Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sleeves?

ok i've been reading alot about sleeves
my goal is about 400whp
i'm in the middle of building my engine
do you think i can do this on stock gsr sleeves
i going eagle rods and cp pistons and acl bearing and arp rod bolts on the block
then the head is getting p/p, 3 angle job, brain crower valves, springs, retainers and skunk2 i/m and 65mm t/b, arp head studs
and then i'm going to boost, havent even looked into what turbo i want to run probably a t4 60 trim top mount
do you think i would be safe to make that much on stock sleeves?

Modified by Spody02 at 10:25 AM 6/3/2008
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeves? (Spody02)

if you're looking for that much power, you'd want larger diameter pistons. larger diameter pistons means you have to bore out your block. boring out your block more than .20 over + boost = use of high quality sleeves
Old 06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen many ppl make over 400whp on stock sleeves... but i personally think sleeving is always the best and smartest choice.. last thing u wanna do is crack a sleeve then have to build again... so why not just sleeve it now, protect ur investment and if u decide to make more power, ur block is sleeved to handle it.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm shooting for 450whp on an 81mm stock sleeve build. There are a lot of people who do 81-81.5mm builds into the 500-550whp range safely.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm shooting for 450whp on an 81mm stock sleeve build. There are a lot of people who do 81-81.5mm builds into the 500-550whp range safely. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know who told you that but they are full of ****. You are not SAFELY boosting stock sleeves to 500+ WHP. Its very doable but in no way shape or form is is SAFE. The slightest bit of detonation at that WHP is very sketchy.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

Like everybody says, you can do it..but how long your sleeves will last is a totally different story.

Think about it. There is a reason why people drop serious cash on aftermarket sleeves..its called reliability.

Do it right the first time
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94delslo)

AHH!
i'm already so poor!
but i'm gonna look into getting my block sleeved

[freak]!
i hate being poor
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't know who told you that but they are full of ****. You are not SAFELY boosting stock sleeves to 500+ WHP. Its very doable but in no way shape or form is is SAFE. The slightest bit of detonation at that WHP is very sketchy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So have a good tune and run the proper octane and it'll be fine.

I did 470 WHP on pump gas (which people said wasn't safe) and just under 600 WHP on race gas for 2 years on stock B16 sleeves and the motor was fine when I pulled it.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

440 on stock b20 sleeves if i can do it on my b20 i know you can do it on a gsr all day
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (b16sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So have a good tune and run the proper octane and it'll be fine.

I did 470 WHP on pump gas (which people said wasn't safe) and just under 600 WHP on race gas for 2 years on stock B16 sleeves and the motor was fine when I pulled it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say it wasn't accomplishable, I merely said it wasn't safe.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AH!
i dont know what to do
keep em coming
i need more peoples thoughts
Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Spody02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spody02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AH!
i dont know what to do
keep em coming
i need more peoples thoughts </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can do it man, without a doubt. Make sure you get a rock solid tune as there is no room for error. If you can get a rock solid tune then you'll be fine. All I am saying is that its not the safest thing to do but without a doubt in can be done. Just have a spare block on the side getting sleeved and built so that when and if the other one gives up on you, you have something to fall back on.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes you can do it man, without a doubt. Make sure you get a rock solid tune as there is no room for error. If you can get a rock solid tune then you'll be fine. All I am saying is that its not the safest thing to do but without a doubt in can be done. Just have a spare block on the side getting sleeved and built so that when and if the other one gives up on you, you have something to fall back on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can safely run &lt;400hp with stock sleeves. Its been done RELIABLY time and time again. I'm currently daily driving @ 380hp on an 81.5mm stock block, and many others are doing the same thing. With a proper tune and build it will last.

To the OP, you're build is very similar to mine.. eagle rods, cp pistons, fully built valvetrain etc.. If i had to do it again, I would still leave my block unsleeved.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JoePSI)

what size turbo what motor? i have a gsr im thinking keeping the stock compression with cp pistons and eagle rods... arp studs... id like 400 whp maybe go with sc61 turbo.. i was saving money for sleeves but alot of guys tell me there not really needed with a good tune.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Yes you can do it man, without a doubt. Make sure you get a rock solid tune as there is no room for error. If you can get a rock solid tune then you'll be fine. All I am saying is that its not the safest thing to do but without a doubt in can be done. Just have a spare block on the side getting sleeved and built so that when and if the other one gives up on you, you have something to fall back on. </TD></TR></TABLE> i have to agree with you sd_lurker] it can be done but its not safe and i can tell you what i mean, with a sleeved block there is room for error but with a unsleeved block there is 0 room for error and 0 room for error = unsafe if you mess up and crack a sleeve it can damage your pistons when this happens and then not only do you need a new block you also need a set of pistons. so yes it can be done and has been done and im sure will be done again but if you do it be careful and get a good tune
Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Golden Eagle)

Like many have stated "it can be done" "has been done" BUT why risk your whole build on a "good tune"?. Why not just be safe and invest into a sleeved block? I myself did do the "stock sleeve" at one point, but after saving some dough, I had it sleeved and I've had no trouble ripping on it, ....... before I decided to sell it .
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah my stock sleeve gsr took a ****...well the block didnt take a **** the head just dropped two valves lmao...
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Re: (laosonick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laosonick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah my stock sleeve gsr took a ****...well the block didnt take a **** the head just dropped two valves lmao...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was reading your sig and that you are from houston. I was getting my car tuned by Chris again and he was telling me about a car that blew on the dyno with stock sleeves that made 517whp. or maybe that was the other guy that made 550 or something on stock sleeves. idk.

anyways back to the disscusion, aftermarket sleeves = reliability and peace of mind when you rip on your car over and over again.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm making 502whp 365wtq on C12 81.5mm pistons

430whp 285wtq on 93oct

STOCK SLEEVES!

That guy is right; it may not be safe but I wouldn't lose sleep over not sleeving the motor for anything 500whp or less.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeves? (bootlegcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bootlegcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm making 502whp 365wtq on C12 81.5mm pistons

430whp 285wtq on 93oct

STOCK SLEEVES!

That guy is right; it may not be safe but I wouldn't lose sleep over not sleeving the motor for anything 500whp or less.</TD></TR></TABLE> yes it can be done but it all depends on the block some get lucky and get a good cast block with a strong stock sleeve but then again some don't get so lucky and have problems and blow there motors trying to get that 500hp and tell those guys not to looses any sleep when they have to buy a new block and pistons because the stock sleeves gave out and damaged there pistons when it did. its like these guys said yes it can be done but IT IS NOT SAFE. best thing to do is to just do it right the first time and sleeve it this way when you do get that 500hp and decide you want more you can always upgrade the turbo and shoot for 800+ hp
Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeves? (allmotorB18eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorB18eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> yes it can be done but it all depends on the block some get lucky and get a good cast block with a strong stock sleeve but then again some don't get so lucky and have problems and blow there motors trying to get that 500hp and tell those guys not to looses any sleep when they have to buy a new block and pistons because the stock sleeves gave out and damaged there pistons when it did. its like these guys said yes it can be done but IT IS NOT SAFE. best thing to do is to just do it right the first time and sleeve it this way when you do get that 500hp and decide you want more you can always upgrade the turbo and shoot for 800+ hp </TD></TR></TABLE>

When did just bolting on a turbo and going from 500 up to 800whp become so easy??

anyway back to topic,

Thread has more than enough info for him to make his decision. IMO no sleeving for you HP goals. Do what you feel is best for you. If you have the money do it if you don't then screw it.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeves? (bootlegcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bootlegcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When did just bolting on a turbo and going from 500 up to 800whp become so easy??

anyway back to topic,

Thread has more than enough info for him to make his decision. IMO no sleeving for you HP goals. Do what you feel is best for you. If you have the money do it if you don't then screw it. </TD></TR></TABLE>
never said it ws easy but if he sleeves the block at least he has the opp for more power. so what your saying is if you cant afford to sleeve the block instead of saving your money and doing it right, take a shot and put your $500.00 pistons and your block on the line and build it so if you then make the hp you want and it works for you, you can brag about it but if it don't your only out a block and $500.00 pistons right
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeves? (allmotorB18eg)

I think you are looking for an argument for no reason.

I made 500 with no sleeves and i'm fine with it. If it blows up oh well I can build another for the same money it would cost to sleeve a block.

Why waste money if the stock parts take it fine??

Modified by bootlegcivic at 10:55 PM 6/10/2008
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have to question it, you need sleeves. If you dont even think twice about running stock sleeves, run stock sleeves. There are a million different arguements that go in circles all day.

Basically what it comes down to is, if you are worried that you migh need sleeves and/or dont want that worry in the back of your head everytime you get on it, sleeve the block.

If you dont care and/or think/know you will be fine, run stock sleeves.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

What he said; unless you're broke.

Quick Reply: sleeves?