Notices

Standalone tuning question

Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone tuning question

I am eventually going to tune a standalone.. most likely I will go with the AEM EMS, but first i want to learn as much as possible about how to tune a standalone.

My first question is with ignition maps.. finding a base map from someone with a similar setup is a good idea. But how do you find tune it? and when? Do you completely tune your fuel maps and advance your timing maps until you start to have detonation? then back it off a bit?

Second off.. when tuning a fuel map, do you tune it without boost and get a good NA tune on it.. and then have it add fuel per psi? because you could be 50% throttle at 4k rpms one time with no boost and have 5 psi of boost another with the same throttle and rpms..

any comments or places I can check out to read about this would help greatly! Just looking to learn more about standalone tuning. Thanks
Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (spike)

anyone? just looking for a reference to where to learn about tuning with a standalone!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:16 AM
New User

try reading the AEM EMS forums.

Also check out the Hondata website in their tuning section.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (echo999)

Get a wideband O2 if your gonna do this yourself.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (Mikeyslude)

i plan on it.. just rather not blow my motor up right away.. if i learn about it first maybe i'll have a clue in which order to do things
Old 01-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm having a hard time learning how to tune also....I'm trying to learn how to tune Hondata but I just can't find any "How To" threads or books or anything
Old 01-23-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (symba)

yeah.. all standalone tuning is very similar.. i just need some basics on how to tell if your timing is setup right.. and if you have room to advance it.. stuff like that.. and which to tune first.. ignition or fuel.. i'm guessing ignition.. but not sure.. let me know if you find anything.. thanks.. i just found that you can download the AEM EMS software from thier site.. http://www.aempower.com and it has manauls in it.. i'm gonna read over them.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Start with the base maps for ignition on hondata's website in the <U>tuning for boost</U> section, (this of course depends on your application) there are also some very good base maps in the aem forums. You want to start with A/F ratios first and then move to timing. Timing is best accomplished on a dyno. A lot of it is just derived from experience. The best way to learn is to do it!

The general concept to ignition values is you advance until you stop making more torque. Then you can back off a notch to be a little conservative.

I love the AEM, it has really made me educate myself on all the principles of tuning.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (Speedworks801)

ahh.. now that's the kind of post I was looking for! So work on Fuel first.. and get a good fuel map on the car.. then work on timing until torque starts falling off.. excellent man.. thanks.. one quick other question maybe you can help with.. do you tune first with no boost? then add boost and fuel together? because like i said before at 70% throttle and 4rpms you don't always have the same boost level.. thanks!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:25 AM

read the hondata site, they tell you that doing it off boost first is best
Old 01-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This should help you understand how you can tune for different boost pressures at the same rpm. The fuel and timing maps are base on load v. rpm. In our case we use manifold pressure as load. Here is a screen shot of a fuel map from the 440cc turbo base map from aem.

The values in the cells represent some function of injector open time. Different standalones use different scales for the numbers in the cells. In the aem software i believe the max number for a cell is 255.

The timing maps are set up on the same load v. rpm basis except the cells have timing values in them.

I believe the order of tuning that the guys on the aem forum use is:
start with a conservative map all around and then work on getting the fuel dialed in. Once the fuel is reasonable work on the timing and because timing can change burn rate, go back and do fuel to make sure it is still safe.

I think you're best bet would be to download a version of the software for the system you are considering and become familiar with it. It would be much easier for someone to answer specific questions that you have. The aem bulletin board is also very helpful, although some questions maybe aem specific, most of the theory will carry over to other systems.

EDIT: eh, the pic didn't come out very big. anyway the left side is boost or load and along the bottom are the rpm points. and then each cell has a fueling value. get the idea?

[Modified by racerxadam, 2:32 PM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Standalone tuning question (racerxadam)

totally get the idea.. that's there the 3 axis come into play..
Load (Boost) and RPMS and Fuel

didn't understand that until now.. thanks for clearing that up man! I've checked out the hondata software before.. with that you can add fuel per psi of boost.. but i don't see a point if there is an axis for boost alone. Isn't that almost like having an AIC? what's the point if you can adjust the whole fuel map. thanks man!
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would actually be in a different cell if the boost were different, so you can tune for any boost at any rpm. I hope this helps.