is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter?

not exactly chicken wire but that mesh i see people use. people tell me their turbos stopped workin because they used that and other people say its safe dont worry about it. anyone have personal experiences with them or know if its safe or not?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (illestaznpimp)

if you can fit a filter that use it
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (illestaznpimp)

and if you can't fit a filter in there, what do you do?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It'll be just fine. If you're worried about **** getting in your turbo (and I've never seen one that was ruined by running a screen), get some pantyhose and put that over it.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (hondaeg8)

How much room do you have? Do you have at least 3.5" of space?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much room do you have? Do you have at least 3.5" of space?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ultimately want to run a filtered setup as well, but i'm running two aluminum mesh screens cross hatched together. i dont even have 3" of room even though the turbo inlet is 3".
Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (Spec R)

i made 1 horsepower more without a filter on a 500whp car....... and it was a cheap autozone filter i was using. Keep the filter
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (Spec R)

How is the turbo going to suck in any air at all then if you have less than 3" of space haha?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illestaznpimp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not exactly chicken wire but that mesh i see people use. people tell me their turbos stopped workin because they used that and other people say its safe dont worry about it. anyone have personal experiences with them or know if its safe or not?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not safe end of story. Can you not use a filter? Well yes, but it's just not safe. Engineers put filters on all factory cars for a reason...they filter out dirt. Yea a mesh screen will block rocks, but it's not going to stop all (any) of the dust. Dust is just as bad as a rock. Think of it like this: if you were caught in a bigass sand storm or something like that, would you just breathe like a happy camper or would you cover your eyes/mouth (turbo inlet) with a shirt (a filter)? Let me answer that, if anyone chooses option 1 then you're a complete dumbass haha.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How is the turbo going to suck in any air at all then if you have less than 3" of space haha?

It's not safe end of story. Can you not use a filter? Well yes, but it's just not safe. Engineers put filters on all factory cars for a reason...they filter out dirt. Yea a mesh screen will block rocks, but it's not going to stop all (any) of the dust. Dust is just as bad as a rock. Think of it like this: if you were caught in a bigass sand storm or something like that, would you just breathe like a happy camper or would you cover your eyes/mouth (turbo inlet) with a shirt (a filter)? Let me answer that, if anyone chooses option 1 then you're a complete dumbass haha.</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct
Old 05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (teg racer 877)

you have a good idea with cross hatching the mesh , but I always will run a filter over mesh any day
Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a good idea with cross hatching the mesh , but I always will run a filter over mesh any day </TD></TR></TABLE>

my screens are NOT a permanent solution by any means.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What if there is literally no room for a filter? my clutch line to the tranny is about 1.5-2" away from the turbo inlet. I just have double mesh over it right now, but there is no way I can put a pipe or a filter on it. What do you guys think? Should i put some pantyhose or sumthin in between the mesh?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (chubz0r)

look into motorcycle/atv filters made by a well known company called UNI.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:11 PM
BCICAN

UNI--&gt; http://www.unifilter.com/onlin....html I bet the foam wrap would help. It'd be better than nothing...but I'd keep the mesh screen on there so no foam is sucked in.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:02 AM

ohh yeah i can fit a filter on my turbo, i was just wishing that i can run the mesh and gain horsepower without hurting my turbo. but ill just keep the filter on. thanks everyone!!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks spec r and dunc.

im pretty sure i can fit the "weber carburator with velocity stack" one on the turbo, cuz it looks like it can bend, so it would be touchign the block, but its ok? idk..

what do you guys think?
Old 05-19-2006, 06:55 AM

you can always get one of those jelly-fish looking filters.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (donkiman)

If you do a lot of driving around chicken ranches, the 'chicken wire' would help to keep the feathers out.
Actually the dust/adrasives in non-filtered air will shorten the effective life of your engine. Good idea to continue using a filter. Most of the perceived benefits of not filtering come from increased air intake sound not actual increases in horsepower.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (purpleh22)

Not running an air filter is just plain dumb..... get the crap out of your mind about the turbo, what would you rather replace, your turbo or your engine and/or both just for a louder whistle and 10hp?.... not I
Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can always get one of those jelly-fish looking filters. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do u have a link for that?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1358084
Old 05-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (purpleh22)

I ruined my personal turbo using a foam style filter when it was sucked in.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 PM

find a way to run a filter, period.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If a filter alone will not fit, fabricate an intake tube...you will actually get cooler air tot he turbo this way, which is good for a few extra hp.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter? (Spunkster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spunkster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If a filter alone will not fit, fabricate an intake tube...you will actually get cooler air tot he turbo this way, which is good for a few extra hp.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is easy to say when there is no PS in the way looking at that pic......

Quick Reply: is it safe to run chicken wire on my turbo or should i keep my filter?