Notices

Some serious issues with Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some serious issues with Hondata

Well this may be a form of venting post.
Friday night I installed my S200 with boost, my 440cc RC's and my OBDI conversion. Today I had a dyno appointment at the Hondata dealer (not where I purchased the unit from.) and after a frustrating 2 hours the tuner decided that seems he was getting a code as soon as I hit 1psi of boost, the S200/B was missing the "B" option. To prove his point he hooked up one of the Hondata units out of one of his cars.....and viola!!! The car spooled up to boost with no problems.
So $210 later, the car was back off of the dyno with pretty much nothing accomplished as far as under boost tuning....seems I do not have the boost option unlocked on my interface unit. I called the Hondata dealer that sold me the unit and he confirmed my serial # with his Hondata invoice that said this unit was an S200 with boost option.
I plan to call Hondata on monday and find out the unlock code for the unit. There still is the matter of the $210 of dyno and troubleshooting time.... Should I see about getting some sort of reimbursement from Hondata? I honestly beleive this was an honest mistake, I won't badmouth anybody, ( hence I did not mention any Hondata dealers names involved.)

Opinions?

[edited because this post made me sound pissed, and I am not.]

[Modified by Sleepin', 3:02 AM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (Sleepin')

I first think your tuner should have known before two hours that it was not a 'b' option Hondata, but that is me. Second, yeah you should be entitled to some reimbrusement, but i dont know if you will get any.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:35 PM

i think you should have waited until you talked to hondata about the situation before you start posting threads...if they are total dicks about it then by all means post away....but until then i think you should cool down.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (DeepSi)

the dealer that sold you the s200 had to check if the unit had the boost enable but that's me, a check each one a sell or tune, so that won't hapend.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (CzanSOHC)

Hmmm. I just installed my S200B and am not able to hit a single psi of boost and not rev over 4K as well. I assumed this was a safety precaution programmed into the base map but now that you say this...

Hell we even wrote "P06 for S200 with Boost" in magic marker on the ECU lid. I sure hope I dont have the same problem you are having.

-Seth
Old 03-01-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (CzanSOHC)

Dont get me wrong....that is why I said it was an honest mistake!!!! I am just frustrated. I have heard NOTHING but positive opinions of the people at Hondata! I am positive things will work out for the best.

I am not in any means badmouthing anyone....I am just expressing my frustration for an honest mistake.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sure it will all work out. I hope maybe one of the guys from Hondata can pop on here and let us know if it's normal or not...

-Seth

[Modified by TheShocker, 1:52 AM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (TheShocker)

It installed pretty nice. Everything looks factory except in my glove box. The unit did give me the best idle I have ever had! The best it has been since it was new....and a DX!
Old 03-01-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (TheShocker)

the way i see it, its the tuners fault. AFTER 2 hrs of TRYING to tune your set up with ZERO success, he shouldve known something isnt right..

the way i see it, the deal is to pay someone 2 hrs worth of dyno time TO TUNE your car..and no tuning was done..so he didnt do his job. i would think the tuner should either not charge u the full $200 plus since he never did his oriinal job. or at least cut u a deal on tuning time when u do get your hondata worked on.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (Tru Dynamix)

the way i see it, the deal is to pay someone 2 hrs worth of dyno time TO TUNE your car..and no tuning was done..so he didnt do his job.
No, I think he charged me a fair price. He and his crew DID spend the time with my car, and my car was on the dyno taking up time. I did have an appointment for 3 hours that he would have filled otherwise. The tuner has to be paid for that time regardless of the outcome. ie: If my car blew up on the dyno the tuner is not responsible.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM

1. It took the tuner 2 hours for them to figure out the the boost option was not unlocked?

2. The hondalogger should be used be even making the first run. How would they know the exact map site that the ECU is using.

3. I use my own stage 4 or S200 when dynotuning a customer car to so that I could use all the Hondata features.

4. You 2 hours would have been worth it, if they used their own system and then your only problem would be unlocking the boost option.

5. Did you do the install yourself? If not, then buying from the same dealer and tuner would have been a better idea.

6. No use crying over spilt milk.

7. Hope it owrks out for you.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (KOTSEMOTO)

hehehe, well as for #5...yes I did the install myself, I pride myself in doing everything I can on the car myself. (that is the best way to appreciate something)
..as for #6 No crying, just frustration and mild embarrasment getting my car on the rollers to have it fall on its face.

and #4....I had no clue that would be possible. I totally spaced about the ability to have it tuned in and then unlocked.

Last but not least #7...thanks, I am sure it will once I get it unlocked.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:47 AM
XES
Honda-Tech Member

Just a quick question...which should be obvious...why the hell aren't you guys tuning your car on the street with a lambda meter before you hit the dyno? You can easily get the car to 90% on the street.
If you would have done that...which is usually the first step in tuning a vehicle...then you wouldn't have spent any money (unless the clown tuning your car didn't notice that 1psi could not be reached). Hondata is not at fault here...it is your dealer/tuner. They are the ones who put the code in to enable boost (at the time of map preparation, installation, etc.).
Next time have it tuned by someone with a brain.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry if I'm post jacking but how much does an S200 (whole kit & kaboodle) go for nowadays...do you still have to have your stock ECU hacked for it to work or do they provide the ECUs now?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:26 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (MiraiZ)

Miraiz, you still need the ecu modded. although i use the S200 for tuning purposes, i plan on running an S100 in my next project due to its simplicity in locating it inside the ecu box itself. Prices with boost are still about $475. check out the hondata website for pricing. I usually discount the price if someone does their tuning with me (well i should say, I give a tuning discount since youre not supposed to discount the Hondata price when advertising). They have been and still remain the simplest and best device out there, imo. Now with real time fuel and ignition changes and autotuning, it makes it even better.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:53 AM

I believe the Liability for this mess falls on Hondata. its their quality control mistake and as such they should absorb the cost, not the customer. If you had improperly installed the unit, obviously it would be your fault.

the company I work for charges the suppliers for shitty products/materials we recieve. we expect them to supply quality materials, thats why we buy from them. they **** up, they pay. eg: labour, packaging, disposal etc.

there is no physical way of looking at the Hondata unit and being able to tell if its "unlocked" so there's nothing you can do on your part.

I think the tuner should have noticed it off the bat tho.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (GruvyTune)

Ok thanks...was thinking I might get one for comparison purpposes (see if its better than what I have) It also says that they convert the plugs from OBDI to II or IIB for you so that there is need for a harness? How much extra is that?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:13 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (MiraiZ)

more than if you buy a harness.
they want $425 for a p28 with obd2 connector built onto it.
its a nice convenience but a little pricey to me.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (GruvyTune)

sounds like the tuner should have known it was for s200/b sooner than 2 hrs.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:34 PM
XES
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some serious issues with Hondata (machaf)

Did the tuner/dealer check to see if the boost option was enabled? This is done by opening up Hondalogger & going to ECU information (under the heading ECU). If it was done, and program stated that Boost option was Enabled...but it still did not work, then Hondata is most likely at fault.
If the dealer/tuner, never checked this ahead of time, then the problem lies at the tuner/dealer end. They are responsible for ensuring that the product has all the options it is supposed to have (that's why they are Hondata dealers). It takes 5min to check with Hondalogger (which anyone can download for free), and an extra 1min to add the Boost option (with the proper unlock code).

[Modified by XES, 7:37 PM 3/2/2003]
Old 03-02-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thats kinda weird, your tunner should not have had any problem tunning your car, untill he hooked your box back up. Sounds to me he should have hook his 4b setup to it in the first place. I have seen tons of hondats setups tunned and the customers box is not even used untill the final chip is burnt

[Modified by turboex, 3:58 AM 3/3/2003]