Notices

Sleeper Turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper Turbo advice

well, so i've got all my parts rounded up and about ready for the install. I've had the idea to keep everything hidden as much as possible for that sleeper look. but im having a hard time figuring out how to disgiuse that infamous turbo spool sound. im pretty sure a few thru pipe mufflers will kill it in the exhaust note but what about the intake side. anyone have any ideas?

btw: big turbo estimated 15-20psi.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (allmotorSOHC16)

run the stock exhaust... itll be quiet. super sleeeeper status. thats what im doing... running a 3inch piping with no cat.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorSOHC16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, so i've got all my parts rounded up and about ready for the install. I've had the idea to keep everything hidden as much as possible for that sleeper look. but im having a hard time figuring out how to disgiuse that infamous turbo spool sound. im pretty sure a few thru pipe mufflers will kill it in the exhaust note but what about the intake side. anyone have any ideas?

btw: big turbo estimated 15-20psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Recirc your BOV.
Little larger than stock exhaust with an E-cutout for real boosting.
Full intake for the turbo with filter... other than a turbo with a silencer ring... thats about all you can do for the turbo spool sound.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock exh you can only hear the whistling of the turbo crammin air thru the cat...

i have a filter on mine and its pretty quite...

i jusr run my bov thru a pipe and it quites it down a bit....also i run an a/w setup so no big smiley face saying "hey im boosted"....aside from that...unless you know me...i car roll up to a meet and no one knows im boosted...till i pop the hood....makes fun for racing too...until i open up the exh cutout...and then thing scares domestics off the streets
Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (splitime)

silencer ring on the turbo? please explain. i've never heard about that.

if my logic is right then the longer the intake the quieter the sound. would this be true?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorSOHC16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">silencer ring on the turbo? please explain. i've never heard about that.

if my logic is right then the longer the intake the quieter the sound. would this be true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best example i can think of for the silencer ring is the holset hx35.. its a sound dampener... not really common and people take it out for sound (and some say for a little more air flow).
Old 09-14-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (splitime)

that ring inside near the compressor is the silencer ring?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 PM

hahah funny thing you should put up that picture...thats a nice hx35 exactly whats on my car...and btw the silver part is a silencer ring...and the reason its groved around the outside is to prevent compressor surge...i rock the hx35 and boy do i love shittin on srt4's w/ a stock exh...open up the 3" dp...and its just a whole dif ball game...4" inlet w/ a filter and stock exh is hella quite...push it to 15lbs and then car just rips w/ stock exh....open dp on 10lbs tears'm loose thru 3rd...and i paid all of $215 shipped for mine... for holsets!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy has the stock exhaust with a 3" cut out nice sleeper people laugh till he opens it up haha
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (blackccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddy has the stock exhaust with a 3" cut out nice sleeper people laugh till he opens it up haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

and then they stfu...as you continue to roast them
Old 09-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (drumking15)

what size exh do subaru's run? couldnt you just make decent power on a 2.25" full exhaust through a stock muffler and basically keep the car looking/sounding stock?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (93preludes)

where did you place the dump? and what kind? i've seen a few online but they dont look of too much quality.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 AM
D-t
Trial User

How would I go about if I wanted to do a 2.5" or 3" downpipe with an e-cutout. (I'm pretty much set on getting the 3") And then i would go from a 3" and weld on a piece of piping that went from 3" from the dp to a 2.36" I believe it is for the stock Integra exhaust?

I'm thinking about doing this for a little bit until I get enough for the exhaust piping muffler, resonators, etc. This sounds like a fun Idea.

I was going to have a 3" dp with e-cutout but with a 3" full exhaust mated to a vibrant flat black muffler anyway for the quietness, and a bit of sleeperness. But I might just keep the stock system for a while.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my advise on the exxhaust is to get something like rsr or world sport that still retains the stock look and sound but still let's the turbo breath.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 PM

off topic but i noticed that you are from tulsa.. im moving there in the next few months.. i'll be looking for your car with my sleeper

get at me..
Old 09-15-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (eli_vang)

thats scary. It's like it's grillin me!
Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (93preludes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93preludes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what size exh do subaru's run? couldnt you just make decent power on a 2.25" full exhaust through a stock muffler and basically keep the car looking/sounding stock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friends and I swapped a JDM ej20 from a '95 STi into a 93 Legacy wagon. The owner insisted on a 3" downpipe but that it still needed to be QUIET.

We built a 3" stainless exhaust using a Dynomax super turbo muffler, mandrel bends, a 24" resonator, a 20" resonator, a 3" high flow cat, and about 7 inches of straight tubing total.

It turned out to be quite a nice sleeper. A 255HP ugly station wagon with steel wheels. The owner even bought NEW steel wheels because he didn't want anything flashy. Unfortunately for him, the intercooler required that we add the impreza hood scoop to his hood. It looks like a touch of rice, and it is the ONLY part of his car that doesn't appear to be stock.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (eli_vang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eli_vang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">off topic but i noticed that you are from tulsa.. im moving there in the next few months.. i'll be looking for your car with my sleeper
get at me..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, the only way to get more sleeper than that is to add a wheelie bar and parachute.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (KeyserSoze)

haha
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do u go about doing the cut out i like that idea
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (91teggyman)

make a dp and put a cutout in line w/ the dp...and splice in the stock exh...w/ the cutout closed the exh will go thur the stock exh makin it hella quite...open it up...instant power and loudness...great for scaring little children off the streets
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make a dp and put a cutout in line w/ the dp...and splice in the stock exh...w/ the cutout closed the exh will go thur the stock exh makin it hella quite...open it up...instant power and loudness...great for scaring little children off the streets </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wanna hear you rip through the I-93 tunnel with the cutout open
Old 09-21-2005, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Sleeper Turbo advice (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wanna hear you rip through the I-93 tunnel with the cutout open </TD></TR></TABLE>
i think id go deaf...its loud w/o any echo's as your already heard comin across the bridge @ rockingham...in a tunnel.....makes me shiver...my neighbors hate it too...coming home late at night (1-3am) w/ it wide open...def wakes them up...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with a 2.5 inch exhaust to a stock muffler
it's not even loud without a cat
go with a 3 inch e cutout in your downpipe
and go with a DSM bov and pipe it back into the charge pipes
and go with a dumptube that goes into the exhaust
no rims, just hubcaps
just get a nice cluster with a tack and mount your gauges in your glove and open you glove if u want to see whats going on

Quick Reply: Sleeper Turbo advice