Notices

Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street???

Hello all, I'm sure you guys can help with this. THis guy took my money last night and I'm just curious. He claims he has a single cam vtec turbo. He has the ITR five lugs and the front mount, thats all we could see. The wrx goes 12.0's and is driven very well. The guy in the civic didnt pop his hood, but was very sure that he would win without even lookingat the subaru. He had nitto 555's on 16's, the car sounded weak when he drove it normally, then like Steph Papadakis when he got on it. He beat the WRX by a car length, took him out of the hole and all. The car is a 96 EX with full interior and a system. Is this possible from a Single Cam. I've never heard or heard of a street single cam making this kind of power and torque. Any ideas guys??????
Old 04-15-2002, 10:02 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (bigblockEG)

most likely he had a swap also with all his mods
i think he worked on the engine alot then his JDM wheels ect...

and how can that civic beat a WRX off the line?
wow!

fast cars!
Old 04-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure thing on DFI and well built blocks we can put down well over 300 SINGLE CAM HP .. heh!

But yeah, don't know about the off line deal, must be a real good launcher!

[Modified by mplex2000, 7:03 PM 4/15/2002]
Old 04-15-2002, 10:23 AM

This civic beat a consistent 12.0 WRX though, I was amzed, plus beat out of money. I really dont think that this car was a single cam because of the way he came out of the hole. This car was 2800lbs most likely and it launched like a pontiac fiero with a big block. Im ust not sure if the tthe ex axles fit properly into the itr hubs. If they do not then we know he had a twin cam, if they do then I am stumped because this wrx on a chilly night couldnt take this civic on the street. Thing was shooting flames out of the external w/g and all. I am mad that the civic won because I lost money but it was very cool to watch
Old 04-15-2002, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (mplex2000)

That would have to be one really worked over single cam to run a WRX, especially off the line, I don't believe it for a second.... You couldn't ID the motor from the sound ? It's easy to id a sohc from a dohc, even turbo ones. Even if he were making close to 300 hp, he would at least need an LSD control melting his tire(s) off the line !
Old 04-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (X2BOARD)

Ouch! If he was SOHC, he would have showed it off...and prove to everyone that a SOHC can hang with a WRX. So most likely he had a DOHC swap, plus boosting a pretty hefty number. Might even have some nitrous to help the top end? Never know when it comes to street racers.

Did he have a 2-step rev limiter? That might helped his launches. With 555R's, it's easy to launch when you have the 2-step and LSD.

Better luck next time....I bet that Civic guy was laughing all the way to the bank huh?
Old 04-15-2002, 10:45 AM

No two step, not sure about the LSD but the front wasside to side through second gear considering I was right behind the race in another car. I think that he may have NOS too but not sure. I could get a great listen to the motor with the wastegate poppin like a mac 11 so.....I've never heard a single cam like that. Sounded really deep for a turbo car though. Come back around this week though. The guy with the WRX owns a shop out here and he is going to do Rods, pistons, more fuel, and possible a bigger turbo, and run him again. The guy in the WRX is an import drag legend around here and this kid just came out of nowhere. Pretty sneaky, but very cool. We all thought that even if he did have a twin cam, he would not be able to hook and would have to play catch up with the WRX. I dont care what kind of street car im driving, I dont want to play catch up with a low 12 second WRX.......very cool car though, **** was bad ***... Even though I lost money, I give all the respect he deserves, not if he's lying though. When money is on the line you need to open them up....
Old 04-15-2002, 10:49 AM

he had to have had a dohc. sure he could have had a sohc, but it would have needed tons of work.

especially in a 96 coupe with a full interior, system, etc. the only sohc civic turbos i've seen run good numbers, anywhere near 12's and below have been fully, fully gutted with all out slicks.

and if he got your friend out of the hole he must be one heck of a driver or your friend must lack awd launching ability. i say this because a fwd civic with 16inch nittos is gonna have a hard time getting a 2.0 on his 60 foot. now i know people in awd dsm's and wrx's running close to 1.7 60 foot times.

anyhow, that civic sounds pretty sweet.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (bgod)

I'd bet on him having atleast a B18c1, running a trashload of boost, most likely built to be producing this power. You guys have to check under the hood in this situations..
Old 04-15-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (bgod)

bgod, you better watch out. This car is from ct, right near the bronx....... watch it...heheh
Old 04-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (jared703)

i say built c1, with alot of boost.
ive been seeing alot of potent as hell hatches with that set up running 11's and quicker. . . street driven ..
Old 04-15-2002, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (itr206)

I don't know, there are couple things that seem odd.
1st, I don't see it leaving the WRX from the hole. Even I race Z06's and faster cars, I ALWAYS get holeshot, ESPECIALLY on the street (at the track, 11 second/slick rwd cars are even with me for most of 1st gear). I think the dude d*cked up the launch.

If he didn't pop his hood, then I'd assume anything would be in there. anyone who buys a 5 lug conversion would surely get rid of the sohc motor.

just my two cents.

-C
Old 04-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (TypeC)

why doesnt it make sense?
There are 10sec sohc turbo cars and a great number of 11 sec turbo daily SOHC cars.

WHy does it have to be assumed that its a DOHC?
Old 04-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting.. people around here dont ever race for money, at least at the spots i go too.. but id assume that civic definitly has more then a SOHC.. it sounds like a sweet civic though, possibly the WRX isnt as fast as u guys think.. have u actually seen him pull off a 12.0?
Old 04-15-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...not to mention anyone who would go thru with a 5-lug conversion would definitely have the means to build a very potent DOHC turbo setup. It was probably something he had money left over to spend on....why not a 5-lug conversion right?

Old 04-15-2002, 11:25 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

If he didn't pop his hood, then I'd assume anything would be in there. anyone who buys a 5 lug conversion would surely get rid of the sohc motor.

just my two cents.

-C
Very true, never thought of that one.

I dunno...with LSD and maybe traction bars, you don't think a street driven FWD can hang with a mostly stock drivetrain AWD? I thought it could. I can take my friend's Audi A4 Quattro with just street Kumho's and an LSD in the launch.

The Audi does nothing special, just drops the clutch at like 5K, no wheel spin, nothing. And I can still beat him.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (exospeedAMcrx)

There are 10sec sohc turbo cars and a great number of 11 sec turbo daily SOHC cars.

WHy does it have to be assumed that its a DOHC?
How many SOHC daily driven cars with full interior you seen run 10's or 11's? The only quick ones are stripped out, one piece front-end, track only cars. And all of them are either hatchbacks or CRX's...I've never seen a COUPE run those times with full interior. So I don't know where you've seen these cars, but I must be really out of it if I haven't heard of any?

Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (Prelude_RCR)

i'd have to agree. a sohc 96 coupe with full interior, system and the bunch. sure it could happen but experience tells me it's definitely a dohc. also the 5 lug conversion is a good hint too.
i've never ever seen in person or even heard of someone having a sohc motor and 5 lug swap unless the sohc was just about to be swapped like my old eg hatch. had the old cx motor in there for a month until a b18b got dropped in.

bigblockeg, i'm not worried about civic turbos. meaning, i can't really hang with them. and to tell you the truth, i've come across so many damn dohc civic turbos that can easily run 11's at the track that it wouldn't surprise me. it's rare to actually see one of these beasts on the road but i see a good handful of them everytime i goto the shop i have my work done at rpmnyc.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (Prelude_RCR)

Ive seen the car go 12.0, dont remember the 60ft but the mph was like 114 I think. The guy driving the car owned the second fastest drag porsche behind Tito on the east coast. There is no doubt in my mind that he launched the car fine. I didnt go bankrupt on the race so I dont care that we didnt open the hood. I was just very confident with this driver, car that I didnt need to see under the hood. I dont know how this guy did it, but I have been following imports and street racing for 5 years now and I cant remeber ever seeing a full interior streetable single cam run like that on the street. Car idled like stock, had 2.25 in exhaust, sounded like a stock greddy kit until he opened it up. Never seen a single cam like that, has to be twin, maybe even a C5 or H22. I know that WRX ran the race perfectly.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:12 PM

Ok all, Thank You for your responses. I am sure now that it was no single cam, even though it is possible, I dont believe it. Keep up the info on the single cams. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW! It would be nice if you could actually find out what that civic has in it....
Old 04-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (HXMan)

...or maybe the Civic guy and the WRX guy were in cohoots?! They suckered everybody into thinking the WRX would smash this Civic up, but sandbagged it and lost the run? I wonder how much money they split together? Hey, could happen...seen it done before with a NOS'ed Mustang and a Turbo Civic! (Guess who had a share of the split?)
Old 04-15-2002, 01:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (HXMan)

A while ago SCC(I think)posted some guy in a single cam full interior and the works running 11's or 10's(can't remember). They stated it was running 20 plus pounds of boost on a stock engine and gave praise to the eastcoast tuner(some guy from NY area). I was reading the article on the ******* and truely don't remember any of the details, besides thinking he must have a ton of money to waste or something to prove. I could try to dig the article up and see if I can get more details. I know it was a black coupe with NY plates. Now if you are truely being honest about the driving ablity of the WRX then this story is just to much for me. I've seen a 12 sec GSX, bashing 12 sec domestic cars. I personaly witnessed several 12 sec "front tire lifting V8's" get trounced by the GSX. Finally took a 10sec LS1 w/two stages of juice to reel him in. The GSX just had to much out of the hole for the other cars to catch up. So a ff launching with an awd is just to much to swallow unless someone(WRX) didn't launch as hard as he could. Best of luck in the upcoming rematches.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street??? (abraunb16)

Whats with all the hype and the doubts that its cant be an SOHC.
There are 11 second full interior civics in southern cali all the time.
Yes, theyre fully built and street driven. I guess its all about the DOHC mentality in this board. Open up your eyes and let the SOHC shine.
Yes its “EASIER” to make a DOHC into the 11’s but that doesn’t count out single cams. It might take a little more boost, but it can be done.

And also, those WRX’s don’t have the top end turbo pull that Honda turbo motors have.

Wil
Old 04-15-2002, 02:11 PM

I know some guys that swear by the single cam, I think with the right amount of boost 12s are completely dooable.

Quick Reply: Single Cam Turbo smoked a 12 second WRX on street???