Notices

SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo.....

i have a d16y7 in my car right now. im thinking of putting a greddy turbo kit on it but i've always wanted a dohc motor in my car. do you guys think it would be better to start out with a b18b ls motor than my sohc??
let me know what you guys think and which one is more reliable for daily driving at relative low boost.

thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (jdmstreethatch)

yea b18 would be more power.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (InTeGrA B18b1)

I heard the ls makes pretty good power stock, and have very strong blocks. Go with the Ls. i say u have more potential there, don't get me wrong a boosted D series can make serious Powa. O by the way, nice avatar!
Old 01-23-2004, 04:23 PM
aka010010

i want an ls now. i have a d16y8 and it makes only 200whp power. lil motor who could and did, but now its time for a change.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ive rode in both and the ls turbo seemed faster. is $2,200 plus shipping from honda motors online too much?? at least if i ordered from them i would know the motor is in good shape.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (jdmstreethatch)

The B18B makes more low end power to start and that really helps in how smooth the car feels. When I had my 97 EX Civic I used to love driving my buddies 91 LS.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

used greddy kit - 900
FMIC - 200-300
hondata 2b setup, used - 700-800
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free
=200-220whp on stock internals for $2,300 max (JUST the cost of the bone stock LS motor)

-------

LS motor - 2,200
used turbo setup (you pick) - 1700-2200 (rough guess)
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free
= 250-300whp on stock internals for $5,500 max

Keep it in perspective. If that extra 50whp of capability is worth double the price, then by all means go LS turbo.

Sure it's got more potential, but honestly...how many of you guys are actually GOING for 300-500whp?

I wouldn't be surprised that if EVERY H-T FI member was handed a 220whp SOHC turbo to drive for a day, at least 75-80% of them would come back and say that that's enough power for their needs. I honestly believe that. Don't get a DOHC "just cuz". , useable horsepower OWNZ and you can get more than what you need for the street(IN MOST CASES) with a SOHC IMHO
Old 01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">used greddy kit - 900
FMIC - 200-300
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free
=200-220whp on stock internals for $2,300 max (JUST the cost of the bone stock LS motor)

-------

LS motor - 2,200
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free

Keep it in perspective. If that extra 50whp of capability is worth double the price, then by all means go LS turbo.

Sure it's got more potential, but honestly...how many of you guys are actually GOING for 300-500whp?

I wouldn't be surprised that if EVERY H-T FI member was handed a 220whp SOHC turbo to drive for a day, at least 75-80% of them would come back and say that that's enough power for their needs. I honestly believe that. Don't get a DOHC "just cuz". , useable horsepower OWNZ and you can get more than what you need for the street(IN MOST CASES) with a SOHC IMHO </TD></TR></TABLE>

good answer...

the LS are actually cheaper than that, go to http://www.junkyarddog.com good prices!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

(IN MOST CASES) with a SOHC IMHO </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not, I'm looking for something more in the 650 hp range...

honestly, my LS turbo pus down around 400 hp, and it's my daily driver...it's kinda tempermental, but I think its worth it...
Old 01-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (mildly interesting)

it all depends on how far you want to go with the goal, what are your goals with the car?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go with the LS Turbo better setup because-
a. more power potential
b. You could be makin more power with the LS at the same psi. And the LS would handle it like killin ants with a sludge hammer.
c. See A.
d. If not satisfied start with "a." and repeat as necessary
Old 01-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not experienced personally, so I can't go telling you what you should do.

And you should really only take two opinions in consideration:

A) Those who have DONE IT.. not those who THINK.

B) Your own goals, like the other guy said.

A sohc is going to be mad cheap..and after reading for three straight hours, about all of these SOHC Turbos, I believe one person (Boostedeh9?) is putting down 300+ with just the AFC hack.

Now that's some serious goodness.

I'm going with SOHC and putting the extra money into getting stronger rods and pistons for more psi.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: (Dream)

I prefer the D16 its a fun motor, everyday i drive it its like im reliving the story book the little engine that could.... and i agree a 200-250whp street d16 can be pretty crazy....We all have our preferences just decide what "you" want not cause it worked for someone else cause 10:1 one persons setup isnt going to work for you the same as it did for them....just research, pick a good combination of parts and your on yur way (just keep the idea of big is better outta yur head)

Im going for 300+ on my D16...were roughly at 250ish (give or take) with 10psi and have a good feeling 300ish can be obtained with about 15-18psi and a couple new parts
Old 01-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (jdmstreethatch)

full b18b swap can be found for reletively cheap and it will have much more potential than the sohc.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (-iLLuZioN-B18C1)

Anyone who pays $2200 for an LS motor needs their head examined! I am happy with my LS turbo numbers!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (RedTegLS)

Sup, I own an LS turbo and do all the tuning on a D16Z6 turbo that belongs to a friend.

Frankly, I like the D-series engines. A lot. I daresay they are almost as robust as an LS, when tuned right, they just get a bad rap because every kid without a clue can afford one and blows it up. Atlee's Z6 has been running at 7-12 psi of boost every day, as a daily driver, with a 19 y/old owner who flogs on it properly. Engine doesn't even use any oil, compression is perfect, and it makes good power consistenly and reliably.

What I don't like are D-series transmissions. Between flimsy shift forks and inadequate differentials and differential bearings, I cast my vote for B-series. My decision has absolutely nothing to do with the D-series engine itself, which is fine, or divorced-from-reality B-series or DOHC VTEC bigotry.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:48 PM

I guess i'm one of those people who sorta "HAVE DONE" it.
I kinda having second thought about slapping that turbo on to my LS-crx. Reason being I never thought how fast the car already was. I bought the car with the LS, during the wait to drive the car home, I went ahead and got a kit. First time driving it, it scared me, granted the motor was stock. The seconday I brought it home, i already beat my friends's GSR with CAI-E-H. And on the third day, which is two weeks ago, the turbo process began. I'm not done with the process yet, but i know for sure it will be one fast sob. In another word, LS definitely got my vote. I would even take it over any b16.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo..... (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What I don't like are D-series transmissions. Between flimsy shift forks and inadequate differentials and differential bearings, I cast my vote for B-series. My decision has absolutely nothing to do with the D-series engine itself, which is fine, or divorced-from-reality B-series or DOHC VTEC bigotry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree and can totally attest to the d-series being weaker (tranny-wise), my b20vtec tranny with my act-6 puck unsprung disc clutch just took the abuse day in and day out, and my d16y8 3rd and 2nd grind just from beating on the motor STOCK...i can only imagine what my turbo is gunna do to that poor thing hahaha

mike
Old 01-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">used greddy kit - 900
FMIC - 200-300
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free

-------

LS motor - 2,200
ACT clutch - 300
open downpipe - free

I wouldn't be surprised that if EVERY H-T FI member was handed a 220whp SOHC turbo to drive for a day, at least 75-80% of them would come back and say that that's enough power for their needs. I honestly believe that. Don't get a DOHC "just cuz". , useable horsepower OWNZ and you can get more than what you need for the street(IN MOST CASES) with a SOHC IMHO </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or instead of spending the $2200 on the LS motor move that budget up to the SOHC and add some forged rods and pistons for LESS. Now you've got something.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbokitssuck)

sohc has my vote if you turbo it and it blows up or what not you can get a new one for under 400$ and a tranny for under 200 try that with a b series. i think its great that all these people are into b series and dont like the d series anymore thats just cheaper and more availabilty of parts for me and other d series conasaurs
Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spun Vtec)

LS and what's up with all these SOHC VS LS questions? I see 'em pop up often. Use the search
Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spun Vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spun Vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sohc has my vote if you turbo it and it blows up or what not you can get a new one for under 400$ and a tranny for under 200 try that with a b series. i think its great that all these people are into b series and dont like the d series anymore thats just cheaper and more availabilty of parts for me and other d series conasaurs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try $250-350 from the yard, and we can't find 4G Si gearboxes locally anymore... with how many Atlee has shitcanned, I'd guess he used up the supply, eh? DX boxes have that worthless tall 3rd gear that sort of kills things off, so that option is out. And FYI, I've been picking up wrecked Integras with good to fair to poor drivetrains for $200-700 for a number of years now. I have an easier time finding LS gearboxes, and at much cheaper prices, possibly because they don't blow up at the power levels where things start getting interesting.

I'm NOT trying to say B-series engines are better than D-series in a streetcar application, especially where you already own a perfectly good D-series. I'm just saying that B-series transmissions own D-series ones any day of the week, even ones that are only half fulled with dirty 10W30 and grind third gear. Also, since LS's don't come attached to anything VTEC, their prices are pretty cheap.

Keep your B-series hate directed towards the DOHC VTEC idiots who've earned it... trust me, I'm on your side, and so are most LS owners.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try $250-350 from the yard, and we can't find 4G Si gearboxes locally anymore... with how many Atlee has shitcanned, I'd guess he used up the supply, eh? DX boxes have that worthless tall 3rd gear that sort of kills things off, so that option is out. And FYI, I've been picking up wrecked Integras with good to fair to poor drivetrains for $200-700 for a number of years now. I have an easier time finding LS gearboxes, and at much cheaper prices, possibly because they don't blow up at the power levels where things start getting interesting.

I'm NOT trying to say B-series engines are better than D-series in a streetcar application, especially where you already own a perfectly good D-series. I'm just saying that B-series transmissions own D-series ones any day of the week, even ones that are only half fulled with dirty 10W30 and grind third gear. Also, since LS's don't come attached to anything VTEC, their prices are pretty cheap.

Keep your B-series hate directed towards the DOHC VTEC idiots who've earned it... trust me, I'm on your side, and so are most LS owners. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your on the rock ive bought 3 motors and have never paid more than 200$ my last motor i paid 200$ for complete motor tranny and ecu d16a6. and that tall 3rd gear your talking about i acually have a dx tranny in my sohc turbo hatch and the tall gear is better because you dont loose your boost buildup on the shift to forth. ive gotten 2 d16a6 tranny's for my all motor hatch for 100$. and they are not hard to find if you know where to look.
Keep your B-series hate directed towards the DOHC VTEC idiots who've earned it... trust me, I'm on your side, and so are most LS owners. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No one is hateing they are just stateing there opinoin.

oh yeah and we forgot to mention how funny the look on people's face is when you tell them you have a sohc after you just spanked their all motor b series that has far more money into it than your sohc.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:17 PM

2200 for a ls motor is nuts. i can get a h22, tranny, and ecu for 2200. i wouldn't pay over 1300.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i started off with 210whp...and after driving with that much power for a month...i knew i needed more. it's boost...it's like crack...almost

Quick Reply: SOHC Turbo vs LS Turbo.....