Notices

Several Questions about b18b setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several Questions about b18b setup

Hi,
towards the end of the month i will be grabbing a b18b for my 95 hatch. I'm not even gonna go into my reasons for choosing a non-vtec motor(u will all just get mad if i tell u). So here are my questions.

-what are the flow differences and chamber differences between the b18b head, and say a b16a or b18c head (vtec head)

-what is the compression of the b18b stock. im under the impression it is 9.6:1, is that right?

-how much boost have u guys run on a stock b18b?

-im planning on a t3/t4 turbo setup. im thinking maybe 15lbs safely?

-how far can the factory fuel pump be pushed without needing to be upgraded?

-how big of injectors for this setup?

- i will be going to an aftermarket cam(probably fairly radical) so keep this in mind

thats basically it for now.

thanks for any help,
Jordan

Old 08-20-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Several Questions about b18b setup (oldcarguy85)

To answer a few of the questions

Compression on a B18B
9.4:1 (JDM)
9.2:1 (USDM)

Replaced your factory fuel pump, i suggest a walbro 255, for 100$ theres no reason to push the factory pump.

For the numbers of how much boost people run on a stock LS, check here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1323059

You're not giving enough information to provide injector advice, but i would suggest RC550's

I would read throught that 243+ page thread and look at other peoples builds.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Several Questions about b18b setup (Public Enemy)

thanks for the info.

well a lot of my setup will depend on flow numbers and chamber design of the b18b head (seeing as this is a HUGE part of cam choice). i have a strong suspicion no one is goin to have any of this info though. also, im planning on using stock intake manifold.... exhaust wise, haven;t made my mind up on manifold/ turbo header yet. ill be using uberdata for tuning.

just out of curiosity, can my stock ecu (for the d15) run the b18b? i don;t see why not. i mean the factory program will obvously be way off, but i'll be tuning it anyway.

thanks again,
Jordan
Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 AM

anyone?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 PM

Are you talking about the D15B swapped car?, if so thats a VTEC ecu, you will have to run a non-vtec. Chip it and tune it.

Since you are wanting to run an aggressive cam you would want to port and polish that head extensively,because of this a stock Intake manifold's poor flow would be a huge restriciton on your build, I would definately upgrade the intake manifold and have it port matched to the head.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oldcarguy85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,
towards the end of the month i will be grabbing a b18b for my 95 hatch. I'm not even gonna go into my reasons for choosing a non-vtec motor(u will all just get mad if i tell u).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

man, i dont know why you think this, I would take a b18b as a stock boosted motor anyday....

awesome startin point
Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Several Questions about b18b setup (Topdawgg)

this is exactly what im saying.. no reason for vtec at all, except for economy. and as far as porting and polishing... people don't realize that u really don't increase your flow numbers that much with porting and polishing, especially on a head that flows well from the factory (still don't know actual flow numbers). and because it will be a boosted motor, theres really no reason for it. i've been building engines my whole life, just never a honda, because i've never gotten into the whole honda thing. in fact, ive been against it for quite a long time, but it is a nice package for autocrossing, which is what i want to do (NOT a good package for drag racing however)

thanks,
Jordan