a ****ing fuel pump then why be in the business?

Put the ****ing thing in and you wont ever have to worry about a fuel issue. if you want to drive your car around with the thought in the back of your mind that you may have a chance of leaning out and grenading your motor by all means go ahead.

Ill be here laughing when the thread comes up "blew my motor up, what caused it?"

Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that graph was on 9 pounds...car is on 12 now....and this is not the first Honda Ive had...i have ran multiple setup with stock pump and never has an issue...just cause there is something on the market doesn't mean it's better for you...op is not trying to make a 1000hp setup..next everyone is gonna say you need to upgrade your fpr and your fuel rail cause not good enough..or you need a aem ecu cause it says it's better..
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont really care how many hondas youve owned, we could go back and forth swinging dicks to see who's is bigger, but the bottom line is, a walbro is only 80 dollars, and added insurance. If youre too cheap to do that, then perhaps this hobby isnt the right one for you. Motors arent forgiving when they dont get fuel.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes a pump is cheap but added insurance its not....a walbro pump can go bad just like any other pump...but that's not the topic...op asked if a stock pump can handle around 200 hp and the answer is yet....i'm pretty sure honda knows what they are doing if the give you a type r or a gsr with the almost the same hp that op is trying to make...on a stock pump...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i mustve missed the post in the original about him asking about if its safe for 200hp. Id say for 200 itll be ok, id be on the edge about it though thats just me.

However, youll always get the boost bug and want to turn it up.

better to throw it in now instead of later. Think about it, youre using a 10+yr old fuel pump.

upgrade now and put a new pump in, boom, 2 birds, 1 stone.

Sure, youre using a stock fuel pump at 300hp. does it work? yes. is it reliable as using a walbro. Definitely not
Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its definitely added insurance....your fuel pump was made to handle up to about 200ish..not 300

when you use something thats made to handle 300 that would be added insurance because thats kind of power is within its normal operating... when you taike a fuel pump thats not made for high HP applications and use it in a high HP app. your definitely playing with fire because that pump is straining to keep up with the demand verus a walbro which can go up to about 500ish

this is just like debating whther you can throw a bunch of power at a stock bottom end versus building.... that engines are made to do what the were designed to do and when you turbo it your ususally more than doubling or tripling its stock HP levels and if you dont think thats strains the engine then your dumb... people build bottom ends for insurance and reliability not because its the cool thing to do and they love to spend money... the same with the fuel pump

if you want to argue that you've done it before... great but its a dumb thing to do when its so cheap pick two... cheap, fast. and reliable cant have all three
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree very much.but..if he was trying to make more hp then what he wanted...i'd say go for the new pump...but for a 200 hp setup i don't think it's necessary but thats just my opinion..
Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

op already has the pump in his possession if i read correctly, just put it in. nothing wrong with overbuilding for your goals.