Notices

SC Q?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Q?

Noob in Forced Induction, so please hit me with some info. What are the ways to keep a SC cooler in high boost?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: SC Q? (dominican luder)

an intercooler.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: SC Q? (street dream gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by street dream gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: SC Q? (street dream gsr)

wouldn't i need something to keep the SC cool becuz that is what heats up the air? as in, its the compression of air inside the SC that heats up the air.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dominican luder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wouldn't i need something to keep the SC cool becuz that is what heats up the air? as in, its the compression of air inside the SC that heats up the air.</TD></TR></TABLE>

From my understanding there is nothing inside the supercharger to warm it up as far as coolant goes. But you must understand the principal of heat transfer. An easy examply is a coffee, it's warm, put your hands on the mug and your hands will start warming up. Well, the mug is your engine and your hand is the supercharger. The easiest way to keep it colder is by making sure the air around it is cold, or in other words, an intercooler.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: SC Q? (ludesrv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesrv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From my understanding there is nothing inside the supercharger to warm it up as far as coolant goes. But you must understand the principal of heat transfer. An easy examply is a coffee, it's warm, put your hands on the mug and your hands will start warming up. Well, the mug is your engine and your hand is the supercharger. The easiest way to keep it colder is by making sure the air around it is cold, or in other words, an intercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO!!!

an intercooler keeps the charged AIR cool, the SC gets the air hot BY COMPRESSING IT!

you cant really cool the SC itself.

ORIGINAL POSTER: i dont think we or you know exactly what you are asking
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Since you've got a prelude, I assume you're using a JRSC kit, which sits on the intake manifold, leaving no room for piping to get to/from an intercooler. The only way to cool the charge on that kit is by using water or methanol injection. Do a search for "water injection" or "meth injection" here or on google, read about it for a few hours, then come back if you have questions.

If you're going to be running higher boost, it is strongly recommended that you port your charger's housing, otherwise temperatures will exceed the safety zone of the charger, and it will wear out quickly. See here for info on why porting is a good idea: http://www.theoldone.com/artic....html

To answer your original question: the SC itself does get rather hot, but cooling it (the housing) will have little effect on your intake temps. There's just not enough surface area inside the charger for any external cooling of the housing to have any effect. That's why you should only worry about things that will have an effect on the temps of the intake air, not the charger itself.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: SC Q? (borat)

Wow. that website knows there ****.I will for shore be in contact with thoes people.
thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys make an aftercooler for JRSC Hondas. Its mostly for the B series superchargers, but they have done them for the D series as well. I have some of the Laminova cores that they use for their kit for sale if you decide you want to try and do your own setup.

http://www.lhtperformance.net/products.html

Also, there's tons of info in this rather large thread about superchargers. There's definitely some info about inter/aftercooling:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1214810
Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 AM

Default Re: SC Q? (Jaker)

ya i tried to read that thing and i'm like 1/4 thu the hole thing. Also LHT dosnt make it for the H. But when it comes to that part, i'll keep you in mind if i have to take that road.Thanks
Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no room in the H22 manifold for the cores.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: SC Q? (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's no room in the H22 manifold for the cores.</TD></TR></TABLE>
what do you mean?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM

He means what you already said, there's no room (in a prelude bay at least) for the LHT aftercooler.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SC Q? (borat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by borat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He means what you already said, there's no room (in a prelude bay at least) for the LHT aftercooler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually what he means is that the intake manifold for the Prelude H22 JRSC doesn't have enough room for the intercooler cores to fit inside, or there's not enough room in the engine bay for the "expanded" manifold once the cores are installed.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM

Im going to contact the people at "the old one" about there SC. The sound like the have made an very efficient SC. Has anyone used theres or knows some one who has?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Endyn modifies existing Eaton M62 blowers by changing the ports in the case. It's pricey, they charge $1500, but it does work. You can get more air with less heat with a modified blower.

Edit - I have one, used it for a while, made 300 WHP on a B-series -w- a JRSC.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Endyn modifies existing Eaton M62 blowers by changing the ports in the case. It's pricey, they charge $1500, but it does work. You can get more air with less heat with a modified blower.

Edit - I have one, used it for a while, made 300 WHP on a B-series -w- a JRSC.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so wouldn't it be better to buy there kit? If i have to buy the JRSC and then send to Endyn on top of that. ???
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM

I don't think Endyn makes a kit for the H-series, at least that I've heard of. Typically you buy a JR kit and just send them the blower.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Endyn never actually produced the kit posted on their Web site for sale, something about legal or licensing issues or something like that. There was much hatred and discussion about it a while back, pretty much like there is with anything Endyn-related.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually recently suffered "the wrath of Larry". I'll tell you all about it sometime when I've got an hour!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 AM

They don't make it for the H,hu? That sucks. From what i read, the had all the bases covered when it came to SC. Even with the intercooler. So are they trustworthy? With there work and the money.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dominican luder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So are they trustworthy? With there work and the money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are trustworthy. Just don't try and talk to them more than about once every 6 months (and they will take a long time). My motor was in their hands at the end of June. At the end of September, they had fitted the crank bearings, align honed the crank journals, posted the block and bored the block. I was checking in once every 2 weeks. I was prepared to wait however long it was going to take, because I knew it would be done quicker than if I did it myself. I've just been too busy with work for the last year or so, and there's no end in sight.

I have built several motors in the past, and I know I could do it myself, but I just don't have time. Larry was going to do everything. I sent him 6 boxes of parts, and he was sending back a built D16 M62 supercharged motor, broken in and tuned on his dyno and ready to bolt into my car and go racing.

I called one Monday morning, and was told "Larry's working on the valve grinder". I said I'll call back, and Josh said "why don't I get Larry to email you". I thought that would be awesome, so I waited. I waited a week, and got no email. I phoned back. "Larry's busy". OK, I'll phone back. Next day "they're gone to lunch". I phoned back. No answer. I phoned back. No answer. I learned a long time ago that there's no point in leaving a message. They don't return my calls.

I tried once more to reach them, and Larry answered the phone: "If you keep calling here, we're going to pack up your stuff, and send it back to you". "We're really busy trying to get a motor out to Baja, and we've got 2 more motors to finish, and then we're getting to yours. We can't get anything done if all we ever do is answer then phone".

Needless to say, I was taken aback. I kind of said well, OK, and hung up. It took me about 30 seconds to start fuming. I decided then and there that I didn't deserve this kind of treatment. I called right back and said "Larry, go ahead and pack my stuff up and send it back".

A week later, I hadn't heard a word, and then I get an email saying "your stuff's ready to ship, where do you want it to go?" I replied saying that I had hoped we would have come to our senses by now, but gave the shipping address. A day later I got another email saying "is that a residence, and will the delivery truck need a power tailgate".

So that was the end of my dealings with Endyn. I had heard the horror stories in the past, and never really understood, or never wanted to form any opinions without 1st having had some reason for a bad opinion. I greatly respect the work that Larry has done for the import community, and I feel that his parts and his work are top notch. Too bad he is such a terrible customer service person, and that he is too busy to care about loosing business.

I have spent probably $4,000+ dollars with Endyn, before this latest engine build, and was looking at another $4,000 + on the latest build. He has "set me up" in the past with really fantastic pricing on a couple items. I got a super deal on the rebuild and porting of my M62, and he sold me a Clutchmasters clutch for my build for dirt cheap. All I wanted was 5 mintues of his time once every couple of weeks to see where things were at. I don't think I was aksing too much. I didn't even really need to actually talk to him. He could easily have sent me an email with the status. To be perfectly fair, he did do that once or twice during the 3 months that he had my stuff.

Do what you see fit, but beware should you catch him on a "bad day".
Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 AM

Wow I work with some tuner guys that have there own shops and they all have a little bit of that in them. So i guess that the less work i give them, the better it comes out,hu? I just want an efficient SC and if they can do that, that would be grate. All the block work i can do myself, but when it comes to the SC. I'm monkey ****. 300 whp sounds pretty good if all i have to do is be kind of ignored for a bit(and money,lots of money).
Thanks guys for you help. rounds on me
Also if you have some tips on what to look out for or a good set up, I would really appreciated.