Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review

I ordered a Silly sohc ramhorn manfold for $500 bucks shipped to my engine builder...

Service: I was promised manifold delivery for a certain day, and it came about a week later. I ordered the manifold with the sole understanding that it would be done by a certain date, and it was not.

Welds: Welds were okay. Definately not in the same class as Full Race. Did not get to examine inside the tubing for complete welding penetration.

Flanges: both the 38mm wastegate flange and the exhaust flange were both WARPED

We doubled up on gaskets to fix the wastegate, and the manifold will have to be milled to flatten the head flange, which is Unacceptable.

Fitment: Manifold fit perfectly. We have enough room to make a 2.5 to 3 inch downpipe and keep AC and PS. (of course Stock AC fan must be removed and pushed fan is needed)

Overall, not a bad buy, since not many companies make equal length d series manifolds....

Dyno and pics to come later
Old 03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i just got mine today and all seems great!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow i just got mine today and all seems great!</TD></TR></TABLE>

please get a straight edge and check the flanges....

our flange was soo warped... we cranked it down tonight, and gases was emitting from all angles on the manifold

now instead of having my car tonight, the shop has to take it off, and get the surface milled
Old 03-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review (igo4bmx)

I'm not familiar with "Silly SOHC" manifolds, do you have a link?

Old 03-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review (EJ1 wilcox)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1047330
Old 03-22-2005, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i mounted my wastegate last night, and checked for clearances......i had to do a little trimming just inder the hood latch area for the wastegate, but on my glanges you can see where they were leveled out.......no issues so far.

did you PM jay about it???
Old 03-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i mounted my wastegate last night, and checked for clearances......i had to do a little trimming just inder the hood latch area for the wastegate, but on my glanges you can see where they were leveled out.......no issues so far.

did you PM jay about it???</TD></TR></TABLE>

i told him about the wastegate flange issue which we discovered about 2 twos ago, and he said "oh" and thats about it

i'm really concerned about the manifold now, and may have my shop mill ever flange on it, since it sounds like they warped when he welded them on.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

His ad says "Lifetime warrenty on all models." You should get him to fix it.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr Pooface)

i guess i should have checked that out before i put mine on. everything looks ok. i'll let everyone know for sure when i start my car up. i think when looking at the inside welds, i saw only about 60-70% pen. can you guys that have this mani confirm that? i sure hope it holds up. it did seem like my t3 flange was a little out of wack, but we'll see.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr Pooface)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr Pooface &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">His ad says "Lifetime warrenty on all models." You should get him to fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i rather not ship it to canada, and then have him ship it like three weeks later, since the car is pretty much ready to go....

they are gonna just take it off today and I'm gonna have them mill all the flanges cuz of the problem we saw last night.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batboyvaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess i should have checked that out before i put mine on. everything looks ok. i'll let everyone know for sure when i start my car up. i think when looking at the inside welds, i saw only about 60-70% pen. can you guys that have this mani confirm that? i sure hope it holds up. it did seem like my t3 flange was a little out of wack, but we'll see. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah good luck... i didn't look at the welds cuz its been at the shop since i bought it.

the flange looked straight.... we couldn't even see the exhaust leak until my new motor was blew moisture out the flange area
Old 03-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn....starting to scare me here. i'm going to be starting up my motor in the next week or so. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 03-22-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by batboyvaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn....starting to scare me here. i'm going to be starting up my motor in the next week or so. I'll keep you guys posted</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't be scared, but then again don't waste time like how I made my engine builder waste his precious time...

just get all the flanges checked... if they are warped, stack up on gaskets or get it resurfaced
Old 03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to all....

I have been triing to keep a close eye on the flange issue.. I did for sure surface mrbsponge's.... igo4bmx, I just messaged you reguarding some kick back.

feed back is appreciated... it makes for better product guys, speak up.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM

I hope mine is allright...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (COLORPROS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by COLORPROS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope mine is allright...</TD></TR></TABLE>

just get a straight edge and check all flanges...

we had to take off .025 of an inch on the head flange...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone had a problem getting their manifold lately from Jay? I ordered some parts from him 5-6 weeks ago. He came highly recommended, and he gave a tracking number that doesn't even work 2 weeks ago. I was on vacation for 3 weeks and that gave him another 3 weeks to work on the items I ordered.

Now he is telling me it's stuck in customs somewhere, but the tracking number should atleast be in the system since it at customs, and ups tracking should say billing information has been received. So not quite sure what is going on. He has been promissing me that my stuff would arrive for weeks, and that the tracking number would work. The guy atleast answers his phone when I call, but **** I been quite patient.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He lives about an hour away from me, good guy, just dicks you around on the time frame, even for locals guys. But his product looks decent, I recently sold my old lovefab SST for one of his D-series EL manifolds, top notch quality. From some of the stuff I've seen in the past, he has come along way. But like it's been said before, his custmer serive need major improvment.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ELSpool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He lives about an hour away from me, good guy, just dicks you around on the time frame, even for locals guys. But his product looks decent, I recently sold my old lovefab SST for one of his D-series EL manifolds, top notch quality. From some of the stuff I've seen in the past, he has come along way. But like it's been said before, his custmer serive need major improvment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn what made you switch manifolds?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review (igo4bmx)

I purchased my first ramhorn manifold from silly sohc JAY. it was good stuff and came on time. this was liek 2 years ago. So in january i ordered a top mount from him. march rolled around i started asking where the hell is my manifold. he finally said he shipped it out. over a month went by and still nothing. finally i got him to refund my money on it. then a week later he gives me a story that he got the manifold back from ups and the box was all beat up and did i still need a manifold. so i said yes. he still never shipped it out to me. HUGE thumbs down for that guy.

i currently am having my top mount made to my specs through JDMSLEEPER S-FAB . brad made me a manifold and we had some fitment issues because i have a strange combination. He took the manifold rigt back and is currently refabricating to correct the few things that we knew would be an issue and had to work around anyhow. This kid is great and the welds are very nice. He is just starting out but i give him a huge thumbs up

Just didnt make sense to me that i ordered from him before and had no issues then the second time around was nothign but a bullshit hastle. I guess more and more peopel are having a problem with him. That doesnt say good for his business thats for damn sure
Old 06-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn what made you switch manifolds?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My old Lovefab was made for A/C and sat very low, so I always had oil drain problems. I also removed my A/C two years ago, so rather than cutting up a nice manifold, I sold it for the same price as a normal Silly SOHC one. I also got him to place the turbo high as possible to give me an actual oil return this year.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM

Default Re: (ELSpool)

I order a mani from him in like jan. I am still waiting on it. He said he had problems with ups. And they just sent the package back to them he said he would send it out right a way still have not got it that was like 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mark45840)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mark45840 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I order a mani from him in like jan. I am still waiting on it. He said he had problems with ups. And they just sent the package back to them he said he would send it out right a way still have not got it that was like 2 weeks ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Canada
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mark45840)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mark45840 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I order a mani from him in like jan. I am still waiting on it. He said he had problems with ups. And they just sent the package back to them he said he would send it out right a way still have not got it that was like 2 weeks ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah he told me that for over a month. Get your money back. I dont know what his deal is. Either he is tired of making the manifolds and just trying to get money or he seriously needs to find a compatent shipper. Sounds to me more like he just doesnt give a **** anymore so get your money back
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (Turbo-LS)

well he just emailed me back and send the eta is the 24th of this month

Quick Reply: Silly Sohc Ramhorn style manifold review