sohc turbo...wasting time???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc turbo...wasting time???

so im sick of my slo d15 and want to go faster but want to stay with the d15 cuz i dont want to go thru the headache of swaping my car again and also want to do something kinda differnet. and i was reading rsxtinas post about her hatch and there thinking about putting a sohc turbo in hers and i thought that it sounds fun so i got on ebay and this is what i found. does anybody have any experince with these kits or should i stay way. and i you do have experince just how "bolt on" are they. thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 AM

Those kits are low quality, The big problem is the turbo will not last. The other problem is that some people have problems with those headers cracking. A better bet is to go check out homemade turbo (google it) there are lots of guys that use HF or STD factory manifolds (Can be puchased cheep) and then use a turbo off of some factory car. A DSM perhaps...or any old T3 will work as well. Some of the knock off stuff on ebay is ok. Like the blow off valves and exhausts and stuff. Stay away from those deals on turbos that seem to good to be true
Old 04-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wildman117)

so do it like the budget boost that ssc did a while back??
Old 04-18-2006, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pynikal)

stay way from those!!!!

Do a piece together or like a greddy where it give you almost everything you need but the i/c and piping. Sohc's can be very reliable. Its all in the tune, and the parts you buy. You get what pay for. Thats the second most inportant thing to remeber if you go turbo on the D or any car really.

heres a link to sohc turbos with guys putting down alot of respectful number

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1360861

also try http://www.turbod16.com
Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the same exact kit i got
like everyone says low quality ive been thru 3 manifolds but every thing else has been fine for bout a year
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 AM

almost everyone on this site will tell you tostay away from SSautochrome. There are a lot of people that have had crappy manifolds. Their manifold seems like it's the cause of most SSAC problems. I would stay away from them.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I go to power mine I'm going N/A (swap tho..)...turbo seems too.....iono, too extensive, oppose to just a swap to a faster engine with bolt ons which seems cleaner (tighter package if that makes any sense)

I would stay away from ebay for turbo setups, especially since u can usually pick one up on ebay that HAS piping (this one doesn't) for the same price.....

But as most everybody already said, it's better and cheaper to piece together your own, of course u can buy ur own 3k name brand turbo, but u can still piece together a decent turbo system for like 6 - 8 hundred with GOOD parts that won't fall apart if you just hunt around :-\
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

so the manis are junk?? what if i get the kit and get a better mani?? will that work

Modified by pynikal at 11:22 AM 4/18/2006
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (pynikal)

never buy ssautocrap, check some past posts on how stuff just breaks witin 6 months

*edit*

That manifold is ssauto too, just stay off of ebay for the most part
Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (flatblkCR-X)

were would be a good place to get a complete kit like this?
Old 04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: NOVA, but OC MD for the summers, 10th St., Tyson R.I.P, USA

XS Power is the same as SSAC. Both are junk.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pynikal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the manis are junk?? what if i get the kit and get a better mani?? will that work

Modified by pynikal at 11:22 AM 4/18/2006</TD></TR></TABLE> those are the same *************, stay away from ssac and xspower ****. the quality of the manifolds is ****, not to be confused with "the ****" which would imply that they are good. as far as manifolds go, I would just use a log manifold you wont have to worry about that breaking on you.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoonspeed)

just swap man it's not that hard.. only takes a good day if ur new to it.. i did my swap for the first time 3 weeks ago.. pretty easy i thought
Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I go to power mine I'm going N/A (swap tho..)...turbo seems too.....iono, too extensive, oppose to just a swap to a faster engine with bolt ons which seems cleaner (tighter package if that makes any sense)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo to expensive?? How do you consider yourself NA with bolt ons?? I dunno what swap i could preform that will give my 265 whp for $1600. When you find it let me know.

to the op, if your looking for an increase in power, and on a budget, boost the d.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (flatblkCR-X)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flatblkCR-X &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That manifold is ssauto too, just stay off of ebay for the most part</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you know enough, that you dont need to post these ?s.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (Hondaciv95VX)

you dont need to respond...***
Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stop being poor and buy quality parts. If you're unable to afford quality parts then buy shity ones and watch them break..... simple

If you want to go faster, but don't have the money for a good kit or the parts/knowledge to piece one together yourself... then you're **** outa luck
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (4rc-fed)

why all the haters on here just wanted to know if this was a good kit its not that im cheap its called maybe saving some money for other mods. if i have to spend a lot on a turbo so be it . im gonna start calling this hater-tech....****.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:37 AM
official honda whore

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pynikal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why all the haters on here just wanted to know if this was a good kit its not that im cheap its called maybe saving some money for other mods. if i have to spend a lot on a turbo so be it . im gonna start calling this hater-tech....****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

get used to hater-tech lol it has been and will always be like this, and they are acting like haters because there are a million posts that explain how much a piece of **** the manifolds and turbos are

if you want something bolt on just get a greddy kit, its a perfect starters turbo kit and can be picked up fairly cheap
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo...wasting time??? (coptzer)

thank you. and also thank you to all who had positive things to say. to the others im sorry for you.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tuned several of these "garbage" SOHC kits in the past 2 months. None have broken, yet. All the manifolds were re-welded with additional bracing. Additional bracing was added to secure the downpipe to the block better. The turbocharger was nothing to write home about - the .63AR T3/T04 unit supplied was a little laggy for my tastes for the SOHC considering the limited rev range. XPower/SSAC garbage is indeed cheap parts - no argument. You will make more power with other kits - no argument. I do believe at this point that with minor welding to their manifolds, they are at least serviceable.

Use it then knock it, resist the hype.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blundar)

im keeping all my avenues open. thanks for the info
Old 04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't afford a new setup (new pieces or new complete kit) just browse the classifieds for a used kit. Many sell for under $1k and include just about everything.

I would swap out the D15 in favor of a D16 (d16 is stronger).

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

ill check that out.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:09 PM

If you're looking for a "starter kit" and don't have a lot of money right now I'd look into finding a used SOHC kit, most preferably a GReddy kit.

I think those are about as bolt-on as you can get and they come with everything you need to run 8psi.

I'm personally running a small turbo on 15psi, running 13.7 w/ a bad clutch and street tires, stock D16Z6.

Quick Reply: sohc turbo...wasting time???