Notices

Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:11 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature

Just so you guys understand:

The Automapping feature adjusts, or tunes, your fuel map to achieve a target air fuel ratio. you specify the target air fuel ratio for each cell of your fuel map. there is a software algorithm that determines how many a/f samples are taken from the wideband while driving in each cell before it makes a change. also, how much change is also set by the user. you don't want it to make too large a change or it will be always jumping between richer and leaner than your target and never get settled near / right at it. If you allow too small a change, it will take forever as you inch toward the target a/f ratio.

In other words, it takes some fiddling to make it work well. It took me about 2 hours to set up automapping so that it works effectively. I can share my settings if anyone wants. Once I got my wideband installed, and got the EMS to have a good response curve so that the EMS matched the techedge display, and then got the automapping configured, its worked great.

Also, automapping is only active when there is a laptop plugged into the EMS and you're runnign the aempro software and have automapping enabled. It wont do it automatically. I wouldnt want it to, either.

There is a feature that i have been using more often lately. It is where you are taking samples of your a/f ratio in each cell but not activly changing the fuel map. When your fuel map is dialed in pretty well, this is helpful to see which areas are still out of whack or whatever, and then you can hit the "program changes" button to have it tweak the fuel map later, instead of having it do it on the fly.

Hope this clears things up. It sounded like some people got the impression that this feature was like having a dyno tuner inside the EMS and its far from it. Its mainly the fastest and easiest way to tune all that part throttle, not peak boost parts of the fuel maps, which is 90% of the tuning anyway.

Joe
Old 01-15-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (falc0n)

Nice thanks for the clarifaction
Old 01-15-2003, 04:43 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (DeepSi)

ttt
Old 01-15-2003, 06:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so after all this is it possible to get that "just like stock" drive quality?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:38 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (00SilverLS)

pretty damn close!

i cant say 100% yet. i havent completed testing.

i guess at some point i'll provide a good basemap for the average turbo GSR. but my time for this project is has been crushed by girls hockey and work and other project etc etc.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so comforting!
i will be pm'ing you soon

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:50 AM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (SiRkid)

Excellent info.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (SiRkid)

The Autronic has a self tuning module also. It will tune itself on the dyno or you can take your car out on the back roads and it will tune itself in 20 minutes of fun driving. Don't ask me any questions about it as I have not used it personally but it's supposed to work great.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (earl)

I haven't messed with the AEM software yet, but it sounds like a closed loop setting with a desired O2 correction factor. You set your target a/f ratio for a specific cell and the ecu corrects based on the readings off the wideband. If the wideband registers richer than your target a/f, it under corrects and you get a -% O2 correction factor and vise versa. Your goal is to get near to 0% O2 correction.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:14 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (boostaholic)

yes sir. the o2 feedback (closed loop) works in the exact same manner except its correcting in near real time and not logging it to make permanent changes to the fuel map.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:15 PM

good to know.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So how much is a prebuilt techedge unit? I saw $279 U.S. somewhere on that site. Is this true? Im definately going to want to use the auto-map feature. I just sent a MO out today to boomslang, and will be recieving my 30-1000 next week....Im VERY excited.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (double0Si)

Out of curiosity, how many injectors can the EMS support?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (boosted92)

10...I am running 8 450cc
Old 01-21-2003, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (Tinker219)

how much was your 30-1000?Can you get base maps from Co's that tune like payne tech or some other tuner?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (Tinker219)

10...I am running 8 450cc
Ok call me an idiot, but how do you get 8 injectors in a Honda?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (speedymon)

IDIOT lol... hey Ray... I know this is not the answer but you can ask Turbopanda he added four more to his teg... he even had a pic of it...i'll search for it so i can put a link for ya....
Old 01-22-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (LJR-LUDE01)

IDIOT lol... hey Ray... I know this is not the answer but you can ask Turbopanda he added four more to his teg... he even had a pic of it...i'll search for it so i can put a link for ya....
you can either make an additional custom fuel rail for the 4 additional injectors, or tap them into the intake manifold so they can be as close to the cylinder they are supplying fuel for.

...although I dont think tapping the IM is common practice.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This may be a dumb question but is it safe (for the motor) to drive around with the laptop on and the auto mapping feature always running? Or is this more for a track application instead of daily driving?
Old 01-22-2003, 07:23 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (underpressure (wtbimport))

This may be a dumb question but is it safe (for the motor) to drive around with the laptop on and the auto mapping feature always running? Or is this more for a track application instead of daily driving?
i usually head out of town where the roads are less populated. the best roads are empy highways or just roads without lights so you can hit all the cells in the fuel map by revving all over the place in 2nd 3rd and 4th. there are some cells that you will only hit during city driving (like 0psi off idle, when quick launching from a light)...you can and should turn on automapping, drive, park, and then turn it off.

tinkering with the laptop while driving is dangerous and you should minimize how much you do it.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No no I did not mean tinkering with the laptop. I meant does it do any harm to the engine/sensors or anything driving around with the laptop on all the time? I guess I do not fully understand what the automapping feature does.
My understanding of it is once you set the base fuel mapping it will auto calculate and correct for your motor depending on I guess your speed, air temp and so on. Is this a basic understanding of it or do I have it all wrong? TIA
Old 01-22-2003, 08:29 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (underpressure (wtbimport))

the laptop plugs into the EMS. it does not affect the engine at all.

i think you're confusing 2 diffeent features:

O2 sensor feedback: looks at the o2 sensor and corrects fuel on the fly, does not change fuel map, just compensates for changes in temp, altitude etc.

automapping: tunes the fuel map for you by looking at the o2 sensor and adding / removing fuel from the fuel map. you turn OFF o2 feedback (1st feature) to do this. you do NOT automap all the time. just get the fuel map dialed in and then turn off automapping and turn on o2 feedback.

then you dont need the laptop to drive the car anymore.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:03 AM

so is this automapping feature a simple replacement for actual dyno tuning? Why spend hundreds on one tuning session if this does it all for you?
Old 01-22-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (highbrid)

i think thats why most of the people are claiming that the EMS maybe one of the better engine management systems for DIYers. Remember...its not EASY to do all of this. Its not like you just turn it on and expect it to work.

Also you would still goto the dyno for your power runs. There you can mess with your timing and cam settings easier. Plus its nice to know how much hp/tq you are putting down, although there is a person that wrote a function that actually calculates it in the EMS given some inputs (weight, gear ratio, etc). And it's probally also much safer to go on a dyno to do your 3rd-4th gear 8200rpm tunes...but that could just be me.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature (prophet)

but would everyone who is using the techedge unit highly recommend me buying one and using the automapping feature? Falcon may be the only one who can answer this. I just want to know that I am actually going to be using the thing before I buy it. It just seems like it is too easy.

Quick Reply: Some comments on AEM EMS's "Autotuning" feature