Notices

Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:)

Here's the dillio...I'm trying to buildup an h22 closed deck block for turbo duties...

I'm aiming for 600+whp and would like to have your guys' input on these rods. With 600+whp, I mean tha t600whp will be the minumum amount of power I'll be happy with

crower billet-
they have been tested and tried, will it be worth teh money?

Eagle rods-
low price...been proven in motors up to 500hp to my knowlegde. Will they hold up to the constant abuse of 600+horsepower run after run?

Pauter rods-
kinda spendy, but the king of Rods from what I hear. I haven't heard anything about these guys...can someone give me some input on Pauter?

carillo rods-
No information found at all...please list pricing info and waht these things are capable of.

does anyone know anything about the impo performance titamium rods?

if there are others I should consider, please let me know

[Modified by 1320development, 6:50 PM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (1320development)

crower steel's and the pauters would be my top choices for that kinda power
Old 01-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (SpoolinLS)

Crower

I would be hesitant on the Eagles
Old 01-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (1320development)

anybody have any info on Manley, cunningham, or oliver?
Old 01-08-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Manley makes Rods for the Domestics. They are well-known and trusted over there but this is a branch out. I heard good things about them at the Domestic shops
Old 01-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (RH+G)

we made 667 on crowers and they work fine. They have been proven time and time again. To be honest though the next rods that are going in my motor are carillo. They are much lighter and stronger according to the big dog domestic guys I know.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:11 PM

I like pauter rods..
Old 01-08-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (ekb18c)

My Crower rods work fine.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (C-Redrum)

Manleys are my choice but I think Carrillos are a good rod as well. Im upset with the pin bushings of the crowers although they are a tried rod as well. Id stay away from eagles if it were my motor.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (ninesecrx)

We have been selling the Manleys for $575 shipped. Got tired of fixing Crower pin bushings with no support from them. Manley makes them for the Prelude but have not sold a set yet.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (earl)

Pauters are right around the same price as the crowers. I have the pauters and like them, but I am only making 300 hp right now. They are nice, beefy looking rods. Here's one of mine.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (SilverLudeSi)

Crower....broken
Carillo....broken
Pauter....using them for next season, we'll see how it goes.
Eagle....I wouldn't waste my money!!

It causes ALOT of damage when a rod breaks, do it right the first time so you don't have to do it twice!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:23 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (tony1)

Crower....broken
Carillo....broken

It causes ALOT of damage when a rod breaks, do it right the first time so you don't have to do it twice!
which handled more hp the crower or carillo? i'm only looking to go 600-650 on the carillo rods.at 900+ hp i think anything will break if something goes wrong right??
Old 01-08-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (tony1)

Crower....broken
Carillo....broken

Which Pauter rods are you going to use? The titanium ones?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (Stock@$$GSR)

We're useing the regular steel pauters, can't afford to have 5 backup motors with titanium rods! I might be able to justify it on one motor, but we've got to be realistic, we're not gonna go all year on one motor!

The carillo rods handled more power than the crower but broke in a different spot. The crower broke in the middle and the big end still spun perfectly on the crank. The carillo ripped the wristpin out of the top of the rod. Again, the rest still spun on the crank. The carillo are good rods and very light, but not the strongest.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crower....broken
Carillo....broken

very true on all of that... as far as the pauter's go we use them in alot of our motors and never had a problem. does anyone have any experience with cunninghams.. i have heard alot of good things about them....
Old 01-08-2003, 09:01 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (vtecdoc)

I dont have experience with cunninghams but I have heard they are junk. Has anyone broken a pauter rod before and if so how?? I ask because there is a guy down here by the name of steven wright with wrighttouch racing. He runs consistent 9.6-9.99 on a fwd DSM.some of you guys who run idrc may know him. He claims he has broken every rod except for a pauter. he has never seen in 20+ years of building motors a pauter rod break. I know they are not unbreakable but would like to hear if someone broke one.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (MotorMatrix.com)

yeah, I would like to know too. I'm considering Pauter on my next build.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (BillyBob)

i know of one other crower snapping in half and i have a bent crower at my shop as well... i didnt bend it... someone race car did... as far as pauters i have never heard a single bad thing about them and they have been working fine for us... im more than likely going to use them in my motor as well

as far as eagles... i always look at things as u get what u pay for... personally i wouldnt trust them for any high amount of power

cunninghams... iv heard good things... but i still havent heard much so i cant say
Old 01-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (ek9t)

I heard from pretty good sources that Steph was putting Cunninghams out the side of several of his blocks. I did see the hole in the block but it could have been another brand of rod.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:33 PM
New User

99.9% of you should disreguard this post, nary a one of you will approach the power to break an Eagle, Crower, and most not even a stock rod. I'd hate to see everyone start spending the ultra boocoo bucks on Pauter just because "no one has ever broken one". Pin bushings on the other hand, that's a concern...
Old 01-08-2003, 09:39 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (VaporTrail)

99.9% of you should disreguard this post, nary a one of you will approach the power to break an Eagle, Crower, and most not even a stock rod. I'd hate to see everyone start spending the ultra boocoo bucks on Pauter just because "no one has ever broken one". Pin bushings on the other hand, that's a concern...
John give me a break. what an ignorant statemant. Maybe its late at night or you are drunk?? A ton of people break stock rods on a 75-100 shot of spray let alone 10psi of boost. we know that eagle rods are easily breakable at anything over 400whp. Crower and pauter are almost the same price. What exactly does you statement have to do with anything?? and why would you care how people spend their money?? do you not have an account to sell pauter??
Old 01-08-2003, 09:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (MotorMatrix.com)

Actually, if you wanna get technical, I really don't sell much of anything besides Hondata, so it's not sales related at all. All I was trying to say is, what applies to a race car doesn't always translate to what applies to a street car. I like to see people make smart choices, and not waste money. I am neither drunk nor tired, and you really don't know me well enough to question my motivation for my above post. You just have to understand the way these boards work. They get all built up on a product, saying its the greatest thing ever, then one person says one bad thing, it all turns the opposite (look up Golden Eagle). I just get tired of hearing that type of non sense. Anything can break with poor tuning or when something just plain goes wrong. Personally, I've never seen any broken Honda rods that didn't have a bearing, oil, or water injestion failure, and I've been doing this stuff for a long time now.

[Modified by VaporTrail, 1:47 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:) (VaporTrail)

Pauter cost about the same as crower and a million people use crower. What's wrong with recommending a stronger rod at the same price? There are actually a few people here building race cars. I would use pauter on a street car as well for piece of mind.

Another thing to consider is the quality of the rest of the rod. Bushings, rod bolts, clearances. The cheaper rods don't have nearly as good of quality control at the factory. I've opened a set of eagle rods and the wristpin didn't even fit. They had to go straight from the box to the machine shop! The strength of the rod bolts will have an effect on bearings as well. That's one of the weak points of a factory rod.

[Modified by tony1, 12:54 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:53 PM
New User

I would too, honestly, I don't really recommend Crower to anyone anymore, god knows how much I hate that ******* company. No company has screwed me worse than them, and the only reason their rods are in my motor is because they were compensation, and cost no money out of pocket. Never mind I really don't care anymore and I have lost motivation to explain what I was getting at

Quick Reply: Rods, what do you think of the brands...?Hardcore guys urged to reply:)