Notices

Sick of reading mixed reviews on vacuum lines for wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of reading mixed reviews on vacuum lines for wastegate

I always assumed the tial wastegate should be hooked up as follows: top port open to atmosphere and bottom port running to a vacuum source such as your brake booster after the check valve. But recently I have read a lot of people saying it should be hooked up to a "positive pressure source" by drilling a nipple into your turbo itself on the compressor side or to the intercooler piping. So I went through that trouble to have a ghetto-rigged nipple coming out of the intercooler piping for that vacuum line. Is this incorrect??

Please reply if you really understand how this all works and should be setup.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sick of reading mixed reviews on vacuum lines for wastegate

running direct to a pressure source like right off the compressor housing increases the repsonse of any boost setup. The longer the lines to the bottom or top port the slower the boost will decrease or increase, depending on boost control setup. also running the lines close and off the compressor housing is way cleaner than a clutter of vaccum tees running from the intake manifold all the way to the wastegate and boost control setup. There are mixed reviews becuase people do things for different reasons. Most do the vaccum clutter because they dont know any better. Cleaning up the vaccum lines can save your motor, have had multiple people blow there motor's because of vaccum lines pooping off fpr, or wastegates. fpr, bov, wastegate, map sensor and boost gauge should have the own line not all clumped together. Good luck...
Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by littlebluecrx
...should have the own line not all clumped together. Good luck...
Meaning, like a vacuum manifold?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TylerB
Meaning, like a vacuum manifold?
like a vaccum manifold or just tap the manifold for 4 ports, and one on the snail shell....
Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by littlebluecrx
like a vaccum manifold or just tap the manifold for 4 ports, and one on the snail shell....
Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alacard

Please reply if you really understand how this all works and should be setup.
Thanks in advance.
you dont have to believe anyone but the manufactuerer. the instructions for tial gates say the to use a pre-throttle plate source (aka positive pressure). also the tial rep that is on this site will tell you the same thing.

bottom-line: the wastegate will work either way but using a boost only source gives you better response and doesnt risk tearing the wg diaphragm.

not sure why you had to "ghetto rig" anything. tapping the compressor housing or charge pipe shouldnt be too complicated
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the vacuum line on my FPR pop off during a pass midway. Thank god for lean protection.

Zip tie all your **** people. No joke
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tial wastegates come with 2 nipples, since you don't need the top port for your application just use the unused nipple from the wastegate on the turbo for your pressue source. simple if you think about it, and you can allow your wastegate diaphragm to see vaccum but its not recommended as already stated.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a hole like that in my turbo, unfortunately.

The reason why I had to ghetto-rig it was because I can't weld and didn't have the time to take it to someone who could. So there really isn't a good way to slap a nipple in the turbo or the charge pipes that I know of. If there is, please enlighten me.

Right now I have a hole drilled, a nipple fitted in there with a metal washer and a rubber washer. There is a regular hose clamp with a hole for the fitting to stick out of wrapped around it holding it all in place. I have silicon gasket all around to try to make sure it doesn't leak.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a hole like that in my turbo, unfortunately.

Most Turbo's do not have them, all it requires is a drill, a tap and a little brain power. Hell I didnt have a welder when I did my last setup, I just drilled a hole in my charge pipe, bought a brass nipple from Home Depot and JB Welded that sucker to the charge pipe... held 20+psi daily and never came off... not saying it was correct but most of this stuff is rather easy if you put some time into it.

The reason why I had to ghetto-rig it was because I can't weld and didn't have the time to take it to someone who could. So there really isn't a good way to slap a nipple in the turbo or the charge pipes that I know of. If there is, please enlighten me.

Read previous comment

Right now I have a hole drilled, a nipple fitted in there with a metal washer and a rubber washer. There is a regular hose clamp with a hole for the fitting to stick out of wrapped around it holding it all in place. I have silicon gasket all around to try to make sure it doesn't leak.
Try to avoid using a Vacumn source if possible for the Wastegate, any place from the compressor outlet right to before the TB will suffice just fine.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, that does sound pretty ghetto. you dont need to weld anything just drill a hole in the compressor housing and run an 1/8" npt tap though it. its gonna suck if you get it all together then overboost because the wg line is leaking
Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put a fitting coming out of the Coupler and make sure you seal it. Will be the same pressure but without drilling into the turbo.. 5 Dollar fix.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
actually, that does sound pretty ghetto. you dont need to weld anything just drill a hole in the compressor housing and run an 1/8" npt tap though it. its gonna suck if you get it all together then overboost because the wg line is leaking
I don't understand how that doesn't leak? You are just threading a nipple through a hole you drilled?? How does that hold pressure? Maybe I'm just not understanding..
Old 04-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand how that doesn't leak? You are just threading a nipple through a hole you drilled?? How does that hold pressure? Maybe I'm just not understanding..

npt is a tappered thread so it seals as you tighten. make sure to throw some teflon tape on the threads and it will hold all pressure you want.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt have a taped hole on my 30r but the 28r did. For the 30r i just ran the wastegate line to the fpr vaccum line and T it off there. the blow off I ran to a vaccum block
Old 04-12-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DUKE LADUKE
I didnt have a taped hole on my 30r but the 28r did. For the 30r i just ran the wastegate line to the fpr vaccum line and T it off there. the blow off I ran to a vaccum block

i think you are missing the point of this thread. running the wg to a vac source is not the proper way to do it. the wg should see boost only.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you are missing the point of this thread. running the wg to a vac source is not the proper way to do it. the wg should see boost only.
k
Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So then why does Golden Eagle tell you to install their vac manifold with all sources going to vacuum on the intake manifold? I don't get it.

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/includ...ldlInstall.pdf
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear
So then why does Golden Eagle tell you to install their vac manifold with all sources going to vacuum on the intake manifold? I don't get it.

http://www.goldeneaglemfg.com/includ...ldlInstall.pdf
im not sure what a golden eagle vac mani has to do with the conversation. and if you look at the picture in that pdf document it clearly shows the TOP port of a wg going to an ebc and then to vacuum. completely different and for the purpose of this thread has nothing to do with the SIDE port of the wg.

and i will quote myself to reiterate a previous comment

bottom-line: the wastegate will work either way but using a boost only source gives you better response and doesnt risk tearing the wg diaphragm.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure what a golden eagle vac mani has to do with the conversation. and if you look at the picture in that pdf document it clearly shows the TOP port of a wg going to an ebc and then to vacuum. completely different and for the purpose of this thread has nothing to do with the SIDE port of the wg.

and i will quote myself to reiterate a previous comment
So you can run the wastegate to vacuum IF you are using an EBC? If you are just running straight WG spring pressure with the top port open, you run the side port ALWAYS to a boost source only? Is that correct?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PaddingtonBear
So you can run the wastegate to vacuum IF you are using an EBC? If you are just running straight WG spring pressure with the top port open, you run the side port ALWAYS to a boost source only? Is that correct?
partially correct. if just running straight wg then yes use a boost only source to side port.

if using an ebc, follow the directions supplied by the manufacturer. my hondata boost by gear uses all boost lines, vacuum is not needed to control boost. boost is needed to control boost if that makes sense
Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

partially correct. if just running straight wg then yes use a boost only source to side port.

if using an ebc, follow the directions supplied by the manufacturer. my hondata boost by gear uses all boost lines, vacuum is not needed to control boost. boost is needed to control boost if that makes sense
gotcha. thanks for clearing that up!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

None of this matters. Before the throttle plate, after the throttle plate, before the intercooler, after the intercooler. It really doesn't matter. That's the truth. There are minor functionality differences between each of the options, but in the end, all will result in a functioning setup.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nowtype
None of this matters. Before the throttle plate, after the throttle plate, before the intercooler, after the intercooler. It really doesn't matter. That's the truth. There are minor functionality differences between each of the options, but in the end, all will result in a functioning setup.
.. thought the same way
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nowtype
yes it will be functional but there is no arguement to dispute the wg diaphragm issue. it should not see vacuum

Quick Reply: Sick of reading mixed reviews on vacuum lines for wastegate