Notices

Running nitrous with a chipped ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running nitrous with a chipped ecu?

I'm looking to get either a zex or nx wet kit and was wondering what type of ecu programs you guys are running with your setups. Or any advice... also as far as plugs go i have denso iridiums right now and was wondering since i just got them a couple of days ago and wanted to see if i would be okay with keeping them? any advice would be great.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Running nitrous with a chipped ecu? (brixity)

What motor?

-walbro fuel pump
-vafc/safc
-wideband useage for a day
-retarded timing

Old 02-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get rid of the plugs, go with NGK BKR7E. . . .
Old 02-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running nitrous with a chipped ecu? (m R g S r)

man,,, i seriously have done all the dont's with nitrous. Even 87 octaine on stock timing with a kenji ECU which i think the timing is pretty damn advanced over stock. I had the MSD retard module, 6aL, all the goodies. I had the NGK -7 plugs which is what i think saved me when i accidentally sprayed with the 87 on full advance. It was a 125 shot direct port on a stock b18c and i know the fuel jets were a little too large, which also helped out.

Honestly if you want to build a i REAL nitrous SYSTEM, not just a kit, plan to spend $2-3k otherwise its hacked...Yes, you can get by with only $500-800. I have before in the past and its worked great. Ideally if you are going with a wet kit, youll want a fuel system dedicated just for your nitrous. SOO much safer, soo much easier to tune your engine with nitrous, doesnt rob fuel from your engine's fuel supply and cause the wierd stall, you can run 110 in the nitrous decicated cell. Thats THE WAY to go if you wanna do it right. And of course a wideband and dyno tuned. Another great thing about it is, you can run 100% on motor passes, use the MSD retard module and run 100% on nitrous too. Instead of detuning your engine while running on motor only just so it runs good on nitrous. Or having your fuel pressure set at 75PSI so when it sprays your pressure doesnt drop like crazy and starve your engine for that splt second. SOOO much involved in doing nitrous the correct way.

Doesnt really matter the ECU. Some basic rules are: retard 2* of timing per 50hp shot, 1 step colder plugs if over 100shot (thats my own rule ) run 93 octaine, make sure the nozzle is NOT right in front of the throttle body, make sure the nozzle fires the shot directly and straight into the intake and not trying to make bend around a corner (you WILL get fuel puddling and have lots of fun) stay away from dry kits, and zex DOES NOT make real power. Its on the same level as the ebay headers with 1.75" collectors. Looks nice, but doesnt quite do the trick. NX is good and N.O.S. is good too. Not to be confused with nos... I ****** hate that word, its not even a word!

PS, i have been a nitrous junkie for years... I could go on forever, but im sure some dick will come in here and say NAAWWZ blows engines and ruin the thread as usual. People blow engines, not nitrous, knowledge and the proper setups own you...

Modified by Ls1 FD3s at 5:02 PM 2/6/2005

Modified by Ls1 FD3s at 5:02 PM 2/6/2005
Old 02-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any other opinions... thanks for the responses so far. so even if i retard my timing at idle the ecu won't advance it enough to damage anything?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In one of my more shady setups, ive sprayed 85hp shot wet, just MSD plug wires, on factory timing, stock OBD1 GSR ECU, sometimes on 87 octaine, AND on stock $1.25/each POS plugs from autozone... DO i reccommend that? NO! but it worked for 5 full bottles for me untill i removed the kit.

Im sure if i did a few nitrous runs in a row or held it too long in 4th something bad would have happened...I only used it when 1/4 mile racing,,, or in only a gear or two breifly on the street. in which the engine's internals apparently didnt get hot enough to cause me problems. Plugs read fine, i had the proper fuel pressure, proper fuel jet, everything worked out fine for me.

I REALLY wonder about those that actually blow up their engines on nitrous, i mean i have done some REALLY REALLY ignorant things to my hondas with nitrous and life has been good. Like those fools that bomb a turbo kit on their cars at 8PSI and run like that for years untuned. Luck or some **** i guess...
Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member