Notices

Sleeves locally made?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeves locally made?

Hi I from peru I wanna upgrade my block with some sleeves I friend how take his engine to a profesional race engine builder to make him a ls vtec told me that they put him some locally sleeves that cost $50 each, well he told me that this company is dedicated to make sleeves correct blocks heads and all kinda pieces for industrial machines like molds for pvc etc, etc, they guy from the shop told my friend that all the super 1600cc engines that he build uses this sleeves, they rev about 10500 and 220whp.
I was wondering If I should go with those sleeves or buy some from darton, la etc,
buy the way price are like that not for their quality, only cause here hand made work is cheap, the best hand made headers manifold exhaust line cost about $200- $250 each, building a race engine balancing crankshaft and all parts done by the best engine builder would go about $600- $800 for the hand work
Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uhhh real sleeves cost more than that..

go with some dartons or golden eagle sleeves.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeves locally made? (vtiperu)

that's pretty cheap for sleeves. I know there's a big money difference between U.S. and Peru, but that is so cheap. If I were you I'd try to look into the guy's past customers. If you are willing to send your engine block over to the U.S. you'd get a much better sleeves. I know the shipping cost is going to be a bitch, but try contacting U.S. manufacturers or machine shops. Good luck.

* y como esta el anbiente de carreras por aya?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sleeves locally made? (inlineaddict)

what you are paying for with sleeve kits like darton is that they have already done the researc on how thick the sleeves should be, how the intall should be done, the precise measurements to fit the sleeves in the block, etc.

I say buy a Darton MID kit and you can get the instructions online so your machinist can follow the sleeving install process. I've dealt with 3 companies in the past 8yrs that used to buy the blank sleeves we used to sell and they all gave up due to the amount of research on each block to get the right install procedure. One small minor calculation mistake makes a difference in having a good solid sleeved block. you dont want to deal with the cost of trial and error when you can just get the MID kit ready to go with install instructions.

if you need an MID kit, let me know. we ship all over the world.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Sleeves locally made? (ExospeedAMcrx)

really the company how makes those slevees is not that small as you think, by the way is very big about 30,000 m2 they make pvc pet molds for companies like coca cola P&G they have and automotive line where they install sleeves, make sleeve rectified heads blocks etc....i wanna know if there is a special kind of metal used or a new type of process used for heavy duty sleeves
thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sleeves locally made? (vtiperu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtiperu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really the company how makes those slevees is not that small as you think, by the way is very big about 30,000 m2 they make pvc pet molds for companies like coca cola P&G they have and automotive line where they install sleeves, make sleeve rectified heads blocks etc....i wanna know if there is a special kind of metal used or a new type of process used for heavy duty sleeves
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh i dont doubt that the company cant make it. It the R&D that will take time and money to make something right, unless you already have the specifications and install process COPIED from the other sleeve manufacturers.

As far as a certain type of process and metal they use. Thats something you'd have to research on your own. Thats why people pay a premium for Darton sleeves. R&D is already done. Real world testing on cars. Actual sleeves were installed in blocks to get the proper tolerances, etc.

keep in mind that the sleeves used for performance engines are not the same sleeves used as liners to fix blocks for regular use.