Notices

someone help me solve my overheating problems..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone help me solve my overheating problems..

I have did a search for several days now and I can't find the answer to my problem. I plan on getting a Fluidyne Radiator this week but I'm just afraid that is not going to solve all my problems. When ever I drive my car during the heat of the day my car starts over heating in stop and go driving with the a/c on. I realize that if I turn the AC of and Turn on the heater on my temperature will go down and it won't over heat anymore. Whenever I stop by a gas station I notice the overflow tanks over filling with radiator fluid and leaking out of the top, I guess kind of pressurizing it. Every thread I read everyone said it's head gasket. Well I did a leak down test and compression test and everthing looks fine. At night my car doesn't over head at all when I drive hard or stop and go traffic... The only time it start to raise temperature is when I let the car sit and have the AC on for more than 10 mins. But when I drive it doesn't matter if I drive hard or conservative it will never over heat at all or raise temperature. My car runs like a champ at night time. No smoke comes from my exhaust or anywhere else, and Like I've done test to show that it's not head gasket being busted.
Here is the gist my set up:
Golden Eagle sleeved GSR motor 81mm
JE pistons w/ crower rods
Cometic thick head gasket
ARP Headstuds
inline pro manifold
and precision sc61 turbo
w/ 1000cc injectors

I have ARP head stud so I don't think my head is lifting off the block, also I have a cometic headgasket that I only have under 1000 miles on it so I don't think it busted already. I check the bottom radiator hose and it's equally hot as the top one so I think my radiator is working. I changed out the old radiator cap with another one because the original one busted. Please, what else can I check for or what is wrong with my cooling system?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: someone help me solve my overheating problems.. (SupraDai)

This may sound dumb to you but....

Is your radiator fan turning on and off?
Old 08-29-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: someone help me solve my overheating problems.. (maxspeedhonda)

yes it is turning on and off
Old 08-29-2004, 05:29 PM

I'm pretty much having the same problem as you. 700 or so miles on the motor and its heating up as you say, and I'm not even fully boosting yet. Do you see any white residue under your oil cap or in the oil pan. Check for that. The way it sounds, I'm pretty sure its the headgasket or your cooling system isn't efficient enough to keep with your underhood temperatures. Also, compression/leak-down tests sometimes don't say whether or not its a bad headgasket. These are some things to think about. Let me know if you ever get this resolved, I on the other hand am going to pull my head off to see what's wrong.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: someone help me solve my overheating problems.. (IVANITR)

how is my headgasket blown already though... My car runs like a champ at night and i'm pretty sure the cometic headgasket is much better then the oem ones. There is not white residue on my oil cap. Under my engine bay it is at least 5 times hotter then my car was before i boosted it.. hopefully a new radiator will stop that.. but still why does my reserve tank over flow but then at night the overflow goes back into the radiator and the tank is half empty again..
Old 08-29-2004, 06:05 PM

could it be a faulty thermostat? i believe it is the thermostat that allows the fluid to enter the motor. if at some point the fluid is not allowed to enter the motor it would clog up and spill into the overflow can.... just an idea. thermostats a cheap fix too (as u know)
Old 08-29-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: someone help me solve my overheating problems.. (donkiman)

If it's not the headgasket, then I don't know what it could be. Might be the thermostat as said. It might be just because your A/C is on. That makes it 100x's hotter than with it not on. Do you have the A/C fan hooked up properly? Being the condensor in the way, it could starve the radiator from air suction or even hot air being sucked into the radiator through the condensor. Freon/R134 heats up hot before it becomes cool that's why the condensor resembles a radiator.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: someone help me solve my overheating problems.. (IVANITR)

im pretty possitve i hooked up the fan right... so the overflow tank pressurizing is nothing to worry about?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 PM

anyone else?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:33 PM

up again