Notices

single vs twin turbo question ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default single vs twin turbo question ...

Met a kid, with a Supra at local McDonalds parking lot. Saw it had TT emblem, went up to him to talk to him about the car. blah blah blah.... asked if he did anything to the motor and how is the twin turbo? .... he said its not twin turbo anymore. he bought the car with the blown stock twin turbo motor in it (he said there were a **** load of problems with the motor when he bought it and he never was able to get it to run) so, he later bought a single turbo j-z (what ever ) motor. then he went on about how the car can be faster as a single turbo then twin turbo anyways.... blah and said how even if he had the tt still he woulda made it single.
i later told a buddy of mine about this convo and he agreed with what that guy was saying to some extent but coulnt really explain it in great detail either. then i checked my super street magazine b/c i rember seeing a write up on Nick Hogan's supra which he made single turbo as well to pull off 1000hp. where as his dads tt supra only had like 600hp (which is alot, but .... you would think building off of a twin turbo is double the more hp?, no?)

i dont know, i just need some clarification on if ''single turbo is better then twin turbo when modifying to get the most power?''

-thanx
Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: single vs twin turbo question ... (DCnotTHEshoes)

Single turbos are bigger and they can keep making power where the smaller turbos used in TT will start to lose power. TT spools up faster much like a supercharger because of the smaller size of the turbos used. Two turbos doesn't mean twice the power it just means less lag. I'm not a professional, but I have driven quite a few TT and single turbo cars. Hope that makes sense.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think going single turbo has a few advantages. since the 2jz is inline 6 it has sequential turbos (one feeds the other) i think at some point it may become a restriction thus limiting power. you can only push so much air from one turbo into the other's inlet before effeciency becomes a problem. i dunno just sounds logical to me.

also upgrading using twin turbos is just expensive. 2 turbos are gonna net you a minimum of $1200. some the the fancy stuff can be $1500 per turbo or more.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM

Yeah, theres a buddy of mine running a single turbo with a comp. housing the size of a ******* VOLLEYBALL on his 2JZ. Hes boosting 32.5 psi on c16, and 20 psi on pump gas (***** doesn't wanna keep breaking stuff ), but he says that to make BIG power, a single turbo is the only way to go. For DD, you can still make more than enough power on the sequential setup, and not have to wait for ever for the boost to kick in. But for a 1000hp+ drag car, you need one MASSIVE snail.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: single vs twin turbo question ... (jdb2527)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdb2527 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Single turbos are bigger and they can keep making power where the smaller turbos used in TT will start to lose power. TT spools up faster much like a supercharger because of the smaller size of the turbos used. Two turbos doesn't mean twice the power it just means less lag. I'm not a professional, but I have driven quite a few TT and single turbo cars. Hope that makes sense.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

not saying that twins would make more power, efficiently bla bla bla.... but to say they upgraded the turbos significantly larger than stock? sayyy 2 gt30r's or something like that to reach a certain power goal with good spool time. but as far as everything goes, i would agree with the single larger turbo making more power off the top end.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: single vs twin turbo question ... (bnut510)

i saw a supra at a car show with twin 50 trims on it so obviosuly people do twin upgrades but i dont see it being better then 1 big single.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: single vs twin turbo question ... (CoreyR)

well to say u started off with a twin setup... cheaper to upgrade the turbos or to change it in to a single turbo setup? im just asking, i dont know much about the converting twins to singles, which is y im curious.... curious like george
Old 06-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: single vs twin turbo question ... (bnut510)

i would imagine its cheaper on the single side. 1 less turbo to buy 1 less wastegate (assuming they use 2 on big twins) manifold is probably less due to it being a simpler design. less charge pipe's, 1 less downpipe (assuming its not sequential). not to mention the room saved i dont see a benefit to a twin upgrade over 1 big single after the stockers are maxed.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup cheaper to go 1 big turbo just because of additional parts and fabrication. tt is good for stockish hp/street cars. 2 turbos don't come cheap!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (gotbooost)

yeh but i was thinking if u had already started off with a twin setup. wouldnt it just be cheaper to upgrade the twins is what i was trying to get at, rather than swaping everything out for a single conversion. just a thought tho for the guys with a twin setup already. and lets say, u put something bigger like 2 35r's or even 40s. i know the spool response would probably be significantly slower but top end, that would be some pretty crazy power right? saying he/she went with 35rs... and if i remember correctly the 35r is good for a little over 600? would it just reach to 600 or double that with twins?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bnut510)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bnut510 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeh but i was thinking if u had already started off with a twin setup. wouldnt it just be cheaper to upgrade the twins is what i was trying to get at, rather than swaping everything out for a single conversion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you were just gonna upgrade the turbos themselves then yeah. but even then i dunno what they come wtith stock so you have to worry about turbine inlet and outlet flanges, piping and oil lines as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bnut510 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and lets say, u put something bigger like 2 35r's or even 40s. i know the spool response would probably be significantly slower but top end, that would be some pretty crazy power right? saying he/she went with 35rs... and if i remember correctly the 35r is good for a little over 600? would it just reach to 600 or double that with twins?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you could have double power on a v-configuration motor (domestic or 300zx etc.) cause each turbo could put out 600hp into the IM. but with a sequential setup. the first 35r would push 600hp into the other but the second wouldnt be able to push out 1200hp. it would be limited to 600 still. thats why i think once you start going big turbos, a single conversion is the best bet.

these are just thoughts and i really have no experience with supras or the like so dont hold me to anything. good dicussion goin on here.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpetro1)

A single turbo setup will be pretty much always more efficient than a twin turbo setup, and you can make more power and have less lag. This is assuming everything is sized properly to your goals...
Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

thank you guys very much for your responses.

-
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People run twin T67's on Skylines on a 2.5-2.8L bore(1200whp), so I would imagine twin T67's on a 3.4L Stroker 2JZ would still make 1200+ whp and have the same lagginess as a GT4780 or similar turbo.