Skunk2 valve springs and retainers
Ferrera Valves
Stock GSr cams
STr 68mm TB
Cometic Head Gasket
Act Prolite Flywheel w/ Act 6-puck and Extreme Pressure Plate
Quaife LSd
ANd the list goes on........

My problem is that everything is together and when we finally started the car up it sounds like something is fucked up in the block. Saturday we are pulling the head and dropping the oil pan to remove the pistons and rods to inspect them and see whats going on.(note: a machine shop in Nc put the short block together origanally)
Another problem is that I am getting some blow by as well. My question is why I am in there removing everything should I switch out the eagle rods for some crower rods being that I know your motor is as weak as the weakest part and out of everything the rods are the only thing that scares me out of everything. What would I have to do if I did decide to change the rods.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (1fastgsrturbo)

I'd stick with the Eagles.
As long as they are not the casue of the engine noise.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (BROOD)

the only reason why I question it is b/c this season I am going to be very serious at the track and everybody is saying that everything else i did to my motor is capable of some seriuos power but the rods will be the only thing that hold me back from the skys beiing the limit.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check into scat rods, are you sure the noise wasnt just the forged internal parts
Old 11-14-2003, 08:16 AM

from what I've seen times and numbers wise, you should be okay till 500hp or so as long as you got some tuning on your side.

I'm shooting for 400 on eagles w/ stock sleeves! no laughing, it's been done.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (RenoRacing)

i have a friend running 27 psi/ 527 whp on eagle rods so i wouldnt worry about your rods that much
Old 11-14-2003, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (tgh99si)

the rods will be fine .
Old 11-14-2003, 09:05 AM

dude you'll be fine.
BodykitsNW runs them and he laid down i think 384hp or something like that and that was 20mins into him break the engine in.
I dont care want anyone says im running them too.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (itr206)

Eagle rods are fine.
Did you break in the motor properly?
A new motor needs a good hard break in with lots of winding up/down before the crosshatch wears off the cylindar walls.

Basically, after building, I would start the car, let it warm up, get in, and beat the **** out of it. a 1/4 throttle run to redline, then let off gas, stay in gear and let car coast back to idle, a half throttle run repeating, a 3/4 throttle run also letting it run back down to low rpm IN gear, then a full throttle run.

It takes 20 minutes. Then go home, change your oil- no synthetic yet... use cheap walmart brand sae30 or somthing equivalent... then go out and beat the **** out of it more on the new oil (this change was to remove metal shavings, must be done very early) for about 500 miles. After that, change the oil again, and never look back. I'd run the motor for the first 3k after that change still on cheapo oil.
After that, go with the oil your motor will see for the rest of it's life and it's done.
Only problem with this method is you need a fairly empty road / roads where you can do this-- and don't let it run much without getting right to it b/c once the crosshatch wears away you won't be able to properly break it in.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (Johnyquest)

so do you think crower rods are just hype? I know buy comparing the two side by side the crower looks alot better. And to answer somebody elses ? I didnt even get a chance to put the wheels on so the motor has been on for a total of about 20 mins. Is that normal to get blow by on the initial start up. Its constant as if something is worng with the rings. Also how much horsepower do you think is safe to run on the eagle rods? The only reason I ask is b/c I have seen alot of power made out of alot of similar set ups and none had eagle rods. My turbo set up once i break in the motor is going to be the following:

Prescsion SC61
SFP race manifold
Tial 40mm wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
3inch Downpipe w/ 3inch exhaust
2.5 inch intercooler piping
Apexi Skyline Intercooler
Aem EMS w/ wideband
750cc or 880cc injectors

The only reason why i didnt put everything on at once was just incase something went wrong. (what a cowinsidence) ALso still missing a few things off the list
Old 11-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A few things. One, do NOT run (idle) the new motor. This is the WORST thing you can do to it. Do not start it again until you are ready to break it in, and hopefully you didn't wear the crosshatch off already. I know we all get tempted to 'hear' our new motors run, but DON'T DO IT.

Secondly, yes, it's very normal for a brand new motor not to have perfect compression and have some blowby- this is the point of the breakin- you need to get everything settled right by following the general procedure I posted in my last post.

Thirdly-- Go try and break an eagle rod. Crowers being better is not hype- They are in fact a better rod-- but how much better for double the price? That really depends on what you are trying to do with your setup. The biggest load placed on your rod is the tensile load that occurs when the piston changes direction after passing tdc on each stroke. This is a pull on the rod, not a push- and this is the force that breaks many rods. This force increases exponentially with RPMS, meaning if you double the rpms, you double the force squared. i.e. 500 rpms, lets say, 10 lbs/newtons/ whatever, 1000 rpms = 100. 2000 rpms = 1000, ext. The force increases exponentially.
So, you will not have a problem making power within the normal rev range of the motor, but you MIGHT have problems if you decide you want to rev the motor to 10k.
If you already have the eagles, and you aren't going to be racing top fuel / setting world records / etc, you will be fine. Just put them in (leave them in) and forget about it. I doubt they will fail on you.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastgsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Prescsion SC61
SFP race manifold
Tial 40mm wastegate
Tial 50mm BOV
3inch Downpipe w/ 3inch exhaust
2.5 inch intercooler piping
Apexi Skyline Intercooler
Aem EMS w/ wideband
750cc or 880cc injectors

The only reason why i didnt put everything on at once was just incase something went wrong. (what a cowinsidence) ALso still missing a few things off the list</TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll be ok. my setup is something like that and i have confidents in those rods. There are a couple of people that use them and run them pretty hard and havent had a thing go wrong. Running them on the Track and strip.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I switch my rods? (Soon_2b_evil)

what is your set up and how much power and what times are you running? Also if perhaps i did mess the cross hatch up, when i take it apart i will just have to re hone the walls get it back, right. And thanks for the replys, too. Also what type of power do you guys think is around the most I should even attempt to make a goal with the eagle rods?
Old 11-15-2003, 12:52 PM
New User

I have the perfect set of Rods for you! Full-Race i bought them and may wanna get rid of them so let me know! pm me

Modified by DroppedGSR at 1:21 PM 11/19/2003