Notices

running open downpipe at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running open downpipe at the track

any of you experience boost creep or anything when running open downpipe at the track? im boostin 7lbs with my b18b DRAG3 setup using a joe p manual boost controller. i was thinkin about uncorkin it and gettin more flow for better track times. this a bad idea to do if i just uncork it and run it without checkin to see if it creeps first?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (dlplayboy)

You shouldnt run into any creep problems by allowing the exhaust to flow better. You run into creep when you have smaller diameter piping following larger diameter piping in the exhaust system.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:57 AM
New User

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (HybridKOOP)

rite now... i have a 2.5 downpipe... gutted cat... and 2.5 piping catback. i guess its creating a "bottleneck" effect in my exhaust system because the hollow cat is larger in diameter than my piping. well, since i have no way of testing the cfms being produced by havin a gutted cat on... i figured the worst and assumed that it isnt as efficient as running open downpipe. even with my exhaust setup this way, i havent experienced any boost creep so far. ive just heard stories about guys havin boost creep or boostin more than they should be when they uncork their exhaust and run open downpipe.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:32 AM

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (dlplayboy)

dunno if you care much about this, but one of my good friends ran like that for a few runs w/ an open DP, and right when he turned off his engine, cold air could get into it (having hot air coming out of it while it was on), and it totally fucked up his valves.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (ceemarun)

dunno if you care much about this, but one of my good friends ran like that for a few runs w/ an open DP, and right when he turned off his engine, cold air could get into it (having hot air coming out of it while it was on), and it totally fucked up his valves.
cold air got into his head via the open DP when he shut the engine off? sorry my attention span is short right now what u just type isn't clear to me. that's scary anyhow
Old 07-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (CivicRyda2k)

I'm sorry but I just can't see that happening, especially considering how hot the turbo itself is, any air venturing it's way up the stream would be super heated for a quite while by the extremley hot turbine and manifold before it ever saw the head.

I've run open DP a bunch of times at Moroso, never noticed any boost creep, just the usual quick spike after each shift and then steady boost, but then I've got an EBC watching out for it so.... take a few passes with the MBC set for a slightly lower psi and watch the characteristics of it each pass to see how it reacts.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (CivicRyda2k)

I am running open downpipe daily, and I experience boost creep all of the time. but it could be because i am runnin off of the wastegate without a boost controller. I have a tial 35mm HP wastegate. it ussually goes from 6.5-6.6 psi to about 8 then it stops.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:09 PM

Default Re: running open downpipe at the track (VTC_CiViC)

I'm sorry but I just can't see that happening, especially considering how hot the turbo itself is, any air venturing it's way up the stream would be super heated for a quite while by the extremley hot turbine and manifold before it ever saw the head.

im not pulling any of this from anywhere or nothing. he ran it one day like that, and the next, his valves were just shot. too many people run open DP for that to happen 100% of the time. guess he had bad luck then.