Notices

State Inspection (South East Pennsylvania)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State Inspection (South East Pennsylvania)

I have a fully build engin in PA and am having emissions trouble with my cam. I'm sure you guys have these same woes...

Anyone know a friendly inspection station in south east PA...Philly area?

Thanks,
Vince
Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo u go to drexel?
saw your for sale thread
my friend hooked me up with his friend's dad's shop

are u getting cels?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

yeah i go to drexel! how'd you know

No CEL's the car runs flawlessly, i'm tuned with an apexi power FC and air/fuel is dead on...i just have the crower stage 3 race cam, overlap galore.

Thanks for the reply man, please PM me any info you can on the shop if possible.

AIM - agt513
email - vmk23@drexel.edu

Thanks!

Vince
Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (AgentJam)

anybody? Just an N/A d16 crx with a wild cam. Will def pass inspection just don't think emissions will. All new suspension/rack/joints/bushings...i'm not asking for a miracle here!

Perfect tune, no cel's just a large overlap cam.

Vince
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know if your car is pre 1996 it is just a visual inspection. If your car is newer then 1996 then they plug the computer into your obd2 port to scan for codes. They do not do tail pipe sniffs in PA. So if all that sounds good you should have no problem passing
Old 02-22-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know if your car is pre 1996 it is just a visual inspection. If your car is newer then 1996 then they plug the computer into your obd2 port to scan for codes. They do not do tail pipe sniffs in PA. So if all that sounds good you should have no problem passing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe for you...I'm in Deleware County

"Vehicles registered in the 42 counties listed on the right are NOT required to pass an emissions inspection."

Counties:
Adams, Armstrong, Bedford, Bradford, Butler, Cameron, Carbon, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Columbia, Crawford, Elk, Fayette, Forest, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Juniata, Lawrence, McKean, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Wayne, Wyoming

From http://www.drivecleanpa.state....n.htm

Before I built and swapped this motor i passed with a stock y8 engine the year before so i know it's required.

Thanks for the consideration though!

Vince
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AgentJam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe for you...I'm in Deleware County

"Vehicles registered in the 42 counties listed on the right are NOT required to pass an emissions inspection."

Counties:
Adams, Armstrong, Bedford, Bradford, Butler, Cameron, Carbon, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Columbia, Crawford, Elk, Fayette, Forest, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Juniata, Lawrence, McKean, Mifflin, Monroe, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Snyder, Somerset, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga, Union, Venango, Warren, Wayne, Wyoming

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not in any of those counties listed. Last year when I got my car emmsioned they did a visual check b/c I am pre 1996. I am pretty sure PA does not do tail pipe sniffs anymore. What year is your car?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am not in any of those counties listed. Last year when I got my car emmsioned they did a visual check b/c I am pre 1996. I am pretty sure PA does not do tail pipe sniffs anymore. What year is your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

88 crx dx...it was emissions tested last year, in addition my 94 camaro was emissions tested every year prior to selling it.

I'll call around and see what the rules are but if you navigate that "drivecleanpa" site you can input your location/vehicle year/model/etc. and it'll tell you what testing you are subject to.

Just for kicks try it out for your vehicle which you said hasn't been sniff'd, maybe just a shop that doesn't care? I'd love to get away with not having to pass emissions...other than that the car is in better shape than it was the day it sold in 1987.

Vince

Vince
Old 02-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked out the site and put in my car and where I live. It said only visual and gas cap check. I put in the same info just changed it to your county and it said dynomoniter(sp) so what did I learn from this. I am glad I don't live in your county.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i checked out the site and put in my car and where I live. It said only visual and gas cap check. I put in the same info just changed it to your county and it said dynomoniter(sp) so what did I learn from this. I am glad I don't live in your county. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha well good for you! Doesn't help me much hehe.

Anybody know any shop owners? anyplace that will be a little flexible?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for you... also subscribing b/c i'm a SE PA guy
Old 02-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (blackcivic44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for you... also subscribing b/c i'm a SE PA guy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dude!

Yeah I'm just hoping someone will post for a friends or friends dad's shop that can help me. Not like it's an unsafe rust bucket with a broken ring here. Just an unspared horsepower tune that prob wont pass PA's emissions #'s for Honda's.

Vince
Old 02-23-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: State Inspection (AgentJam)

up
Old 02-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: State Inspection (AgentJam)

Couldn't you use the power fc to make an "inspection" tune. I have seen turbo'd cars with no cat pass the sniff, so with a good tune you should be able to pass.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: State Inspection (johnmay19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnmay19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Couldn't you use the power fc to make an "inspection" tune. I have seen turbo'd cars with no cat pass the sniff, so with a good tune you should be able to pass.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that is true...but with 12.25:1 compression and a race cam I don't know what I can do.

I'm guessing my NOx levels will be high? Maybe I should retard timing some.

I just dont want to make a try because then i'm in the state's system as failing which may give me even more problems, getting around it and such.

Thanks,
Vince
Old 02-23-2005, 07:17 AM

Every time I see one of these threads, I thank god that I live in Iowa. . . . where there isn't **** to do - but I can run an open down-pipe on a shitty tune running race gas and a high lift cam, leaking oil everywhere, blowing a thick cloud of leaded smoke, and not have any problems.

Yay for the only good thing about this **** hole I live in.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (DragSource)

lol for you but i still need help!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you drive the car over 5k miles a year? There are exemptions.
I know i will get chewed out for this, but im gonna start pulling my odometer somehow so it doesnt register the miles. Fuggit. lol
Old 02-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (itr206)

yeah too late for that with me...should have thought ahead!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:09 PM

do you have an emissions sticker that you need to get?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: (wompwomp61)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wompwomp61 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an emissions sticker that you need to get? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, yearly inspection/emissions.

Vince
Old 03-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Bump...I'm from Philly and need to get my 96 civic emissions inspected but I still have a CEL
Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hatebreed215)

try and slip the guy running the dyno some money. I did and he ran a chevy cavalier and said it was mine. Anyone can be bought for the right price
Old 03-02-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: (TurboTagTeam)

I know a guy in Philly that can get you passed. I was gonna go out there last August when my car wouldn't pass but he said it would cost $150 at that shop. I found another place that was cheaper but is in the non sniffer test area.

Quick Reply: State Inspection (South East Pennsylvania)