Notices

some guidance for next turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some guidance for next turbo build

whats up guys, this is my first post on here. i am new to the whole honda turbo/motor stuff. however i am not knew to ls1's and ls1's with turbos. i own a single cab silverado with a front mount s465 turbo on it. somewere in the 600's with 14psi, i also have a ls2 z06 putting down alittle over 480 with stock ls3 heads and intake. lets get to the chase.

i am wanting to build a fun "toy" and show all these lsx's guys around here with 120-135mph cars thats honda's have potential. i am aware that you cannot match up a mph with an ET on a honda because of their 60's on the track. so basically i would like to build a 92 hatch back civic with some suspension,big slicks up front and a drivetrain that will hold up track dutys.

i want to trap 140mph+ in the 1/4 and run maybe some low 10's? not sure if this is doable.

now with the questions.

is there such thing as building a 140mph honda on a budget?

what kind of motor/turbo setup would you guys reccommend for me and what would the price tag look like as far as motor and turbo set up only?

here is what i had in mind:

b18,h22,k20

completely forged motor. rods,pistons,race bearings etc
stock cams
borg warner s300 series 25-30psi
jgs w/g and BOV
precision intercooled

which motor would you guys recommend out of the three? i want a motor that isnt super expensive to build but also make the power to do what i want to do or atleast get close to it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: some guidance for next turbo build

have you searched at all here on honda-tech theres a lot of threads allready with the same topics

as for reaching goals of 140+ 10ET is usually what we trap any ways ...

now what type of budget in mind do you have ?

you could build a b series ls vtec really cheap its all on you and how reliable you want it. you could probably touch your goals with about 3 or 4 thousand keeping in mind you all ready have the car.

beseries for a budget is probally your best bet

rods and pistons are deff a good thing to get but sleeves leaves some more room for security. as for bearings oem is fine.

what exact turbo do you have in mind?
25-30 psi is different in every turbo, so think of amount of power not psi.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been searching around here for a few days but couldnt find anything as far as $$ went with setups.

i would like to spend about 4500-5000 on a motor and turbo kit is that doable but still being reliable? i dont want to put 5k in a motor and tranny but the bitch blow within months. i was thinking of an precision 6262/6265 or borg warner s372.

now how much power would it take to meet th goals i have? that would lead me in the right direction of an actual turbo.

i was thinking just get a golden eagle sleeved b series block from speed factory.

i notice there are 350$ rods and there are 750$ rods.. samething goes for pistons. i dont see anywere were it says the amount of power each one handles. which would fit my application best? budget is key but ill spend the money in the places it needs to be spent!
Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CP pistons ~5-600bucks and eagle rods ~220-250ish will do you just fine for the power you need.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slowlsx
i have been searching around here for a few days but couldnt find anything as far as $$ went with setups.

i would like to spend about 4500-5000 on a motor and turbo kit is that doable but still being reliable? i dont want to put 5k in a motor and tranny but the bitch blow within months. i was thinking of an precision 6262/6265 or borg warner s372.

now how much power would it take to meet th goals i have? that would lead me in the right direction of an actual turbo.

i was thinking just get a golden eagle sleeved b series block from speed factory.

i notice there are 350$ rods and there are 750$ rods.. samething goes for pistons. i dont see anywere were it says the amount of power each one handles. which would fit my application best? budget is key but ill spend the money in the places it needs to be spent!
More expensive rods like the crowers are lighter then the Eagles. Eagles hold good power, but the crowers are less rotational mass. I believe they also carry a higher HP handling ability as well. I am not 100% sure on this however. People make great power on Eagle rods.

K series make insane power (for a 4 cylinder) with boost. I am not familiar with the building cost though, haven't built one yet. I am going to assume its an expensive build as cost is the sole reason I don't play with the K yet.

Of your options I would say a well assembled B series will get you where you are looking to be. I don't think it can be done for 4 grand, but I could be wrong. The transmissions have shown to hold up quite well on the B series, even the D series under boost/high hp. You will want to invest in a good quality LSD and I would also reccomend some traction bars. Traction will be your biggest issue as I am sure you already know. If I had to take a guess, I would say somewhere around 450-500whp will net you 10's.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b series sounds like the way to go. now as far as a head,cams and valvetrain what would i need? would ebay turbo manifold and ebay intercooler kit do the trick or should i order from somewere else? i see there are manifolds from 200 all the way up to 1300 not sure what exactly i need.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B-series would be most cost effective way to go, and make basically same power as K-series in a boosted application. power band will be more peaky than K, but since your going to track, shouldnt make a difference. 5k will get you close, just depends on the parts and if you can wait around to find good deals. Expect 5-6k minimum for a 10sec. enigne/turbo setup. This prob does not include fuel setup, tuning, suspension, etc.... so do you homework and look around on here, its all been covered.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any reputable shops/websites i can go to that can maybe build me a shortblock or have good prices for the parts im going to need. ive been looking at speedfactoryracing,slowmotionmotorsports,t1racingd evelopment.. is there any other places i should be going to?

another question, does anyone seel a nice complete turbo kit for the b-series motors? or is peicing a kit together best.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'll PM you with some info and what to look for and what to LOOKOUT for..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'll PM you with some info and what to look for and what to LOOKOUT for..
hey man i really appreciate it!!

thanks everybody for replying to all the questions i have. over on ls1tech it till take days/weeks to get people help you out with anything half the time they are diks!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

b series sounds like the way to go. now as far as a head,cams and valvetrain what would i need? would ebay turbo manifold and ebay intercooler kit do the trick or should i order from somewere else? i see there are manifolds from 200 all the way up to 1300 not sure what exactly i need.
I would say hands down DO NOT buy Ebay manifold. Maybe the intercooler but thats a huge gamble IMO also. The manifolds have proven to be craps shoots over and over.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
I would say hands down DO NOT buy Ebay manifold. Maybe the intercooler but thats a huge gamble IMO also. The manifolds have proven to be craps shoots over and over.
thanks for the heads up as i was looking at purchasing one from there but ive seen a few websites on here posted by other members and they seem to have really nice manifolds for around 400-800.

now i had a big problem with wrong wastegate size in my turbo truck.as far as these small motors what would be the correct wastegate and bov size? im looking at jgs,tial or precision.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the heads up as i was looking at purchasing one from there but ive seen a few websites on here posted by other members and they seem to have really nice manifolds for around 400-800.

now i had a big problem with wrong wastegate size in my turbo truck.as far as these small motors what would be the correct wastegate and bov size? im looking at jgs,tial or precision.
A tial 38mm would do the trick for the WG and the tial 50mm BOV is a great piece as well. Have you though about cams, Intake manifold and TB at all?

70mm TB portmatched to a victor x and Blox Comp. B cams are a killer setup for 10 sec cars with larger turbos. Top end is where all the power is made.

Last edited by 93egSLEEPER; 09-17-2010 at 09:50 AM.