Notices

running lean after valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running lean after valve adjustment?

i did a valve adjustment on my turbo SiR yesterday. i follow the steps in the helms manual and i used 0.007" on the intake and 0.008" on the exhaust.

this is what's happening AFTER valve adjustment yesterday:
when at idle, the a/f gauge will go to extreme red(lean) sometimes going overboard. when i accelerate, it will go to rich side momentarily then jumps back to lean but when i step on it some more it will go to 4-5 LED from full rich.

this is BEFORE valve adjustment:
when at idle, the a/f gauge will be on the rich side unless prolong idling will it move to the lean side. when i accelerate, it will stay on the rich side and when i let go of the gas pedal it will jump to lean side momentarily which is normal.

i know this has something to do with the valve adjustmen but why? what's the explanation of this happening. i just did valve adjust and change oil. i didn't even touch my VAFC(i'm using the hack) at all and i followed the helms manual on valve adjustment.

the reason i readjusted my valves was, my mechanic did it with the engine hot and i think he adjusted a little bit too tight coz my vacuum reading drops to 18 instead of 20 before he adjusted my valves and there are times that idle would hunt.

any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running lean after valve adjustment? (_Endless_)

bump
Old 08-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running lean after valve adjustment? (_Endless_)

The only thing I can think of, is that when you tuned your car, the valves were off enough to take in less or let less air escape the motor... Now after your valve adjustment, the valves are in correct spec and are taking in and letting out the correct amount of air, thus changing you air/fuel ratio... Seems likely to me... HTH...