Notices

Searched... no answers: oil on turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched... no answers: oil on turbine?

Hey, i just recieved my used (under 300miles) Garret t3/t4 turbo in the mail today. The user i bought it from (not going to reveal name yet) did not mention any probelms with the turbo, and seeing how it was barily used, it should be in almost mint condition. Overall, it is

<U>Todapwr please contact me about this turbo!!!!</U>
conact me: pm on h-t
aim: igfrequency
email: frequency0187@***.net

it looks clean and fresh on the compressor side and on the exterior:

but the only thing that i noticed was oil inside of the exhaust housing.... Does this mean it's a bad seal? Could it leak during shipping? what's the deal?

Comparison Picture:

i just wanna know if i paid for a messed up turbo. I dont even wanna have to deal with this **** please tell me it's gonna be ok

Modified by iGfrequency at 12:00 AM 10/22/2004

Modified by iGfrequency at 12:36 AM 10/22/2004

Modified by iGfrequency at 12:36 AM 10/22/2004
Old 10-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

praying for it to be ok...

bump
Old 10-21-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (iGfrequency)

it's just oil in the terbine coated inside. Nothing in the compressor. He described there was no shaft play and the wheel turns so the turbo should run fine, but it'll just burn oil through the exhaust.

what u all think?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:50 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (Silverbullet86)

I think smoking coming out is never a good thing....
Old 10-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

UNLESS ITS COMMING FROM UR REAR TIRES WHILE UR ON UR SIDE!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

may i mention i never used it when in my possesion. this is the look striaght out of the shipping box.

could the way it was sitting in the box while shipping cause oil leak of some sort?

Old 10-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iGfrequency)

U've been DUKED.. i'd demand a refund.. that turbo is toast... my brother's turbo was burning oil and its turbine wheel wasn't even that soaked like urs is..

the minute u put that on and the housing heats up, you'll probably get MADD smoke and it wont go away...

ya should have asked for pics of the turbo b4 u bought it and made sure it was gonna be the one u're purchasing.. also , should have asked for pics of the comp and turbine wheel, just to be safe.. would have savved u on this headache...

GL gettin ya $$ back... to the guy who sold this turbo to ya...
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i think it's time to reveal the seller.... i didnt really want to because if he really is legit, this might hurt his reputation.

1. i did have pics
2. he had a vouch

here's my link: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1012611

user: todapwr

http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/t...03304
This proves that i just got it today at 5pm. there's no way i did this to the turbo myself. it was shipped like this....

he looks like a legit guy in all his other posts... why would he screw me over? and the pics of the turbo look completely fine. im confused....
Old 10-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92HB_HB)

yeah that's probably a bad seal. You never want oil in any housing. Although from the picture he took, there was nothing on it. ?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that's probably a bad seal. You never want oil in any housing. Although from the picture he took, there was nothing on it. ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly why im confused.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine? (iGfrequency)

you should be able to put it through a parts washer and it will clean up fine. most auto dealers have them, see if they would be willing to help you out
Old 10-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine? (turboteg2nv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should be able to put it through a parts washer and it will clean up fine. most auto dealers have them, see if they would be willing to help you out</TD></TR></TABLE>

the oil that it currently on the wheel isn't the problem, that can burn off eventually.. his real problem lies in the seals.. its gonna burn and leak oil until u fix the seals..

just to be certain, put the turbo on and run it for a day or 2.. then you can ultimately determine if the seals are bad..
Old 10-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine? (92HB_HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboteg2nv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should be able to put it through a parts washer and it will clean up fine. most auto dealers have them, see if they would be willing to help you out</TD></TR></TABLE>

i actually have a parts washer in my Auto Tech class.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the oil that it currently on the wheel isn't the problem, that can burn off eventually.. his real problem lies in the seals.. its gonna burn and leak oil until u fix the seals..

just to be certain, put the turbo on and run it for a day or 2.. then you can ultimately determine if the seals are bad..</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, you think that there would be this much oil in there from two days of shipping? why woudl there be oil in there anyways after he took it off his car. Could it be possible HIS motor blew and oil was spit out on to the turbine?

we really need Todapwr to talk here. Any body delt wtih him before? Sorry todapwr, if you are a legit guy, im sorry for sparking thoughts about your legitimacy, but if you were in my position you'd do the same thing.
im scared and worried for my money
Old 10-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how much did u buy it for anyways?? and what was he reason for sellin it??
Old 10-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much did u buy it for anyways?? and what was he reason for sellin it??</TD></TR></TABLE>

475$ shipped.

reason: ummm i cant remember. i know he said NOTHING about it needing a rebuild.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MAN, u got RIPPED OFF.. you can buy those turbos for like $550 brand new.... I'd demand my $$ back.. if he doesn't give ur ur $$ back, he's a SCAMMER, no mattter what.. IT doesn't matter if he's been a good seller in the past..

GL gettin ya money back..
Old 10-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MAN, u got RIPPED OFF.. you can buy those turbos for like $550 brand new.... I'd demand my $$ back.. if he doesn't give ur ur $$ back, he's a SCAMMER, no mattter what.. IT doesn't matter if he's been a good seller in the past..

GL gettin ya money back..</TD></TR></TABLE>

it only had like 200miles on it. basically brand new therefore price close to brand new price. is there no possible explaination for this oil other then bad seal?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just found out from one of todapwr's vouches that

1. it does have extremely low milage

2. todapwr blew his motor with this turbo one

How possible is it that the oil exhausted when he blew his motor is just sitting in the turbo now? Maybe it is a perfect turbo just his oil is in my turbo right now?
could that be a reason?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for the night.

how can i sleep when i have a turbo looking like this
Old 10-21-2004, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I can't figure out why there's oil in there now and not in the pics. I'm confident there's a good explanation for this and Hung will for sure right the situation...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">MAN, u got RIPPED OFF.. you can buy those turbos for like $550 brand new.... I'd demand my $$ back.. if he doesn't give ur ur $$ back, he's a SCAMMER, no mattter what.. IT doesn't matter if he's been a good seller in the past..

GL gettin ya money back..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, you certainly are a ********. Calm it down a little for us. Way to jump to conclusions, too.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iGfrequency &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just found out from one of todapwr's vouches that

1. it does have extremely low milage

2. todapwr blew his motor with this turbo one

How possible is it that the oil exhausted when he blew his motor is just sitting in the turbo now? Maybe it is a perfect turbo just his oil is in my turbo right now?
could that be a reason?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very possible. Stop jumping to conclusions. How can you sleep? Quite easily. Worste case scenario is the two of you have to deal with returning and refunding but I can tell you that your turbo is most likely NOT blown so relax and get in touch with the guy. Not a big deal. I bought an intercooler of a friend with a similiar situation. Brand new setup but blew his motor very quickly. It took me 2days to drain the oil out of the frickin intercooler.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">U've been DUKED.. i'd demand a refund.. that turbo is toast... my brother's turbo was burning oil and its turbine wheel wasn't even that soaked like urs is..

the minute u put that on and the housing heats up, you'll probably get MADD smoke and it wont go away...

ya should have asked for pics of the turbo b4 u bought it and made sure it was gonna be the one u're purchasing.. also , should have asked for pics of the comp and turbine wheel, just to be safe.. would have savved u on this headache...

GL gettin ya $$ back... to the guy who sold this turbo to ya...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMDA9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, you certainly are a ********. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the seller really well. The turbo was only up and runnning for a few days. He blew up his motor as he mentioned. bump
Old 10-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine? (Snail EK)

He only drove on it for 2 days, his motor blew up. His number 3 cylinder was low on comp. So he gave up and pulled everything apart and sold it. Brand new turbo it could be oil from his motor.

Modified by wickedhatch18 at 6:44 AM 10/22/2004
Old 10-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

$475 is a rip , I can get it for $500 shipped brand new
Old 10-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine? (TurboSmart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSmart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$475 is a rip , I can get it for $500 shipped brand new</TD></TR></TABLE>

it basically is brand new, so it's really not that bad

also, say he's motor was to blow, oil squirts on turbine, he pulls turbo off of car still with some exhaust/oil residue on turbo, it sits around for a ahile and the residue comes to a dry state ( like shown in the picture), then he ships it where the turbo becomes pretty hot in the fedex truck, the slugg is lossened and i receieve turbo with a "oil probelm"?

is there anyway to wash out the turbo myself? brake cleaner?

Quick Reply: Searched... no answers: oil on turbine?