Notices

Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is really fricking bugging the crap out of me. im running a b18c JDM fully built bottom end and fully built head. stock gsr cams. i just did the V-AFC hack last week and the car ran like a champ as sooh as i did it. i was getting a knock sensor code but figured out i didntplug it back in after i put in the six puck clutch. it ran pretty good for a couple of days but know it is starting to sputter.

i will start it up in the morning and let it warm up drive to work, it will run fine for a couple of minutes and then it will start to sputter and miss. the thing that is driving me crazy is sometimes it will run fine for about 20 minutes and then when i get on the freeway it will run fine at20 vac but when i push it up to 1 boost it sputters then when i floor it the car start to pull out of the sputter around 5 boost and then runs fine at 10 boost. any ideas? please give me some ideas.

just went to 440's also.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (btole)

list your settings on the vafc. sound like its running too rich
Old 05-09-2003, 08:58 AM

this is the link : http://www.thedropshop.tv/vafc.htm

Parts Needed:
HONDA TURBO APEXi V/S-AFC FUEL MOD (PROPS TO LIAM821 for making this mod and to dropshop/usdmed9 for info and pics )write up compiled by Flipwon & dropshop/usdmed9

Parts Needed:
-APEXi V/S-AFC Fuel Controller (wired like the manual says..no wiring hacks)
-Stock Honda MAP sensor utilized ( no check valves or missing link sort of devices needed for boost up to 10psi w/o CEL)
-(4) 450 CC Injectors found in 91-99 DSM Talons/Eclipses/Lasers
-Injector Resistor Box from 88-91 style Hondas (needed if your car runs saturated injectors oem)
-Walbro 255 lr/hr high flow intake pump $109 at http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com
-Stock fuel pressure regulator and pressure is just fine in most cases

Settings:
-Set Fuel mapping for both Hi and Lo Throttle settings from 1000RPM-8000RPM at -40% (basically if ur rev range is until 7200 for example, set the fuel setting to like 7.5 or 8 so ur sure that it extends and covers all of the range u need..on a 8200 on a dohc vtec motor for example. Set fuel for the 1000 to 8500/9000 range)
-Lo/Hi fuel throttle point/crossover setting at 71%/72% (because thats when the honda ecu switches to open-loop mode..but this shouldn’t matter much because the lo and high maps are exactly the same..some people run a 98%/99% setting..it doesn’t really matter)

Additional Notes:
“That's exactly how I set mine up. Thus far it works for me @10psi with -35% trim. I tried -30% but it was too low a trim and it wound up setting off a MIL for the MAP. So I lowered it to -35% trim, 10psi no problem I set mine up as follows:
1-4k= -40%
4.5k= -38%
5k= -36%
5.5-7k= -35%
***( this means for 0-10psi boost with non modded map sensor, You have a range of -50% to -35% to play with. Any thing higher then -35 would most likely throw a code. 30 threw a code so the exact limit is somewhere between -35 and -30 but well say -35 for now)

***You lower the map input so much with the afc you allow yourself room on the honda ECU for boosting around 10psi.

***Fuel settings are, -40% from 1000-4000rpms, -35% from 5000-8000rpms (to be safe i increased the 5000+ rpms by 5%…done to richen the mixture in higher rpms for safety of course). The settings are the same on high and low throttle settings.

***“ i had mine at -48% before and it ran fine although idle was pretty ruff. Was that lean?? well not really -46% is like stock back to the fuel stock ratio when using 450cc injectors i did -48% so i could pass smog ;-)

***i was thinkin i might need an extra -10 to lean out the fuel on a smaller motor/non vtec or on lower boost?? well the ECU will correct for the lower fuel needed for the non-vtec, you just need to correct for the size of the injector increase really.

***This runs extremely smooth, like a stock turbo car, where u don’t notice the transition into boost,

***with an afc you can idle a 450cc injector without a problem. the first settings is 1000rpms. but it corrects from 0-1000rpms on the 1000rpm setting. just set the 1000rpm setting and the idle will be fine.

***if you use a stock pump...get a fuel pressure gauge so you know you are still moving enough fuel. but i highly recommend a walbro intank pump.

***everything would still work right..if i wanted to lean the overall mixture a little bit..mechanically with the FPR?? ya...you can lean out the ECU and richen with a FPR.

***if i lowered the FPR fuel pressure..that wouldnt **** with the idling of the 450cc's would it? the afc would still keep it in check with a lower physical fuel pressure?? sure the lower the fuel pressure the higher you need to set ur afc. the higher the fuel pressure the lower you need to set ur afc. the lower you have ur afc the more boost you can run.

***this mod performed strongly on dohc vtec b16a and sohc vtec engines respectively, and both ran smooth

***i was worried about part throttle settings with your mod..but u say it works wonders in all conditions pretty much and thats what streetability is all about?? ya its amazing i own a mitsubishi eclipse GSX (2g awd turbo) my honda runs as smooth as that in and outa boost its like stock. .although really fast. throttle responce was perfect. 1/2 throttle at 8-9psi going up a hill is just awesome. its just smooth power. i can do burn runs in 1st and feather the throttle and it doesnt buck or do anything wierd..its just smooth as silk.

***the % crossover shouldn't matter because you said you're using the same -40% maps for both high and low throttle, right? Right

i run a 95 b18 in a 98 civic converted to obd I if that helps

do you think it is running to rich?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (btole)

Sputtering in my experience comes from too large spark plug gap.

Try gapping them down.

If youre bogging I'd lean more toward the VAFC settings being off.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (niedejb)

Ditch the hack and get a real ems.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:37 PM

cant afford it right now
Old 05-09-2003, 08:05 PM

someone please help me
Old 05-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (niedejb)

Did you even try this?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niedejb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sputtering in my experience comes from too large spark plug gap.

Try gapping them down.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-09-2003, 09:26 PM

i think you're running too lean, i have the same problem with mine and havent had a chance to fix it.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sputtering is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbod16y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">list your settings on the vafc. sound like its running too rich
</TD></TR></TABLE>