Notices

safe boost for the d16 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default safe boost for the d16 engine?

what is the maximum boost i can run on a d16 engine with stock internils at 140,000? engine runs great
Old 12-06-2004, 09:22 PM

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (thruvines87)

you are going to get so flamed. there is no safe amount of boost but on stock internals you dont want to go higher than 10 psi but with yours i wouldnt go more than 6 or 8 psi
Old 12-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (civictildeath)

I run 10psi daily and had a spike to 15 psi a few days ago (whoops)
Old 12-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (Blazin Civic)

<Insert Bauley's 11ty billion picture>

I run 8 daily and 10 at the track.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (thruvines87)

Even if your engine runs great - I wouldn't even boost it. If I were you, i would build it for boost. That way your car would last A LOT longer, rather than going the cheap way, which will last you for only 6 months. Im not going to say how much boost you should have on a stock block and head because I wouldn't recommend it. Do it right the first time! It will save you in the long run.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (crzyfool24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if your engine runs great - I wouldn't even boost it. If I were you, i would build it for boost. That way your car would last A LOT longer, rather than going the cheap way, which will last you for only 6 months. Im not going to say how much boost you should have on a stock block and head because I wouldn't recommend it. Do it right the first time! It will save you in the long run. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How will it "save you in the long run"? I've been running at 8 daily on a D16y7 with 125,xxx miles on it for over a year and a half. The money I could have used to build the block before I put the kit on has sat in the bank and accrued interest. I don't think you have to be a scholar to figure out that prematurely adding wear parts to a motor, when leaving the money to make more money in the bank is not "saving you money in the long run".
Old 12-06-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How will it "save you in the long run"? I've been running at 8 daily on a D16y7 with 125,xxx miles on it for over a year and a half. The money I could have used to build the block before I put the kit on has sat in the bank and accrued interest. I don't think you have to be a scholar to figure out that prematurely adding wear parts to a motor, when leaving the money to make more money in the bank is not "saving you money in the long run".</TD></TR></TABLE>

pwnage

just make sure your engine is mechanically sound before you boost it and you will have no problems on stock internals.

i think the propper compression would be 185 on all cylinders for a d16, someone correct me if im worng please bc im not 100%
Old 12-06-2004, 09:40 PM

All I really was sayin is that I wouldnt recommend it. If your at low boost thats fine but I still wouldnt't do it. Im the type of person that likes things dont RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. If your gonna boost your car - might as well prepare the engine for boost. Im just not cheap that way. But I guess I just have higher goals than you. Anyone can run 8lbs of boost all day with no prob. I have plans for 15-20lbs of boost. If your gonna go turbo, might as well go all the way.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crzyfool24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I really was sayin is that I wouldnt recommend it. If your at low boost thats fine but I still wouldnt't do it. Im the type of person that likes things dont RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. If your gonna boost your car - might as well prepare the engine for boost. Im just not cheap that way. But I guess I just have higher goals than you. Anyone can run 8lbs of boost all day with no prob. I have plans for 15-20lbs of boost. If your gonna go turbo, might as well go all the way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Because my 225 whp and 13.8 second 1/4 mile isn't enough for a daily driver that gets almost 20k put on it yearly....

EDIT: And honestly, I don't care to argue with you about it. Bottom line is, I have a boosted car that runs great, and is quick. You have a non boosted car, and therefore, no way to argue with me.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM

...."done" RIGHT THE......***
Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because my 225 whp and 13.8 second 1/4 mile isn't enough for a daily driver that gets almost 20k put on it yearly....</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pwnage </TD></TR></TABLE>

AGAIN!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:43 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because my 225 whp and 13.8 second 1/4 mile isn't enough for a daily driver that gets almost 20k put on it yearly....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe that's okay for you, you ******* slacktard bitchface!

No, but seriously, you run 13.8's? I had no idea. What's your trap speed look like? Goddamn, every time I read one of these threads I want to build a turbokit and boost like a crackfiend.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...."done" RIGHT THE......***</TD></TR></TABLE>

You still have NO ARGUMENT. You can say "DONE RIGHT THE" all you'd like. How is my car that has 0 reliability issues (only time it's ever left me stranded is because I broke an oil pressure sensor changing my oil and I panicked instead of checking it) for more than 30k miles on a stock motor not done right? No, I may not be able to run 20 lbs of boost, but honestly, I can still smoke my tires all the way through 2nd gear. Explain to me what you plan to do with more power than that on the street in a daily driver and how you think that having more power on tap will make the car any better?

You can go ahead and spend the money to build that block. I've got a spare, that I got for free, sitting in my garage as we speak. When my stocker blows up, I'll toss that on in and run it for another 130k and have 1000 dollars in my bank account to spend on other things.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Maybe that's okay for you, you ******* slacktard bitchface!

No, but seriously, you run 13.8's? I had no idea. What's your trap speed look like? Goddamn, every time I read one of these threads I want to build a turbokit and boost like a crackfiend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I trapped at just over 100 mph. It was like 100.8. God I miss the track.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...."done" RIGHT THE......***</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know you can edit your posts right??

g00d **** Ricey on the ownage and on your car.

"if you're gonna go boost, go all the way"
dont think everyones gonna go for 550+ whp man. be realistic!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 PM

Im not sayin that its not enough. 13s is pretty quick but not enough for me. I want to hit high 10s or low 11s. Not too many people are in the area. People all day can run 13s. Big deal. There are so much people now that know how to get to the 13s. Not too much of anyone can get quicker than that. Just like I said - I have higher goals for my car. Once I hit my goal - I will keep moving up. But im done with this convo with you. All I had to say to thru was that I wouldnt recommend it.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I trapped at just over 100 mph. It was like 100.8. God I miss the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn. i trapped 99mph and i ran a 15.6 (horrible launch, spun 1st, 2nd, and clutch slipped)...
Old 12-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im not sayin that its not enough. 13s is pretty quick but not enough for me. I want to hit high 10s or low 11s. Not too many people are in the area. People all day can run 13s. Big deal. There are so much people now that know how to get to the 13s. Not too much of anyone can get quicker than that. Just like I said - I have higher goals for my car. Once I hit my goal - I will keep moving up. But im done with this convo with you. All I had to say to thru was that I wouldnt recommend it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Aaaannnd, you have lost ALL credibility. You WILL not hit an 11, much less a 10 in a streetable Honda Civic. End of story. You are speaking through nothing short of dreams with no experience.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn. i trapped 99mph and i ran a 15.6 (horrible launch, spun 1st, 2nd, and clutch slipped)...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ouch. Was your 60' time like a 6?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:53 PM

When I said "done" right the....I was correcting myself. I didnt know I can edit. I havent got that into it. But

Aaaannnd, you have lost ALL credibility. You WILL not hit an 11, much less a 10 in a streetable Honda Civic. End of story. You are speaking through nothing short of dreams with no experience. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you know what your talking about? My friends dad has a CRX running 11.6 which is a daily driver. Do some research on 11 second civics. Youll be suprised.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you know you can edit your posts right??

g00d **** Ricey on the ownage and on your car.

"if you're gonna go boost, go all the way"
dont think everyones gonna go for 550+ whp man. be realistic!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not sayin everyone is gonna go for that but it is possible.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh! i cant find the timeslip... when i get it, i'll PM you with the #s if you'd like. but it was my first time at the track
Old 12-06-2004, 10:12 PM

and the survey says 8 psi!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:36 PM

Default Re: (blaster834)

decent tune and 8psi is absolutely possible.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: safe boost for the d16 engine? (crzyfool24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crzyfool24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even if your engine runs great - I wouldn't even boost it. If I were you, i would build it for boost. That way your car would last A LOT longer, rather than going the cheap way, which will last you for only 6 months. Im not going to say how much boost you should have on a stock block and head because I wouldn't recommend it. Do it right the first time! It will save you in the long run. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and seriously, who has the money to dish out all the money for an engine build the first time around when turboing a car. Baby steps my man. You boost the stock engine with a piggyback or FMU. You tune it with a standalone. Then you decide to stop and stay.... or you build it. I have never met someone that has straight up built an entire engine for boost the first time around, it just doesn't seem smart to me.

O an BTW, there is a fellow on HT here who is running a b18a into the 11's, stock internals. I know its not a D, but its possible. Then again i wouldn't drive that ******* car on the street on a cold day in hell.

Quick Reply: safe boost for the d16 engine?