Notices

solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered!

i put the paper-clip in the check engine light service connector - to pull the code, and when i put the paper clip in (with the ingition in the on posistion) the check engine light just stays on solid! i waited for over 30 seconds and nothing happens.

does anyone know what this means?

i dont think its a bad ecu, because i have put almost 1,000 miles on this motor with this ecu and the car runs great.

its a 92 hatchback cx w/ a p30 jdm ecu and b16a2

any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (SolidSpruce)

How are you checking the code? Make sure you do not start the vehicle. Just turn the key to the "ON" position.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (integra_gsr98)

correct, i have the key in the on position, but am not starting or cranking over the engine. basically all the dash lights are on (oil, seat belt, airbag, etc) then the check engine light usually clicks off after a few seconds...

when i turn the car on, the check engine light will turn on after about 3 seconds of the engine running.

when i go to pull the code, instead of flashing anything, it just stays on solid.

im truly stumpt
Old 03-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (SolidSpruce)

i think this means the ecu is fugged...
Old 03-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the cel still on? i got a CEL on the freeway while cruising at 70-75 mph. when I pulled off onto a street and into a parking lot to check it, the CEL wouldn't blink, either. i just shrugged it off and reset the ecu. hasn't come back on and the car runs the same. i'm not worried.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (Daniel)

are you jumping the plug then turning the ignition on? or are you turning the ignition on and then jumping the wire?
also it's normal for the cel to come on for a second then go away when you start the car.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (b16ahybrid)

yeah, that is normal when u are checking a code. if there are no codes, the light will just stay solidly lit. it doesn't mean your ecu is messed up. your all good.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:41 PM

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (SpoolnG2)

you can jump the code when the engine is running or even after u have the ignition on, it doesnt really matter.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (lilxvtecxpwr)

you can jump the code when the engine is running or even after u have the ignition on, it doesnt really matter.
true... make sure the paperclip/wire is making a good connection with the plug... that happened to me once... the paper clip just wasn't in all the way and touching the leads.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (SpoolnG2)

yeah, that is normal when u are checking a code. if there are no codes, the light will just stay solidly lit. it doesn't mean your ecu is messed up. your all good.
No blinking = no codes.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:30 AM

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered! (98CTRCoupe)

ok, i managed to pull 2 codes....
when the engine is off, but ignition ON, the car dosnt throw a CEL, and i guess the ecu just isnt remembering or something, so thats why i was getting the solid light, cuz it didnt know it was screwing up yet...

i turned the engine on, and boom, i got my check engine light, i put the jumper in with the engine running, and it flashed 36 and 41.

41 is for the o2 sensor heater, and i know what i need to do to fix that, but 36!?! wtf is 36 for!

i didnt see anything for a code 36, and i have confirmed 36 like 12 times already, cuz i was sure i was reading it wrong....but sure enough, 3 hard long blink and 6 quick, long pause, then 4 hard long blinks and 1 quick. = 36 and 41

Old 12-27-2022, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered!

Ok so I'm having same problem and used to be able to remove battery cable and reset and it would only come on when it was raining because my windsheild has small leak but now it won't go off....but when the check engine light is on it won't rev past 3k when switching gears. if you try to it just bounces like a rev limiter...I have a 94 Honda civic hatch with D16z6 swap turboed......I don't know what to do because I can't get a code.....it's got new TPS and ignition system and all that.....can someone give me some things to try. What's crazy is I will leave battery cable off for hours then put back on and the check engine light stays on still......
Old 07-08-2023, 03:19 PM
Trial User

Default Re: solid check engine light with the service connector jumpered!

Originally Posted by barbiegirl7
Ok so I'm having same problem and used to be able to remove battery cable and reset and it would only come on when it was raining because my windsheild has small leak but now it won't go off....but when the check engine light is on it won't rev past 3k when switching gears. if you try to it just bounces like a rev limiter...I have a 94 Honda civic hatch with D16z6 swap turboed......I don't know what to do because I can't get a code.....it's got new TPS and ignition system and all that.....can someone give me some things to try. What's crazy is I will leave battery cable off for hours then put back on and the check engine light stays on still......
hello i got a same problem as yours, so do you have any update on what is the problem? Thanks