Notices

Smoking problem 'not constantly'

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking problem 'not constantly'

Ok guys first turbo build and its getting me a headache.
Here's my setup.
Everything brand new 30 miles the most.
B18c stock sleeves with eagle rods,cp piston 81.5
Port head stock cams,cam gear,jun spring retainer,jg manifold.stock throttle body
Spoolin performance kit,log manifold,2.5 dp open 2.5 ic pipes and good size ic
garrett gt28rs,tial 38 wg.tial 50mm bov
Hondata s200 boost
rc 750
walboro 225
clucth master fx500

Ok my build was done two weeks ago.Last week I took it in for tuning and after 5 runs on 12 lbs it made only 266 and 200 lbs torque.Tuning session had to stop because of oil leak coming from the timing belt side.Brought it back home change the cam seals done.But I notice on the last run it was smoking from the dp great amount.Tuner said it's because oil got on the dp,I mean it was leaking a great amount from the cam seal so I probably though so too.Fix it test drove it seems fine idles great no lag nothing.Now the only thing I notice was smoking from the tail pipe not constantly it did it when ever it wants to usually not when I'm puching it but driving normal it could be when I give it gas and sometime letting off throttle a great chunck would come out and go back to normal.So open the charged pipe,clean turbo manifold,turbo no sign of oil leak from there.And so I check the spark plugs it was black not wet though and then I shine the light into all cylinder wet on all on top of the piston oil wet.Now two thing that I can think of valve seal but would they go bad all at the same time?2nd piston ring but wouldn't it smoke all the time even at idle or start up would be hard?So I'm gonna start by checking manifold vaccum and compression check then I'll give you guys a update.I just want a heads up to see if you guys ran through this problem before.thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking problem 'not constantly'

U sure it has oil on top of the pistons? If its smoking at different times then its gonna be hard to diagnose. If it got on the exhaust then make sure you clean everything off real good, and then make sure there is no more leaking going on. Then test drive and see what happens.

What kind of catch-can setup you running? Any?
Old 05-12-2009, 09:41 PM

When I got home from the tuner I fix the leak already and clean everything up.And yes there's oil on top of the piston I can see it.NO catch can running yet.just open pcv.
Update I did a compression test and all cylinder came up 175-180 but doesnt hold the pressure it drops slow but drop back all the way.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Any one? 44 views never ran into this problem.I just wanna pinpoint if it's the valve seals or the rings before I start taking it apart.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM

i have same issue haven't been able to figure out yet.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 PM

90 view,anyone could it be that I'm not running a catchcan setup.or pcv clog up.Here's one thing I found out today that the breather on the valve cover is sucking in air like crazy.Isn't it suppose to spit out instead of sucking air?Or pcv clog too much pressure so oils going through the rings?like I said I can see wet oil on top of all four pistons.Test drove today,and change the pvc valve,no smoke wot and deceleration.Plus after I changed the pcv I notice the breather wasn't sucking in air anymore,its back to normal like a little puff puff.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a head gasket. if you fail a leak down. and you are burning oil somewere it could be the rings but most likely a head gasket especially on boost.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by supra-n-civic
sounds like a head gasket. if you fail a leak down. and you are burning oil somewere it could be the rings but most likely a head gasket especially on boost.
But if a head gasket wouldn't iol be mix with water? Ring problem wouldn't it smoke all the time especially at wot and deceleration?
Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by garyherr
But if a head gasket wouldn't iol be mix with water? Ring problem wouldn't it smoke all the time especially at wot and deceleration?
iam having the same issue, i replaced my head gasket and seals, right now iam looking at replacing my valve seals
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys first turbo build and its getting me a headache.
Here's my setup.
Everything brand new 30 miles the most.
B18c stock sleeves with eagle rods,cp piston 81.5
Port head stock cams,cam gear,jun spring retainer,jg manifold.stock throttle body
Spoolin performance kit,log manifold,2.5 dp open 2.5 ic pipes and good size ic
garrett gt28rs,tial 38 wg.tial 50mm bov
Hondata s200 boost
rc 750
walboro 225
clucth master fx500

Ok my build was done two weeks ago.Last week I took it in for tuning and after 5 runs on 12 lbs it made only 266 and 200 lbs torque.Tuning session had to stop because of oil leak coming from the timing belt side.Brought it back home change the cam seals done.But I notice on the last run it was smoking from the dp great amount.Tuner said it's because oil got on the dp,I mean it was leaking a great amount from the cam seal so I probably though so too.Fix it test drove it seems fine idles great no lag nothing.Now the only thing I notice was smoking from the tail pipe not constantly it did it when ever it wants to usually not when I'm puching it but driving normal it could be when I give it gas and sometime letting off throttle a great chunck would come out and go back to normal.So open the charged pipe,clean turbo manifold,turbo no sign of oil leak from there.And so I check the spark plugs it was black not wet though and then I shine the light into all cylinder wet on all on top of the piston oil wet.Now two thing that I can think of valve seal but would they go bad all at the same time?2nd piston ring but wouldn't it smoke all the time even at idle or start up would be hard?So I'm gonna start by checking manifold vaccum and compression check then I'll give you guys a update.I just want a heads up to see if you guys ran through this problem before.thanks

Anyone got a solid answer for this issue??
Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same issue wit my old setup. for me it was my turbo seals. it coated the intake all the way through wit a good amount of oil. nd every once in a while it would reach the manifold nd get burnt. but dnt rule out anythin until u test it. comp. test nd leakdown to rule out rings nd headgasket. could possibly b valve seals or guides. rule out everythin u can b4 u throw parts at it