Notices

Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup

K well as this being my first post go easy on me pls. Im very very new to this turbo concept and like a fool I rushed into thing's way to fast. K well I have a turbo sohc coupe, I bought the turbo and engine from a kid I knew, Setup is as follows
td04 15g
greddy mani
greddy dp
Trust small fmic
apexi twin chamber bov
Mild port and polish
3 angle valve job
missing link
str cam gear
aem pulley
jg street grind cam
vortech rising rate fpr
b&m fpr
00 civic si ecu
stock exhaust
removed ac along with ps (need to remove aem pulley)
K well this is my problem. The car is fine no smoke or oil anywhere and idles around 700rpm (normal?) When I get on it boost starts to build around 2k-3k rpm's
but I dont reach full boost till 5,500 rpm's and it sucks especially since the only + of the small 15g is the spool up time, I know that the stock exhaust doesnt help but still i'm preety sure I should be reaching full boost alot sooner and I keep hearing people reaching full boost around 3k rpm with the 15g, I'm starting to think that it's the damn si ecu and the jg cam (to much overlap?) I know it's not the turbo cam so I'm preety sure it's only hurting performance. Also I forgot to add I dont have neither o2 sensor hooked up and my CEL is on constantly. Maybe it's runing in limp mode? I also forgot to add when the boost is about to kick in it pauses like a second and then boost, I dont know whats going on but Im sure I need some help so if you guy's would be kind enough to offer some advice pls do so. THXS
Old 04-19-2002, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup (TurboSohc)

personally, i'd get that o2 sensor back in and fix that CEL. work your way from there...

fyi, in the past i fried one of my o2 sensors from too much nos and my fuel economy went to ****. probably did other stuff i didnt notice.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup (sushibug)

Well, if you wrap the O2 sensor in aluminum foil the CEL will go away, but it will still not run correctly. You need to take care of that ASAP.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:08 AM

So you guy's are starting to think the "main" reason behind all this might be due to the o2 sensors not being hooked up and the cel. How do you feel about using the si ecu. I think someone told me that it retards timing when boost kicks in. Thxs for the help guys keep it coming.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:14 AM

if the ecu reads boost it will go into limp mode and throw a CEL. i'm not exactly what limp mode consists of but i wouldn't be surprised if it included retarding the timing. the missing link check valve you have is supposed to prevent the ecu from seeing boost. and btw, i think vtc_civic ran around w/ a stock exhaust for a long time, it shouldnt be spooling at 5k even with it.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup (sushibug)

Well if you're asking why the turbo isn't spooling quicker, then it has nothing to do with the O2 sensor. It's your exahust that is choking the turbo. When I had the stock GReddy DP, stock cat and stock Si catback, I wasn't spooling till like 3k in 3rd and not hitting full boost (10psi) till like 5.5k rpm. Open up the exahust and you'll be amazed!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:36 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup (VTC_CiViC)

Well if you're asking why the turbo isn't spooling quicker, then it has nothing to do with the O2 sensor. It's your exahust that is choking the turbo. When I had the stock GReddy DP, stock cat and stock Si catback, I wasn't spooling till like 3k in 3rd and not hitting full boost (10psi) till like 5.5k rpm. Open up the exahust and you'll be amazed!
Yeah, what he said.

O2 sensor CEL shouldn't throw you into limp mode. Typically, it will just run rich in closed loop. Remember, O2 values get thown out the window at WOT (open loop). I was getting a MAP CEL while boosting and was still reaching full boost by 3500rpms. And a MAP code will definitely cause limp mode. Hehe, limp mode
Old 04-19-2002, 10:45 AM
New User

Default Re: Sohc Greddy turbo questions on my setup (VTC_CiViC)

*nod* try unbolting your exhaust and give it a rip. Or remove your downpipe and wear earplugs. Or give them out to your neighbors.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:08 PM

thxs for all the advice guys. First thing first me being the retard i'am, I need to buy a few guages. Then I will hook my o2 sensors up hopefully and change out this damn si secu. Speaking of exhaust I was think Apexi Dunk or N1 turbo muffler along with 3" pipeing. Hopefully this will help the spool up a great deal. Anyone know how much steel mandrel bent pipeing runs? Thxs for all the help guys