Notices

Spec Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Clutch question

Ok I am in the market for a clutch for my Integra build. I have a goal hp of 800whp in mind, now that does not mean I am going to be cruising around every day in a 800whp car. That mean I wanna reach that power level just to say I did it, and to have it on tap at track events where competition will be stiff. From what I have been told by different tuners that will put my tq level around the 500ft/lb mark.

Any other day i will be in the 500whp area with a tq number somewhere in the 300's most likely. I have been looking into Twin Disk setups and they are the clutch of choice for most people in the 800whp group. I was looking at Spec's website at their different clutches and noticed their stage 5 clutch is rated at 575ft/lbs of tq.

My question is will the stage 5 suffice or is a Twin Disk the better route to go. Money isn't the reason I am wondering, I mean hell 6k in a motor whats 1k in a clutch lol. However if I could save a few bucks and put that towards some other goodies, all the while still retaining durability that would be great.

Anyone here making more then 500whp? If so what clutch setup are you running. Just trying to get an idea of all my options, before setting my mind on one paticular clutch
Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spec Clutch question

You can get a good clutch like ACT or Clutch Master that will support your power goals. The twin disk will not make a good daily driven car.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Spec makes a good clutch, the stage 5 is pretty beefy i was looking at it at the fall nationals. i would imagine it will hold 800whp BUT its not going to hold up to alot of abuse like a twin disc would. Basically it just wont last as long and start slipping much earlier than a twin would but it would be somewhat streetable

exedy has a hyper single, maybe that would work for you, its kinda like a twin setup only with a single disc
Old 11-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i too would like to know for rr. looks like spec has a alum pressure plate option which would be like a exedy hyper single. i had a hyper single in my nsx and loved it super stiff tons of clamping force but just tame enough to still drive it every day. so if this is similar from spec i would rather run it as its less than that by a little.