Notices

The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill - Explanation *New Pics*.

From what I've been reading lately, some people are curious as to what my "Blue Pill" and "Red Pill" turbos actually are. Well, I thought that I'd show people how these analogus terms are used, and how some of my standard and custom designs coincide with the logic. For starters:

Here's a bit of background from a popular movie (I can't seem to remember the name of it for the life of me.. )
__________________________________________________ __________________

Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere, it is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work, or when go to church or when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else, you were born into bondage, born inside a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison for your mind. (long pause, sighs) Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back.
(In his left hand, Morpheus shows a blue pill.)

Morpheus: You take the blue pill and the story ends. You wake in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. (a red pill is shown in his other hand) You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

__________________________________________________ __________________

The point of creating 2 separate design of turbos is to give people the option of the 2 types of turbos that people seem to most characterize with the setup that they are creating. These are not just ONE type of turbo; rather, they represent a theme (based upon the engine application) of several turbos that could meet the best needs of the client. Here's an explanation of each..

The "BLUE PILL" is a more subtle turbo, that keeps you in reality. In real terms, it means that the turbo concentrates on a smooth, broad powerband, more torque, and a solid upper band up to redline, concentrating on efficiency. This one is mainly for engines that are going to a max whp of about 400whp, but concentrates upon the torque more than anything else. An option that is available is that the compressor cover is blue. Though Justateg's was a ceramic silver.
Most of these turbos offered are Journal bearing, with the exception of the custom designed GT32 ,GT28,and GT28RS. These are a good street and road race application

<U>A GT3251 "Blue Pill"</U>

The "RED PILL" is much more aggressive, and "shows you how deep the rabbit hole goes". This one has a much more aggressive band that concentrates on peak power. Lag is a bit more noticeable in these series, and the smaller red pills have more of an upper band than the Blue Pills, and still have good torque, but seriously concentrates on peak power. This is a high level street/strip combo that unleash utter destruction to those that come against it. These are the more enjoyable applications to make, of course. These are more for 350whp-600whp turbo people. Built engines are recommended to utilize the potential of these units while the blue pills are more for stock engines going about as far as 325whp. These turbos could easily be both Journal Bearing or Ball-bearing configuration and are in both E covers and S covers.

<U>A GT3257 Red Pill</U>

Below are 2 more "Red Pills", but in the first picture the person wanted a sleeper engine bay look, and decided Black was his color. Typically, these have a Red compressor cover.

Another example of a more aggressive "RED PILL" that I just finished.

This one "goes far down the rabbit hole" at a capable 500whp.

<U>GT30R Red Pill a.k.a "Silver Bullet"</U>

The purpose of using 2 categories is so that when it comes to the type of response they're looking for in a turbo, they don't try and waste time w/ specification numbers and measurements that they may not fully understand, and wind up confused by other turbo aficianados that may have a "bandwagon" mentality from others' experiences, or just aren't sure which measurements mean other than "T3/T4". In many cases there are over 20 different applications that the average H-T users may know or at least have heard of. This also keeps the designers of the turbos the option to keep their configurations and ideas protected while at the same time not make the client feel as though the designers are holding out on them in terms of information about the $800-$1500 average purchase. There's nothing worse than configuring a design that took hours just to have the client (or potential client) take those design measurements, and go low-ball shopping for a better deal (though w/ Garrett's new philosophy, this is not that likely to happen. ) With these new series of turbos, in this case everyone wins.

I'd like to get some feedback on this, and know your MATURE and INTELLIGENT thoughts and opinions from both H-Ters and my fellow Turbo Gurus alike. (You know who you are.) And please..... Use real english.. If you're too lazy to type correctly so that others can understand your point, please do not post.

The Shodan.

Modified by TheShodan at 6:11 AM 10/11/2005
Old 08-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill (TheShodan)

and just for the record. that 3rd turbo is mine . 500whp on pump gas here we come
Old 08-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill (wantboost)

Oh yeah.. those pics came in handy for my example. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no problem. im sitting here at my pc staring at them *drool* i cant wait to get it. thanks for all of your help. i will be coming to you soon for another turbo maybe more
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill - Explanation. (TheShodan)

I like it. It might be cool to do a graph, with spool-up on one axis with max-power on the other.

Then you place various popular turbo configurations along this graph (which would just happen to go from blue to red). This way, your customers could look at the graph and choose the point that best reflects their priorities. Just a thought...
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that third turbo looks hott! i like the pc on it. Do you do coatings in black for thermal stuff?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">500whp on pump gas here we come </TD></TR></TABLE>

just go for 600 on pump
Old 08-20-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just go for 600 on pump </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I suppose I could say that, but I always like to stay conservative, ya know?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill (RTErnie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTErnie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that third turbo looks hott! i like the pc on it. Do you do coatings in black for thermal stuff? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Silver and Black for the thermal coatings.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mac, I like it.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill - Explanation. (TheShodan)

Looks great Mac
Old 08-20-2005, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They look great. If I had some money or a good job, one of those would be on my car.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: The Shodan's Blue Pill & Red Pill - Explanation. (rhettster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rhettster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like it. It might be cool to do a graph, with spool-up on one axis with max-power on the other.

Then you place various popular turbo configurations along this graph (which would just happen to go from blue to red). This way, your customers could look at the graph and choose the point that best reflects their priorities. Just a thought...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the suggestion, but that is precisely the point as to why I DON'T post those kinds of maps and configurations along a graph. I'm not saying as the though the customer wouldn't know what they're doing, but what they SEE, and what they want out of the setup would be 2 different things. This is where we the designers come in, instead of just a "buffet" of choices. The customer could easily "stuff themselves" with the wrong foods, and wind up with a bad choice.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should put a red and blue pill into a bucket and mix it up and come up with a purple pill that suits the individual that is confused and can't decide which way to go.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

Great concept. I can't waite to get my turbo!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydmcrx)

i like that idea. although i know a little bit about turbos and sizing them to an engine, im still not 100% confident that i would be satisfied with my result. 500whp on pump gas, i like the sound of that...lets see how deep that hole goes!