Notices

Sorry I know this a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry I know this a dumb question

I have been a member for a few weeks. I just recently purchased a 2000 SI w/greddy turbo. I had it shipped when It got here Tues, I started it up smoked filled the all parking lot. Took it to the performance shop 3 cracked pistons, rings shot.. Oh well.. Any way I am trying to buy parts or atleast talk to someone in this forum about their parts and my permission is denied! What do I Have to do to be able to talk with someone?

I want to put CP Pistons, Eagle Rods , do I have to resleeve the block? I am also looking to port and polish the head, I would rather buy one already done with valve work. I found a b18 head will that work on a b16a? At one point do I ahve to re sleeve it?

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sorry I know this a dumb question (hayden187)

you shoudlnt have to sleeve the block if its stock internally you can get away with just having the block bored and putting some .020 over (81.5mm) pistons in it. if the cylinder walls are scored or worn beyond a .020 bore cleaning it up enough to use youll neeed a new block or to have it sleeved. sleeves arent necessary unless youre paranoid, your tuner sucks, your making over 500whp, or any combination of those.

as long as the B18 head your talking about is a GSR or ITR and not an LS (b18a) it will work fine all dohc vtec heads are physically interchangeable (intake manifold bolt pattern is diff on GSR vs B16/type r just the ports and combustion chambers are slightly different. in other words it doesnt really matter.

hope that helps some

Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sorry I know this a dumb question (CoreyR)

Thanks for your reply! so I should definitely get it bored? Can car quest or something like that handle that? How do I get allowd permission to be able to pm someone in the classified? Where do you think is the best place to order pistons and stuff like that?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayden187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for your reply! so I should definitely get it bored? Can car quest or something like that handle that? How do I get allowd permission to be able to pm someone in the classified? Where do you think is the best place to order pistons and stuff like that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on if the cylinder walls are damaged or not, you may be able to get away with standard size pistons. car parts stores dont typically do machine work you would need to go to and engine builder for that. i would recommend finding a local engine builder and talk with them about it if youre not fully aware of how to properly build an engine.

you cant pm people until your trial status is gone. it takes a certain amount of posts im not really sure of the amount thought. check out http://www.tunertoys.com they have everything you need to build a good motor.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I end up purchasing a b18 do i need to get a b16a arp headbolts or b18 head bolts? It has a AEM fuel rail and Rc 440 injectors. Do you recommend moving up? Here is my Current setup
Stock b16a
Greddy 18G Turbo Kit
Aem Fuel Rail
RC 440 injector
Managa Flow Exhaust
EMS say Hondata on it but inside the chip is blank!?!?

I am looking to purchase a head that has already been done by someone in the forum. CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, Walbro Fuel Pump, .20 bore (thanks for you advice there) , ARP Head studs, Skunk2 Intake Manifold for what head I can find done, Cometic Head gaskets.

Any suggestions or changes you think I should make? Thanks again for your help
Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayden187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I end up purchasing a b18 do i need to get a b16a arp headbolts or b18 head bolts? It has a AEM fuel rail and Rc 440 injectors. Do you recommend moving up? Here is my Current setup
Stock b16a
Greddy 18G Turbo Kit
Aem Fuel Rail
RC 440 injector
Managa Flow Exhaust
EMS say Hondata on it but inside the chip is blank!?!?

I am looking to purchase a head that has already been done by someone in the forum. CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, Walbro Fuel Pump, .20 bore (thanks for you advice there) , ARP Head studs, Skunk2 Intake Manifold for what head I can find done, Cometic Head gaskets.

Any suggestions or changes you think I should make? Thanks again for your help</TD></TR></TABLE>

you need to get B16 head studs no matter what head you use because the b16 block is shorter then all the other B18 blocks. 440's will probably be fine for a greddy kit, they dont make all that much power anyways. dont waste your money on a skunk 2 intake. AEBS manifolds are cheaper and work better. honestly from what ive seen cometic gaskets are a huge waste of money. use an OEM honda or felpro MLS head gasket.

as far as the hondata thing what do you mean the chip is blank? it probably wont say anything on it, its whats burned into the chip that matters. youll need to bring it to a shop that knows what they are doing and have them determine whats up with that.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your useing a B18 block use gsr or ls head bolts....
USE ARP HEAD STUDS BECAUSE YOUR BOOSTING...<U></U>
how much boost are you boosting? psi&gt;???

and start leaving more replys to other peoples forms/threads and you will beable to talk to other people ==pm===
i see that you only have 3 post== i think the min= is 5....
good luck
Old 10-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I just bought it and it was already messed up.. i was not told that it was but I found out real quick when it got here.. but I think it is set at 8psi?

When I say the chip is blank i mean the back of it! the shop i took it too was Turbo tune and he said it could be chrom, he didnt take it out cause it he said it was pointless to even look at the car until i got the engine worked out! If my cyclinder holes are not scared should I still bore it?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sorry I know this a dumb question (424racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 424racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your useing a B18 block use gsr or ls head bolts....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LS and gsr bolts are different lengths. Gsr bolts are longer.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you need to get B16 head studs no matter what head you use because the b16 block is shorter then all the other B18 blocks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How would the deck height affect the length requirement of the head bolts? The bolts don't go down to the crank centerline..just into the deck.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have a b16a block and i am lookin to purchase a b18 head what head bolts do i need?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hayden187)

My local shop B.A.R.D. has a built GSR block that was in my car before I went to another engine, you could get that and drop it in your car with your stock head give him a call his name is Rusty 919-356-5951 and he can put the engine together for you it's near Fort Bragg/Fayetteville. He also has a good machine shop to get the head done up right for you. Also I would prefer Golden Eagle HG.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sorry I know this a dumb question (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How would the deck height affect the length requirement of the head bolts? The bolts don't go down to the crank centerline..just into the deck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok so if the deck is physically shorter, then the cylinders are shorter right? so that means the head bolt holes in the block are shallower right? well that would mean the head studs themselves would need to be shorter.

lets puts that aside and pretend im wrong about all that which i very well couldbe, B16 and GSR head studs have 2 different part numbers, therefore there is a difference between them and since all VTEC heads are physically the same (aside from a few irrelevant differences) and all B series head bolt threads are the same, that would mean even ARP agrees he needs to use B16 head studs.

do you disagree with any of that?

Modified by CoreyR at 9:59 PM 10/11/2008
Old 10-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayden187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well I just bought it and it was already messed up.. i was not told that it was but I found out real quick when it got here.. but I think it is set at 8psi?

When I say the chip is blank i mean the back of it! the shop i took it too was Turbo tune and he said it could be chrom, he didnt take it out cause it he said it was pointless to even look at the car until i got the engine worked out! If my cyclinder holes are not scared should I still bore it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if there is a chip in the ecu then it cant be hondata because hondata has its own board thats gets attached to the inside of the ecu and doesnt have removable chips (from what i remember). most likely is crome. you need a machine shop to look at the block and measure the bores to determine if its ok to go with standard bore pistons, even if they arent scored they can still be out of round, excess wear, etc.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IndySporty)

what has been done to the short block? thanks for telling me about it.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess one day this forum will let me pm or reply in the classifieds... that would be nice... i dont understand why it wont let me now.. thats kind of stupid!!! there are several parts I would like to buy but my permission is being denied... what is this some kind of kid stuff? i dont understand!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would assume it's cuz you have low post #'s? idk tho...that's how some forums are
Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hayden its nice to see your have moved to something that is a little bit power oriented intstead of bagging 96 accords. Sucks to hear about the motor though. If I recall correctly my local machine shop has maybe one or two feshly sleeved b18 blocks laying around. That is if you remember where Norwood is lol....GL with your build either way Oh the machine shop is hpengines.net
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slaminsam)

Sam

howd you know it was me? were u workin? I called that shop they said they were sold!!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I seen the hayden and greensboro so I figured it had to be you. I gave up on the dealership and working at this place that makes conveyor components and went back to school again lol. What are you upto these days besides looking to build a boost motor?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slaminsam)

Justin and I have a used car dealership in Greensboro. We both are trying to build a boosted Honda But I am going to give up on this one of mine! Hes not on his... do u still have a honda
Old 10-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I knew yall would eventually get back into selling cars as much as yall went through them. Man dont give up on the build. Just be patient and you can find you some good deals. I know you wont keep the car for that long so just get another stock motor or do a stock rebuild... The most important key to making an engine last is the tune! I have a 95 teg that I have had for about two months now. I built a 10:1 ls vtec and swapped it in and converted to 98-01 bumpers so far... So if your giving up on the boost motor I need to take the kit it off your hands then
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out http://www.tunertoys.com they have everything you need to build a good motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Corey!

If you guys send us an email, and mention this thread, we'll put together a packge deal for you on the parts to complete your project.

Craig