Notices

So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup

I know there's a lot of people here using the ems but I have'nt seen anyone making good power with it. I'm debating on what should I get, Hondata or ems. I know I seen a lots of people here made very high HP as high as 550 to 600 HP with using Hondata. Please post anyone with ems what kind of HP you're putting out. Thanks .
Old 01-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (boostedb20vtec)

Rafy(sp) made over 600whp on his. DRT. Can I say how much Supras are making?

art
Old 01-30-2003, 09:49 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (Arturbo)

to be honest the only poeple that i have heard of that are really happy with the ems are the supra boys. me personally, if you are only looking to touch the tip of 600 or less i would run hondata hands down. less complicated system overall.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (MotorMatrix.com)

I agree with you on that. Some people buying EMS because of its features and the auto tune with techedge wb, but they are not making good power at all. I have to see to be convinced that EMS is the way to go. But so far, I'm not.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:21 PM

i would honestly consider who is tuning on the ems b4 making that decision..
there are alot of ins and outs of the ems system ...if your in the Socal are i would definetly recomend R&D in gardena ..Darren knows his shi@#$@ you wont be disapointed ..
Old 02-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (RevhardEG)

anyone else here think that ems is not for everyone?
Old 02-04-2003, 10:04 PM

i think its all in the tuner of any system

the hondata is good but the aem is the same price and has more features.

i went with aem becasue my tuner help test it out and he said it was well worth it

my serial number on my unit is 99

but 306whp at 12psi on a stock seeved 9:1 is pretty good

plan on uping the boost this year with some 720cc injectors and going for 400whp
Old 02-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (slowsi00)

I'm not too sure if your stock sleeves going to handle more boost more than 15 psi. It'll probably crack. IMO.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was putting out a little over 300 with my AEM EMS with stock sleeves, at 14 psi. I had JE pistions, crower rods, and a block guard. I cracked a sleeve needless to say. It was tuned at DRT.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:13 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

anyone else here think that ems is not for everyone?
i dont think the ems is for everyone. motormatrix is right. hondata is better for the average user. not always cheaper, but less complicated indeed.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:14 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (underpressure (wtbimport))

I was putting out a little over 300 with my AEM EMS with stock sleeves, at 14 psi. I had JE pistions, crower rods, and a block guard. I cracked a sleeve needless to say. It was tuned at DRT.
i'd love to see your timing map. i bet it was too agressive.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (Scheisskopf)

Yah to crack a sleeve at 14lbs there is a serious issue. I run 1 bar daily hard no problems knock on wood. And I have had it up to 1.3 bar no problem
Old 02-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (Elite Hatch)

Some people buying EMS because of its features and the auto tune with techedge wb, but they are not making good power at all. I have to see to be convinced that EMS is the way to go. But so far, I'm not.
I don't understand...What does this mean?

Are you saying that an engine management system as sophisticated as the EMS is limiting horsepower?

Have you, personally, ever used an EMS?

[Modified by quick108, 10:57 AM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whilest I have "messed" around with an AEM EMS and have seen the potential. I would say it could be worse than a crappy FMU setup if you REALLY don't know how to tune, but the same goes with a hondata. Overall EMS to ME has biggest potential.

mike
Old 02-05-2003, 10:35 AM
What is this crap?

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (MikeMAN)

I would say it could be worse than a crappy FMU setup if you REALLY don't know how to tune, but the same goes with a hondata.
yes you can cause the same kind of damage (fatal) to your motor with a standalone if you dont know what you're doing.

There have been some isolated cases of DSMs having tuning issues with AEM EMS but the problem was with the user and the firmware version they were using. Supras are over 1000hp on single turbo with nitrous or methanol type systems.

There was that guy with a 320hp greddy setup at 12psi with the ems. thats pretty impressive to me.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that is the same thing Geoff told me.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im planning on 350-400 street driven whp. More if I can afford dyno time with 110 and n20 for track use. I will definately keep you all posted...
Old 02-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (quick108)

Are you saying that an engine management system as sophisticated as the EMS is limiting horsepower?

Have you, personally, ever used an EMS?
================================
Well, I'm not saying that is limiting HP, What I'm saying is this thing is been around for quite sometime now and I have not seen anyone making good HP with it specially in honda applications. Maybe in supra's and DSM"s, it works for them.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And no, I have not used the EMS yet. I'm thinking of getting one but now I"m cautious about having one ti'l I see more people here making 500 or so WHP. I've seen hondata users done that, maybe more.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:09 AM
ImportReview

The EMS and the Hondata do similar things.

They both make your A/F ratio what you want and they both change timing by the slightest degree.

Its a matter of which system your tuner can use. More people can use Hondata, and its cheaper in most cases. A well engineered marvel.

Also, the EMS will fade away fast once the I-VTEC motors start to get built and turbo'd.

Somebody would be pretty desperate to use that on the I-VTEC.

That issue will come up when somebody who doesn't know anything about I-VTEC starts bragging about the EMS he just bought for it.

Then I will tell him the real bad news.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2003, 04:13 AM

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (ImportReview)

I had the EMS, and I was impressed at first with all the parameters and so forth. Although alot of that caused problems more than anything. I couldn't get my car to idle decently at all. AEM say's because I run a GM 3 bar and I should switch to there 3.5 bar since it's more accurate. Tht just didn't sound right to me so I switched over to Accell DFI Gen 7, with the same 3 bar map sensor, and it runs great. EMS has too much stuff to mess with. I recieved it exactly one week before World Import Challenge in Houston (the rescheduled date), so I have had it for quite some time. I just wish I would of switched over to DFI long ago. Now the car runs like stock.
Also about the Supra's with the EMS, I heard that the EMS was designed on a Supra, ??????
I don't know. I'm not trying to knock the system, although I will honestly say that it was the worst investment I have ever made. AEM released a product that was not ready to be put out on the market and people like me suffered. Like everyone else has said, I am also waiting to see some big numbers from the EMS.
Also, to anyone using it, did they ever fix the Accell/Decel functions? Thy said that was the reason why my gas mileage sucked!
Never the less I hope AEM will benefit someone. As for now I would recommened what works and works great, Hondata, Speed Pro, and Accell DFI. These are all systems that friends of mine drive around with here in Houston. They all told me back then to go with Speed Pro like they did,...........I just wanted to be different .
Old 02-06-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (turbo Si)

My car runs really decent on the AEM EMS for being tuned by a non-tuner. It was just tuned so I can drive it around, waiting for dyno time. Anyways, the car runs really smooth, only problem is the high idle. about 1800. Gas mileage sucks, but who wouldn't have guessed that. Im hoping to make 450-500whp on the EMS, dyno within a few weeks, will let you all know !
Old 02-06-2003, 05:51 AM

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (C-Redrum)

I have the AEM EMS and they don't limit power, it's all in the tuner and unfortunately with the lack of experience out there with this system it'll take a while to do. AEM's autotune feature is one of the main reasons I went with this over the Hondata.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:02 AM

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (Mikeyslude)

I have the AEM EMS and they don't limit power, it's all in the tuner and unfortunately with the lack of experience out there with this system it'll take a while to do. AEM's autotune feature is one of the main reasons I went with this over the Hondata.
Thing of it is with the new romemulator that hondata has out I hear that autotune on hondata is not that far off. Makes the decsion just that much harder. I know I am in the not sure which system to use boat as well. More and more I am leaning toward hondata just because some many know the ins and outs of it and I have to drive pretty damn far for a decent tunner.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup (KCHybrid)

Also about the Supra's with the EMS, I heard that the EMS was designed on a Supra, ??????
I don't understand. What does this mean?

EFI is not rocket science. Take the time to read the instructional manual yourself. Anyone with brains can tune any EFI system.

Quick Reply: So, Who's got the most HP from there AEM EMS setup