Notices

Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question????

I'm running the DFI Gen 7. My timing was initally set at 24 degrees. I recently have been playing with the fuel and timing. I have added timing to as much as 34 degrees in some points and it feels stronger and AF is 12.2 constant at WOT on 7-8 lbs of boost. Might I add this is on Weisco 8.8:1 compressionin a B16A2. A friend of mine who runs Speed Pro on his stock B16 10.2:1 (I believe) compression and his timing was set no higher than 28 degrees under boost areas. I am getting it tuned soon although felt the urge to play with it. What area of timing under boost do ya'll think is relevant under boost for this setup?
Old 02-01-2003, 12:59 PM
New User

Default Re: Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question???? (turbo Si)

you really shouldnt be doing ignition tuning on the street, that should be done on the dyno. Your twin cheek dynometer will not tell you everything you need to know or what a real dyno will show you. I normally wouldnt exceed 28 degrees or so, load is usually higher on the street and you might encounter detonation from too much advance, even with perfect a/f.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question???? (VaporTrail)

VaporTrail, do you recommend J&S>?
Old 02-01-2003, 01:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question???? (Quick 200k Mile Motor)

VaporTrail, do you recommend J&S>?
I could see it's uses in some people's views, but I have never seen an instance where one would have saved a motor. A properly tuned motor shouldn't detonate, and should you have a failure, like fuel pressure or something of that nature, retarding the timing isn't going to do much, if anything, to save your motor. I guess I'm old school, I don't like too many boxes controlling too many things.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:25 PM

Too many boxes = Too many thing to go wrong =Too many wiring mistakes = Waaay too many blown motors.

Hey these kids will learn one of these days. Electronic fail when you least expect it. Especially if an amatuer installs them. No offense intended, but it's true. I've seen too many kids leave the scene because they didn't wie stuff up correctly, and got a ll pissed up at the problems they were having.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:34 PM
New User

Default Re: Stand Alone Users And Tuners, ....Question???? (tzsir)

Too many boxes = Too many thing to go wrong =Too many wiring mistakes = Waaay too many blown motors.

Hey these kids will learn one of these days. Electronic fail when you least expect it. Especially if an amatuer installs them. No offense intended, but it's true. I've seen too many kids leave the scene because they didn't wie stuff up correctly, and got a ll pissed up at the problems they were having.
couldnt have said it better myself
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if Hondata can datalog knock, and if that is recommend to get the timing.

[Modified by Quick 200k Mile Motor, 6:53 PM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 03:59 PM

you really shouldnt be doing ignition tuning on the street, that should be done on the dyno. Your twin cheek dynometer will not tell you everything you need to know or what a real dyno will show you. I normally wouldnt exceed 28 degrees or so, load is usually higher on the street and you might encounter detonation from too much advance, even with perfect a/f.
I see........we'll I guess it's in my best intrest to upload the original program my tuner setup for me to drive around in.
Thank's.