Notices

...SMC... Wow...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...SMC... Wow...

Whelp, it's finally done. I just got back from the gas station, and boy am I impressed.

I am going from the infamous FMU setup to this DSM 450cc/SMC setup. I had originally planned to go DSM 450cc/SAFC, but $$$ held that idea down.

First off, I started w/ the injectors. I ripped my old ones out, and man were they nasty. Stuck in the 450's and got ready to press... I didn't waste my time with the dremel, it's time to tighten. Got all 4 in and clipped. Seated them, and went away at the 10mm nuts. Got one side on, and went for the other. Got it on, and went for the middle...Tighter, tighter, tighter, BAM....That's a pretty nice stud I have in my hand now. NOTE TO SELF-Do not overtorque.

So I'm down to 2 studs/nuts holding my injectors in. It's okay though.

Lets move on to the SMC install. Piece of cake. I couldn't get the wiring diagram for the PG7 in time, so I tapped in to the MAP sensor right on the firewall. A couple cm's of shrink wrap and electrical tape later, and I'm set. Gator clipped the white wire to my tach wire coming off my dizzy...Mistake...I'll cover that in a minute. Power to the black/yellow on the ECU, and grounded it. Green left hangin.

Everything done, and I go to start her... I get her going, but she's dyin quick. Quick check of the ECU, and I'm throwing code 15..Hrmmm, wtf is that going off for? No clue, so I reset the ECU, and adjust the idle to ~-30%. Start her up, and give her gas... No CEL, but she's still chokin. My tach is going crazy at this point and I realize that the SMC can't read which RPM range I'm in so it's dumping way too much fuel, way to little, way too much, way to little..etc.

I take the white wire off the dizzy tap, and tap it in to my MSD 6A. Start her up, and smooth as a babies bottom. Idles perfectly, and not very choppy. Head out my yard, and take it easy for a few mins. Vac/Boost transition is SMOOTH. Screw check valves/FMU, I'll never go back.

I opened her up on the way to the gas station.. Rich the entire way, no leaning whatsoever, even at 7-8psi in 3rd. I'll adjust that down a little bit in a while, but for now I'm really happy. I should have replaced the orings that came on my injectors, cuz one is leaking a little bit giving a couple of drops on my nice warm intake mani runners.

This thing is awesome. I am very impressed so far, and after a few hours of tuning it's going to be great. Tuning is incredibly easy. It can be done w/ the car running, and is a simple turn of a **** and hitting the program button. Vac/Boost transition is smooth, and it keeps the 450cc's in check. W/ the FMU, I would drop off @ ~5500. I would go WAY too rich, and could find deposits on my muffler of gas blowing out the back; NOT NOW. It pulls until I shift (Usually ~6750 or 7k), and doesn't let off whatsoever.

Zip, you are the man. Thank you for offering this product in replacement of the SAFC. It may not have a pretty face and cool buttons, but this product gets the job done; and at a price everyone can afford.

SMC=

jB

Old 10-11-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (PelowisheshewascoolTudo)

so its easy to wire up? and works well? glad i went with this. cant afford hondata and this seems sweet. im curious if i would be able to wire it up and use with my stock injectors, and then just put my 450s in when i start to boost. excellent. someone said it would be choppy coming out of boost into vacuum, how is that transition?

how long did the install take? and where is a good place to tap in for the rpm without an aftermarket ignition?

[Modified by blufke, 8:23 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (blufke)

so its easy to wire up? and works well? glad i went with this. cant afford hondata and this seems sweet. im curious if i would be able to wire it up and use with my stock injectors, and then just put my 450s in when i start to boost. excellent. someone said it would be choppy coming out of boost into vacuum, how is that transition?
Yeah, wiring is easy. Just find which wires you need (MAP wire going to the ECU, and either the ICM or the blue dizzy wire (Or in my case, ended up using the MSD tach output)). As for the stock injectors, I am not sure. You could just set the SMC to 0's across the board and I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't done enough testing yet to notice the out of boost conditions. I tested the vac to boost, and it was smoother than my check valves/FMC. I'm going back out now to fix the leaky injector, and after that I'll see about the boost to vac.

I started the install about 12. Took about 2 hours (Including the damn injectors, along with having to rewire the stupid tach signal). I would just grab the signal coming straight off the dizzy (Blue wire). If I didn't have my 2 tachs tapped off it already, and/or if I had soldered it, it would have been fine; but I'm out of solder and too lazy to get some so I just stuck it to the MSD)
jB

[Modified by PelowisheshewascoolTudo, 3:26 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went back out and checked my ECU again. I'm still throwing code 15 for some reason. Can anyone help me w/ this?

15 - IGNITION OUTPUT SIGNAL

I have the SMC going straight in to my MSD 6A. My 2 tachs are going off the tach wire on the dizzy...

jB
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went back out; reset the ECU, and fired her up again. The code didn't come back, but I think I should have left well enough alone w/ the idle, cuz now the idle is missing. It was doing it before, but not as bad.

I also took her out to open her up again. 1-2-3 was good, until about 6k in 3rd. She started bucking like crazy. I don't know what it was, but she couldn't decide if she wanted to go or blow up. I shifted in to 4th, and it kept going until I let off the gas. I let off, then went back in to 3rd after slowing a little, and it was fine. I might need to adjust the level up there.

The 1 complaint I have, is that I am not sure EXACTLY where I am % wise. It has the scale from 0-55 (or 50, can't remember), but no numbers in between. So I'm ABOUT 35% right now...

jB
Old 10-11-2002, 12:17 PM

Very good info...thanks for the post .
Old 10-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (LSDelSol)

Thats really good to know. I am going to go this rout, so its awesome to see that it works good!

Any one else who installs it, let us know how it worked out.

Rob
Old 10-11-2002, 02:41 PM

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (rjardy)

umm decision time!!!

I think ill be picking one up this week!

Tyler
Old 10-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (ATgrills.com)

how much are they and where can I order one?
thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (touringteg)

there right under 100 dollars, awesome product for the money, i cant remember the url at the moment, i think its diablomotorsports or something like that. sorry

Rob
Old 10-11-2002, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a upgraded fuel pump?
What are u using to monitor your air/fuel ratio?
Old 10-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tighter, tighter, tighter, BAM....That's a pretty nice stud I have in my hand now. NOTE TO SELF-Do not overtorque.
bwahahahaha, oh wait... i did the same thing.
Old 10-11-2002, 06:37 PM

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (maztur)

Tighter, tighter, tighter, BAM....That's a pretty nice stud I have in my hand now. NOTE TO SELF-Do not overtorque.

bwahahahaha, oh wait... i did the same thing.
Ditto...
Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (rjardy)

http://www.diabloautosports.com/prod...oducts_id=2581
Old 10-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (Herminator)

Yeah. I got mine from Diablo. $110 w/ 2day air shipping. I am using the stock pump right now. I have a Walbro 255lph sitting on my desk waiting to go in as soon as I get off my lazy *** and drop the fuel tank. I'm using an Autometer A/F guage right now for street tuning. Doing in for dyno tuning in a week or so.

I messed w/ the idle adjustment, and it's a little rough right now; but nothing that an hour of sitting/testing/running wont fit.

jB

Oh, wow. They're $110 now, and on backorder. Zip, u better get yer *** workin. People want these things .

[Modified by PelowisheshewascoolTudo, 11:36 PM 10/11/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 09:41 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

I just got mine. Theres no instructions on obd-0 installation... what if I want to try it out on my older honda???

edit: Somebody emailed it to me... thanks somebody.

[Modified by mos, 12:22 PM 10/12/2002]
Old 10-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, wanna sell that Walbro back to me?
Old 10-12-2002, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

am using the stock pump right now. I have a Walbro 255lph sitting on my desk waiting to go in as soon as I get off my lazy *** and drop the fuel tank.
[Modified by PelowisheshewascoolTudo, 11:36 PM 10/11/2002]
ahhh. its nice not having to drop the fuel tank to change out my pump.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so did you find out what that green wire was for?
Old 10-12-2002, 01:25 AM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (lamchop0000)

so did you find out what that green wire was for?
The green wire is for factory boosted ECUs. It has no function for Honda applications, or any other naturally aspirated tuned ECU.
Old 10-12-2002, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (zip)

To bad the price went up more than what was said, supply and demand is a biatch!

Rob
Old 10-12-2002, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ...SMC... Wow... (mos)

Yeah. The green wire has no real function on our cars. It just sits to the side.

Jeff, if you want the pump; Yeah, I would be interested.

There's an updated form of the installation instructions, that gives PIN diagrams for all cars from 87+. I hosted it on my server if anyone wants it:

SMC Instructions v2.1 (125KB)

Jeff, gimme a call on my cell (352-223-4728).

Enjoy,

jB

[Modified by PelowisheshewascoolTudo, 9:03 AM 10/12/2002]
Old 10-12-2002, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awww; crap.

Went out this morning to start her up. Turned the key, and blipped the throttle so the injectors would jump in; and she died. CEL 15, again. Both of my tachs are going wacky again, and I can't figure it out. I can keep it going by feathering the throttle, but after about 10 sec it dies whether I want it to or not.

What would cause code 15 (Ignition Output Signal)? Is it the blue tach wire coming out of the dizzy? That's where I have my tach coming off of, and I think that's the source of my problems. Either that, or I ripped a wire loose on my ECU when I was down there. On top of that, my leaky #3 injector is back again (Didn't leak at all last night, and after I got the car warm yesterday CEL 15 never came back).

Any help?

jB
Old 10-12-2002, 03:38 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Try just running your stock tach? I don't know what kind of wiring you have going there. Keep us updated tho!

Quick Reply: ...SMC... Wow...