Notices

screen vs filter (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default screen vs filter (searched)

this is for a daily driver

Screen- if i was going to run a screen, which type of material would be best? has anyone been running a screen for a long time?

Filter- i know, knock off brand filters suck, so im either going to go with the apexi or k&n. ive heard of ppl claiming they have gained power by adding a filter and others claiming they have lost significant power.
-is it better to make an intake arm or just stick the filter directly on the turbo (i can fit a filter either way on my car)
Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: screen vs filter (nlc)

Good question I was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nlc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is for a daily driver

Screen- if i was going to run a screen, which type of material would be best? has anyone been running a screen for a long time?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont use a screen unless you want to put loads of premature wear on your turbo. Just put a good K&N filter on it. Trust me you will be happy in the long run
Old 01-20-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Re: screen vs filter (TeStUdO)

screen here --&gt; 4k miles and the blades are very clean

screen material ----&gt; homedepot aluminum door screen stuff with a cheapo clamp to clamp it down.

I have yet to have anyone say it's so bad and causes horrible decay. Although compared to a real filter it's true it won't be bad until you can get an arm and stuff
Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screen vs filter (adseguy)

Id go with a filter.

Seriously, why dont you ever see NA guys, putting screens on their intake end?

and yet, have you ever seen what sticks on a filter? Filters out even most micro particles that you can barely see. Tap your intake filter on the floor, and you see what I mean.. Or would you like to have all the crap go into you motor?

I doesnt hurt performance to run a nice filter. Be safe then sorry in the long run.

Dooh, blades on the turbo dont get messed up for reasons, the screen filter only small objects etc... Object that cant damage the blade..

But consider smalller particles that pass through the turbo into the motor....

FOR EXAMPLE.. (under throttle)
Throw a big rock at the screen.. It will help prevent turbo from breaking. Due to screen block the object off....

Now, throw a handful of BAKING FLOUR at the SCREEN.. That thing will suck RIGHT IN!

So, why not get something that can prevent both objects and particles from going in? A FILTER. COMMON SENSE@

But compare to where I live, in albq, new mexico... Goddamn does it get dusty here... I would hate to see all that **** in my motor. Maybe if your in a nicer location that is wet always... Even though..

IT DOESNT HURT TO RUN A FILTER!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

filter chokes the turbo. run a velocity stack and a screen
Old 01-20-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: screen vs filter (TurboSmart)

wheres the best place to get k&n or apexi filters?
Old 01-21-2005, 03:37 AM

how about just stacking like 2-3 screens?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A good large, high quality filter doesn't choke the turbo any more than a piece of screen. The surface area of the screen is significant, although it may not seem like it. In either case, I'd be willing to give up a few hp for long-term durability. I've always used filters, not screens. Even if anyone here thinks a screen allows better flow, so what, a proper cold air induction system with a high quality filter will provide dense, cool air which makes power. Find one factory turbo car with a screen on it, and I'll eat my shorts.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (ForceFedDetroit)

I got news for ya, a screen will make less power than a filter, i've done it time and time again on the dyno. Compare the surface area of a screen to that of a filter...
Old 01-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm suprised no company has made a screen-sized filter
Old 01-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got news for ya, a screen will make less power than a filter, i've done it time and time again on the dyno. Compare the surface area of a screen to that of a filter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had the same experience... You get more surface area with a filter than with a screen... although the wire seems insignificant it is enough resistance to impeed horsepower just a bit...

I use a UNI universal filter that is made for motorcycles... it worked well until it fell off yesterday on the freeway now I'm running a screen until a new one comes in...
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (ForceFedDetroit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ForceFedDetroit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A good large, high quality filter doesn't choke the turbo any more than a piece of screen. The surface area of the screen is significant, although it may not seem like it. In either case, I'd be willing to give up a few hp for long-term durability. I've always used filters, not screens. Even if anyone here thinks a screen allows better flow, so what, a proper cold air induction system with a high quality filter will provide dense, cool air which makes power. Find one factory turbo car with a screen on it, and I'll eat my shorts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used to run a screen on my larger turbos, and in the end for what people pay nowadays for Ball-bearing turbos, you can't afford NOT to have a quality filter on that turbo. The performance loss is neglegible. The long term effects and piece of mind are priceless.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Running a screen is a bad idea. It might block rocks and larger debris from getting in your turbo, but you're still sucking tons of dirt and dust molecules into your engine. Do you really want that?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSmart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">filter chokes the turbo. run a velocity stack and a screen </TD></TR></TABLE>

Surface area owns you.

If we only lost 15 RWHP on a friends 840 RWHP blown LS1 camaro, I'm sure running a big K&N isn't going to cost you 20 billion HP
Old 01-21-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: screen vs filter (@lbert)

damn, the apexi's are so damn pricey. i think im gunna run a k&n, wheres the cheapest place to buy them at? im running a screen until it comes in
Old 01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screen vs filter (@lbert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @lbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Surface area owns you.

If we only lost 15 RWHP on a friends 840 RWHP blown LS1 camaro, I'm sure running a big K&N isn't going to cost you 20 billion HP </TD></TR></TABLE>

In that case, you better tell these guys to put filters on their turbo/supercharger setups

Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSmart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In that case, you better tell these guys to put filters on their turbo/supercharger setups
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those guys aren't running screens and they don't care about reliability.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got news for ya, a screen will make less power than a filter, i've done it time and time again on the dyno. Compare the surface area of a screen to that of a filter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seen it proven !
Old 01-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re:

I'm thinking about running one of those UNI motorcycle filters too....but do you think thsoe will flow as well as a k&n? They're so cheap it's hard to say no!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:35 PM

The SOLUTION: Stainless steel filter...best of both worlds

"The Blitz mesh filter is made from a fine 200 micron mesh, allowing good filtration but with minimum air flow restriction."
Old 01-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screen vs filter (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Those guys aren't running screens and they don't care about reliability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats correct
Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screen vs filter (RACEPAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RACEPAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats correct </TD></TR></TABLE>

...And I've been running my daily driven car for 3 years on the same turbo with no filter and no problem... it also depends on the location of the turbo since mine sits out yonder (lovefab sidewinder)

Also, try dynoing a car with a filter DIRECTLY on the turbo inlet vs Screen....
Old 01-21-2005, 12:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboSmart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets see, RACE CAR, RACE CAR, and the third car is running some semblance of filters. How can it be finished and running when there isn't even a belt on it. On an all out race car making 1500+ horsepower like the first one, or even the second car, which I believe is Dave King's and making 1200+ horsepower they want all the power they can get and their motors are only running for a minute and a half, 2 minutes tops. For a street car a big cone or a panel filter isn't costing you very much power at all.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: screen vs filter (EGfastback22R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGfastback22R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"The Blitz mesh filter is made from a fine 200 micron mesh, allowing good filtration but with minimum air flow restriction." </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think thats jsut marketing BS^. Every time I clean a stainless filter I get far less crap out of it than a K&N one.

Quick Reply: screen vs filter (searched)